So...has anyone used Straight Talk GSM service...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just read that someone brought an ATT Pre 3 phone over to Straight Talk GSM and it works just fine with 3G, etc, and unlimited everything at $45 a month. I was going to purchase a cheap Focus Flash and do the same thing for my wife. Has anyone does this with a Windows Phone (or any other phone) and had success with decent (and when I say decent I mean faster than Sprint) speeds and overall good coverage, specifically in Indiana?

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I am on Straight Talk and use a Focus Flash that I purchased on Ebay. I don't know what your coverage is like with AT&T or T-Mobile but you can check it out on their websites and find out. Overall, I love it. There will be some settings that you will have to tinker with, but it isn't hard and works great. Love my Flash!!!!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It sounds good on paper but its useless if you can't do any kind of streaming or tethering which is what they say is prohibited in the TOS.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
You can do those things, just kinda watch how much you do it. I've watched YouTube and streamed music as well. I just kinda watch doing it to much.
Honestly, I love it though. So much cheaper and easier to deal with.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You can do those things, just kinda watch how much you do it. I've watched YouTube and streamed music as well. I just kinda watch doing it to much.

The only problem I can see is if they cut you off for breaking the TOS, you'll probably lose your phone number, but that might not be a big deal for a lot of people.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I can see is if they cut you off for breaking the TOS, you'll probably lose your phone number, but that might not be a big deal for a lot of people.

That is something I am concerned with because my business number is tied to my cell phone. That is why I just monitor what I do. I don't usually need to stream music or watch YouTube vids anyway because I can just do what when I am near my computer. But I have done both at times. I just limit the amount so far.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to go for it. The coverage map says I'm covered if I choose the AT&T option, but it isn't available for T-Mobile coverage yet. I think what they do is simply use AT&T towers and have to pay something, but provide us with the same service for a cheaper price (I would assume if coverage is as good as that map is, and it looks like similar coverage to AT&T). Someone is letting a Focus Flash go for $100, so I'm debating if I'm going to get it today since I JUST bought an iPod Touch 32gb for $175 last night lol.

Decisions....

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to go for it. The coverage map says I'm covered if I choose the AT&T option, but it isn't available for T-Mobile coverage yet. I think what they do is simply use AT&T towers and have to pay something, but provide us with the same service for a cheaper price (I would assume if coverage is as good as that map is, and it looks like similar coverage to AT&T). Someone is letting a Focus Flash go for $100, so I'm debating if I'm going to get it today since I JUST bought an iPod Touch 32gb for $175 last night lol.

Decisions....

Yes you will get the same coverage as AT&T does. If you want to see it better look at the AT&T website.
Like I said, I'm happy with mine like this so far. Also, I will tell you that the best service for Straight Talk is through their Facebook page. I also might be able to help you as well. Since I have the Focus Flash.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Not easier to deal with at all, especially if you own a smartphone and don't have internet at home. Can't live without being able to stream something, I stream and tether all the time on my T-mobile 10GB plan and make it all the way to the last week without being throttled.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Not easier to deal with at all, especially if you own a smartphone and don't have internet at home. Can't live without being able to stream something, I stream and tether all the time on my T-mobile 10GB plan and make it all the way to the last week without being throttled.

You also spend twice as much for your plan every month than I do. I stream some, but as for tethering I haven't done a Dev Unlock to get that. At times I could see that being handy, but I haven't needed it yet. Plus even if I wanted to do that plan like you have, it would be worthless to me since T-Mobile doesn't have service where I am.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That's great to see you are able to tether. I'm coming from a Pre 3 that I had on ST and I'm new to WP7 so forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question. Are you able to tether with the phone's built-in internet sharing or do you have some form of homebrew a-la freetether on webOS?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, can't believe I didn't see this.

I use Straight Talk, and the data for sure isn't unlimited. There's some sort of hidden cap, but they won't tell you what it is. The consensus is it's around 2GB/mo, with probably 70-100MB per day (2GB/30 days is about 68MB a day).

You can stream video if you want, they won't catch you for that, instead you need to watch your daily and monthly data usage.

evenmetal99

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have this setup and it works great......but I cannot get mms (picture mailing) to work. Any ideas on this? I am using a Samsung focus btw.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have this setup and it works great......but I cannot get mms (picture mailing) to work. Any ideas on this? I am using a Samsung focus btw.

I know that to get MMS working on my Focus Flash I had to download the Wireless Manager from the Samsung Zone apps. I think that for the Focus it is Network Profile.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Plain Focus or Focus S? if plain Focus use "Network Profile" instead of "Wireless Manager"..

I know that to get MMS working on my Focus Flash I had to download the Wireless Manager from the Samsung Zone apps. I think that for the Focus it is Network Profile.

NET10 / StraightTalk

I found this the other day on Howard Forums, follow this and change all the settings and then reboot your phone. If done right then MMS, Bing Maps, TellME Services should now work correctly. Been setup like this for a few days now and everything is working..

Samsung Focus S or Focus Flash on Straight Talk APN Settings

Assume your are using a AT&T Sim Card..

Steps:

1. Download "Wireless Manager" from "Samsung Zone" in the Marketplace

2. Go into your phone's Settings > Cellular > Data Roaming Options > Set to "Don't Roam"

3. Select edit or add Apn and enter this info under each field
apn name:att.mvno
proxy server: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
proxy port: 80
Save and Reboot Phone

4. Go into "Wireless Manager" --- UNCHECK "Automatic APN" - then Select "AT&T 4G"

5. Go back 1 screen and Click "Edit APN"

There should be 3 APNs (internet_line, mms_line, softap_line)

Enter the settings exactly as listed below in each of the fields.

___

APN name: internet_line

Profile category: internet (always on)

APN: att.mvno

Auth Type: none

Username:

Password:

Proxy address:

Prox domain:

Proxy Port:

_____

APN name: mms_line

Profile Category: mms

MMSC (Activated): http://mmsc.cingular.com/

Auth type: none

Username:

Password:

Proxy address: 66.209.11.33

Proxy domain: mmsc.cingular.com

Proxy port: 80

____

APN name: softap_line

Profile category: other

Auth type: none

Username:

Password:

Proxy address:

Proxy Domain:

Proxy Port

====

Enjoy

Corepc

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to get data to work on my Focus, but I haven't had any luck :/

How long have you had the service active? I got ST the other day and my data was not working for a few hours. I called them...they did something to my account...and data was working. You may try giving them a call.

Reactions: Shark87

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Any Other Net10/Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Sim User's receive "Tango Update yet" beside me..Plugged Into Zune and checked for updates, And Bam install started

I had to rebuild my apn data after installing has usual. Still running test but everything is working, have not tried txt with video attachment yet..

jay john88

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
According to wiki

"Straight Talk is an operator, through a partnership between TracFone and Walmart, offering several different rate plans; a $30 limited plan, $45 30-day unlimited plan and a $60 unlimited international calling plan. Discounts are available for purchasing multiple months of the unlimited plan. Straight Talk is a Mobile Virtual Network operator (MVNO) offering both CDMA and GSM support. The CDMA network uses Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA 1xRTT wireless networks and the GSM side makes use of either T-Mobile's or AT&T's GSM networks."

But i used while i was roaming around UK couple of months ago.I personally dont suggest them because they are not supportive too much upto the end.Prior to February 2013, Straight Talk allowed customers to bring an AT&T GSM phone or to purchase a SIM card that offers service on AT&T's network. Thereafter, America Movil had temporarily discontinued both options from both the Straight Talk and NET10 websites. In addition, most references (besides support articles) had been edited to remove any mentions to AT&T-compatible service. Currently, since early Fall 2013, the aforementioned features have been reintroduced to both Straight Talk and NET10 along with the introduction of LTE on phones using AT&T's network and a soft data cap of 3 GB.

Than i was forced to shift to an international sim named XXsim ,i've got excellent service,a complete service better than Straight Talk.Just search its service profile

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb