No Angry Birds Space for WP

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Angry Birds Space won't land on Windows Phone, Redmond gets no stars - Engadget

Now I couldn't care less about the actual game. I think it is a remarkably stupid game and label people who play it stupid unless they prove otherwise.

What I find interesting in this news is the reason the drug addicts (their boss said they were the ones driving innovation in gaming at GDC and this statement can only be result of drug use) that run the company gave. They said that they would have to rewrite the game completely. First of all their game is pretty simple to rewrite (considerring the number of sales it gets). Second if the versions for Android and iOS are not different they should be written in C++ and we know that MS will allow native code Angry Birds on the platform simply because it is so popular.

My theory is that this is extortion. I believe MS paid them to port the original Angry Birds and they are going in public declaring that it is a lot of work to port their abomination to WP in order to make MS pay them again to port Angry Birds Space. I hope MS do not bend.

What do you think about this?

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Obviously they want Microsoft to pay them to port. Who doesn't? Of course, I also believe WP may not be an altogether lucrative market.

Regardless, I think Microsoft should take more steps to gouge developer interest. Throwing app contests for free WPs or the like is an inexpensive and effective solution.

Last edited:

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
By the time they got it ported and tested WP8 will be out; WP7 just doesn't make economic sense for Rovio at this time. By the same token it doesn't even make economic sense for Microsoft to pay Rovio to port it to WP7.

What does make economic sense is for Rovio to do a version for Metro/WinRT that will work on Win8 desktops, WoA8 tablets and WP8 phones. That can be purchased once and installed on all your W8 devices, and that shares game history across all versions.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Regardless, I think Microsoft should take more steps to gouge developer interest. Throwing app contests for free WPs or the like is an inexpensive and effective solution.

they alredy do that like every week!

By the time they got it ported and tested WP8 will be out; WP7 just doesn't make economic sense for Rovio at this time. By the same token it doesn't even make economic sense for Microsoft to pay Rovio to port it to WP7.

What does make economic sense is for Rovio to do a version for Metro/WinRT that will work on Win8 desktops, WoA8 tablets and WP8 phones. That can be purchased once and installed on all your W8 devices, and that shares game history across all versions.

WP7 games will work on WP8/W8 ... btw soo I dont think thats the reason.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
WP7 games will work on WP8/W8 ... btw soo I dont think thats the reason.

WP8 is about to become a small part of a very large Win8 ecosystem. It makes more economic sense for Rovio to target the Win8 ecosystem than to target the WP7 ecosystem.

We assume that WP7 games run well on WP8, but we don't know how well WP7 games work on Win8 and WoA8 in those different hardware environments. Do they run full-screen on a tablet? How about a desktop? Do they run in a Metro-snap window? How do they handle differences in aspect ratio? Do they take advantage of Win8 gestures on a tablet? How well do they work in a mouse environment? Do WP7 settings integrate with the Win8 charms bar the way it does in Pirates Love Daisy's? Microsoft has put a lot of work into Win8 to make sure that WinRT apps run well across multiple form factors. Work that they never put into WP7.

Why should Rovio write for the WP7 API and *hope* that the game will meet their standards on tablets and desktops, when they can write for the Win8 Metro API and *ensure* it? Why go through the hassle of developing a game via the phone emulator when they can use WinRT and develop and do nearly all the tuning and debugging directly on their desktop machine?

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WP8 is about to become a small part of a very large Win8 ecosystem. It makes more economic sense for Rovio to target the Win8 ecosystem than to target the WP7 ecosystem.

We assume that WP7 games run well on WP8, but we don't know how well WP7 games work on Win8 and WoA8 in those different hardware environments. Do they run full-screen on a tablet? How about a desktop? Do they run in a Metro-snap window? How do they handle differences in aspect ratio? Do they take advantage of Win8 gestures on a tablet? How well do they work in a mouse environment? Do WP7 settings integrate with the Win8 charms bar the way it does in Pirates Love Daisy's? Microsoft has put a lot of work into Win8 to make sure that WinRT apps run well across multiple form factors. Work that they never put into WP7.

Why should Rovio write for the WP7 API and *hope* that the game will meet their standards on tablets and desktops, when they can write for the Win8 Metro API and *ensure* it? Why go through the hassle of developing a game via the phone emulator when they can use WinRT and develop and do nearly all the tuning and debugging directly on their desktop machine?

we dont assume WP7 APPS will work on WP8, WE KNOW! its confirmed by MS.
they confirmed it like 1 month ago!!! and was talked about on a PODCAST last week or the week before.

im not 100% sure of the details cause im not a DEV or programer lol , but i know for a fact that they will work!

and if anything WP7 games will work BETTER on WP8 because they will get optimized like they ALWAYS do.

the only issue4 is that DEV might have to add support at a latter date with a TOOL that MS created to make it easy . sorta like they did with QUICK RESUME with MANGO ( its ogna be a little mroe complicated ) but not time consuming.

I seriously think Rovio strait up just hates MS . because MS advertised and said WP was getting Angry birds like 6months before Rovio had said YES to WP platform. they even tweeted about it and they where MAD at MS for advertising Angry Birds on WP before they had even agreed to make it. I wouldn't be surprise if they are making MS pay for that mistake.

Last edited:

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure a phone call from Microsoft and we'll see some backtracking from Rovio. It was the Chief Marketing Officer who said that, not anyone in actual day-to-day operations authority. He wouldn't be the first CMO to require foot/mouth retraction.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
You are saying people that play this game are stupid? Sounds like a ****** rant to me.

WP7 has small market share, Rovio doesnt want to have resources utilized for such a small platform. Iphone and droid users are their bread and butter and they will continue to focus on them. When market share grows, it will be a different story, but until then, continue to expect resistance from developers to develop apps for WP7 platform.

This could also be a money play by Rovio to have MS pay them $$$ to have them do it. If WP7 market share is under 2 %, they have no incentive to spend resources and $$ to port or develop extensively for the WP7 platform. If MS comes in with a bag of cash and it makes sense to Rovio to port, it would be done. Money talks as always.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this "All current Windows Phones will be up-gradable to Windows 8" is true, because you gotta think that Developers will be going crazy to make apps for Windows 8.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
the only issue4 is that DEV might have to add support at a latter date with a TOOL that MS created to make it easy . sorta like they did with QUICK RESUME with MANGO ( its ogna be a little mroe complicated ) but not time consuming.

How many apps *still* don't have Mango quick resume? That merely needed a recompile and resubmit to the app store. And yet for many developers it apparently wasn't worth even doing that little step.

I said "work well", not "work". And by "work well" I mean work well by WP8 standards, not work well by WP7 standards. A flagship app for WP8 needs to take advantage of the new WP8 features, not just be running in WP7 compatibility mode.

The WP7 market is just too small for Rovio to bother with at the moment; no company has unlimited resources, they have to pick and choose their battles. Given the realities of the current market, given the resources to develop for multiple platforms, it makes the most financial sense to target iOS, Android, and WinRT. WinRT, because a single app gets them customers on the desktop, tablet, and phones. If you're one of those people that believes that WP8 will run *well* on current WP7 devices, then you should also believe that a WinRT version of Angry Birds Space will be running *well* on those same devices once WP8 ships, so there there is no real upside to developing a new version for WP7.

As much as we might like Rovio to do a WP7 version, they aren't a charity, and they aren't Santa Claus. It has to make economic sense to them, and if it makes economic sense then they will do it, whether they like Microsoft or not, because money generally beats emotion in these sorts of conundra.

I really hope this "All current Windows Phones will be up-gradable to Windows 8" is true, because you gotta think that Developers will be going crazy to make apps for Windows 8.

Hopefully WP8 will tilt things in our favor. The Windows 8 store already has a hundred or so apps in it, which sounds good for an unreleased OS. Except that 7 months ago Microsoft handed out 3000 machines preloaded with Win 8 and the Metro developer software...

WinRT is a huge shift for a .NET or Win32 developer, sufficiently huge that I don't think we'll see this massive surge of apps. Existing .NET and Win32 apps can't be easily ported to Metro as the entire API has changed and 99% of the features that developers are used to are simply missing and Microsoft has repeatedly stated in the developer forums that developers should suck it up, that these features won't ever be made available in WinRT.

There will be a lot of Win8 Metro apps, the sheer number of machines running Windows 8 next year will ensure that. But I don't think it will be the sort of surge that will overwhelm Apple's lead anytime soon. A lot of developers are taking a pass on Metro for now, their customers are served well by the standard Win32 and .NET apps running on the X86 desktop. In my own company we looked at WinRT and iOS for our tablet apps and decided on iOS for now, and will revisit the WinRT question later next year or whenever Win 9 comes out.

Last edited:

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If WP7 market share is under 2 %, they have no incentive to spend resources and $$ to port or develop extensively for the WP7 platform.

Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone. I think this CMO is full of it. Rovio would release it for a touchscreen fridge if it ever came to be.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone.

It makes sense if HP paid them to write it, the way Microsoft did for WP7. You notice Rovio's not in a rush to release a verison of Angry Birds in Space for webOS.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Which would be a great argument if I didn't have Angry Birds on my never officially released webOS phone. I think this CMO is full of it. Rovio would release it for a touchscreen fridge if it ever came to be.

WP7 has angry birds too..soooooooo?

We are talking about the new Angry Birds, Rovio has all the leverage on MS, Rovio has no incentive to port this game over and utilizing their resources for a small platform unless compensated. If you think Rovio would do it for a touchscreen fridge, you are right, but it would probably be 10,000 touch screen fridges. MS wants/needs to have angry birds on the platform, Rovio doesnt need to do anything. All Rovio needs to do is to continue pushing out new angry birds games for their top clients and MS is not one of them.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
WP7 might not be dead but it might also might not be at the level where it makes economic sense for them to concentrate. Some of the angry responses on here would make you think rovio were gassing puppies.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Speaking to Reuters* Rovio Chief Executive Mikael Hed said: "We are working towards getting Angry Birds Space to WP7," but confirmed a launch date had not been set yet.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
"Update: Reuters now reports a quote from Rovio CEO Mikael Hed saying that Angry Birds Space will actually have a Windows Phone 7 version, which is currently being worked on. We don't know what to make of this, as there are now two high-placed members of the Rovio team saying completely contradictory things, though if we had to take anyone on his word, the CEO is probably the one to heed."

Piggyback

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
"Update: Reuters now reports a quote from Rovio CEO Mikael Hed saying that Angry Birds Space will actually have a Windows Phone 7 version, which is currently being worked on. We don't know what to make of this, as there are now two high-placed members of the Rovio team saying completely contradictory things, though if we had to take anyone on his word, the CEO is probably the one to heed."

Piggyback

Well, there you go. I guess this thread has served its purpose.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
webOS is dead. WP7 is far from it.

WP7 has about 3 months of life left if you're a developer and about 9 months of life left if you're a user. Unless it turns out that the Gen1 & 2 handsets can't run Apollo after all, in which case WP7 has about a year of life left if you're a developer and about 2 1/5 years of life left if you're a user.

WP7 is close to EOL, it's just a question of how close. WP8 isn't a minor point upgrade, they're swapping out half the OS and aligning its direction with their desktop and tablet strategies for the next decade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3