GPS Off from actual location

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I don't know when this started since I haven't really been using the maps lately but I decided to since the Nokia Maps updated and Nokia Transport came out...but I realized that my GPS is off by about a block (using the Lumia 710)...is anyone else experiencing this? Any way to fix that?

Definitely not making me too happy especially w/ the issue abt the Me Tile and now my GPS is off...what happened? it used to be perfect now i'm finding all these issues :/

paradiseware.com

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
With my Nokia 800 (and probably all devices) the GPS is more accurate with a clear view to the sky. Without that it uses "assisted GPS" which I find to be off by a block or sometimes a mile. Is there a setting for GPS accuracy in the app you are using? If so set it to the highest.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right...i find that it's pretty spotty...if i go into Nokia Drive, it'd give me a place that's like a block away but if i exit it and go back in after a while..it gives me the right location...maybe it's the A-GPS that's messing around..lol thanks

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have found that sometimes when I use a third-party app, like 4th and Mayor, that uses geo-location, it is not very accurate. If I go into the native Maps application it quickly finds my location (with frightening accuracy). I then refresh the previous app, and all is right with the world. This works in areas without line of sight to the sky, too.

As far as I know, the "a" in the a-GPS is mostly for when first grabbing the signal, or when the GPS satellite is not working. Even more-so, I think it is for the mobile operator to roughly track our every movement, without wasting too much of our devices' battery power. ;)

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I have found that sometimes when I use a third-party app, like 4th and Mayor, that uses geo-location, it is not very accurate. If I go into the native Maps application it quickly finds my location (with frightening accuracy). I then refresh the previous app, and all is right with the world. This works in areas without line of sight to the sky, too.

I have this exact same issue and use the exact same "fix."

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
GPS can take a long time for accuracy, up to two minutes or more. Old Windows Mobile devices used to have download a file periodically that contained info on the GPS satellites to improve pickup time.

Then came Assisted GPS which also used your cell towers (needs to be 3 of them) and by measuring the signal from all 3 towers it can roughly put you in a spot. Assisted GPS also guesses that if you are driving 60 MPH into a tunnel that you will keep driving 60MPH thru the tunnel until you get GPS signal again.

The iPhone was the first to change this, first by really implementing AGPS and by using WiFi access points as well. The MAC of your WiFi point never changes and provided you are broadcasting it then at someone point a company has driven by and marked the location of that MAC. WiFi is quite accurate, though can be quite off. If you use a WiFi only tablet or an iPod Touch this is the only way to get location services.

Your Windows Phone uses all three, GPS, AGPS and WiFi location. WiFi first, which can be way off. Then AGPS. Then GPS. GPS can take the longest, but is the most accurate. It usually requires line of sight with the sky.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
GPS can take a long time for accuracy, up to two minutes or more. Old Windows Mobile devices used to have download a file periodically that contained info on the GPS satellites to improve pickup time.

Then came Assisted GPS which also used your cell towers (needs to be 3 of them) and by measuring the signal from all 3 towers it can roughly put you in a spot. Assisted GPS also guesses that if you are driving 60 MPH into a tunnel that you will keep driving 60MPH thru the tunnel until you get GPS signal again.

The iPhone was the first to change this, first by really implementing AGPS and by using WiFi access points as well. The MAC of your WiFi point never changes and provided you are broadcasting it then at someone point a company has driven by and marked the location of that MAC. WiFi is quite accurate, though can be quite off. If you use a WiFi only tablet or an iPod Touch this is the only way to get location services.

Your Windows Phone uses all three, GPS, AGPS and WiFi location. WiFi first, which can be way off. Then AGPS. Then GPS. GPS can take the longest, but is the most accurate. It usually requires line of sight with the sky.

Oh, how I miss QuickGPS. It was like magic.

Very thorough. Thanks. I can always remember that Windows Phone uses three types of location services, but I can never what they are or how they work, so thanks!

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an iPhone 4S, and when we go some place and try to check in on Foursquare, we both have trouble getting an accurate GPS lock in some places. It's not limited to WP devices; this sort of thing happens with all phones.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have pretty much the same issues with my Arrive. The HTC compass app works fine but any other GPS/Compass map seems to be off by 90-180*. From things I've read online about it, most people have the same issues. At least with the Arrive. Perhaps other HTC phones suffer the same fate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb