Live tiles not refreshing

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
My live tiles have stayed the same for about a week. Don't know what to do. I have restarted the phone but nothing changes. What can it be??

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
Yes, even weather tile from weather channel is not refreshing.they are enabled in background tasks and always worked until recently.

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
No. It's also weird that my flixster tile and sports scores tile had updated recently, but nothing else.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Sports Scores works with a push server, (can update every 10 minutes) so different than post-Mango apps that use background tasks, which work off a scheduled pull, that can run more often than every 30 minutes.

Have to ask, but you do have data turned on, right? Can't think of why all your tiles would stop working. Apps will stop updating if you don't open them for more than two weeks. But a simple toggle (open/close) gets them going again. I also assume you have tried a soft reset (power off/on).

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe there is something where if you don't open an app for a couple of weeks its live tile stops updating. Try opening each of the affected apps and see if the tiles become live again.

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess Windows Phone is not ready for prime time. The "trump" feature doesn't work, so why bother?
This happen to me 2 weeks ago. Live tiles stopped updating for no reason. I have thread on here relating to this. I uninstalled and reinstalled all my apps and this appeared to work but last night the live tiles stop working again.:mad: This is very frustrating. The live tiles is one of the killer features of windows phone and it doesn't work.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I too am not completely happy with the Live Tiles performance either. After a year of having the Quantum I finally did a reset because a month ago they stopped working one by one. But I wouldn't completely blame the OS or MS because one app I use called Hockey Tracker would stop updating scores and the dev almost always said his hosting service was at fault.
So crimson-what do you mean by "why bother"? Think I'm going to give it up and go to ios or droid? Not a f'g chance!

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I too am not completely happy with the Live Tiles performance either. After a year of having the Quantum I finally did a reset because a month ago they stopped working one by one. But I wouldn't completely blame the OS or MS because one app I use called Hockey Tracker would stop updating scores and the dev almost always said his hosting service was at fault.
So crimson-what do you mean by "why bother"? Think I'm going to give it up and go to ios or droid? Not a f'g chance!

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

Since Live Tiles don't work, what's the big advantage of Windows Phone over iOS?

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
Well I got my live tiles working again. Not sure what exactly worked, but I did not reset my phone. I disabled all the background agents, then clicked on the tiles to turn them on again. That may have done it because slowly my tiles were updating again. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled, but I don't think that did it. Anyways I'm happy I didn't reset. The only time I want to reinstall everything is when I get a lumia.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Jay or someone from WP Central can shed any light on why the WP Central tile, despite being a great app, never (for me, anyway) updates? It will only refresh once I have opened the app and updated the news feed.

As it stands, the live tile merely shows me the last story I have already seen....

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Jay or someone from WP Central can shed any light on why the WP Central tile, despite being a great app, never (for me, anyway) updates? It will only refresh once I have opened the app and updated the news feed.

As it stands, the live tile merely shows me the last story I have already seen....

Check your background tasks and see if it has been disabled. If it has just toggle the live the tile option in the program off and back on and you should be good to go.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Check your background tasks and see if it has been disabled. If it has just toggle the live the tile option in the program off and back on and you should be good to go.

You've just reminded me of what I discovered a while back...

When looking into the background tasks, I noticed it was switched off. After tapping it the box for "turn background tasks back on for this application the next time I open it" was already ticked. I came out, opened the app, and nothing. Did a soft reset, tried it again, but it seems to be 'stuck'.

:confused:

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The recent article about Weather apps inspired me to install several of the apps, to do a side by side comparison. I then quickly became reminded that Live Tiles aren't updating for me. The WPCentral live tile isn't working either. When I first downloaded WPCentral (the paid version) in December 2011, it did work for, then the live tile stopped updating, I recall uninstalling and reinstalling, and that fixed the live tile for a little but it broke again, and I then gave up.

I've found a number of posts on this site and on other sites referring to Live Tiles not working for people. For me, the "system" tiles, like email, phone, test messages, etc. work fine. But right now, I don't think a single 3rd party app's live tile works for me - and this is something I've seen others report.

Pulling together the question/suggestions I've seen here and in other posts:
- I have a Titan with the 7720 build - phone purchased end of November 2011
- yes my data connection is on
- yes, background tasks are enabled for the individual apps in question
- I did try doing a full shutdown & restart - didn't help
- these apps were all installed over the weekend (so the 2 week auto-disable doesnt come into play)
- I've had battery saver turned on (only when battery is low), so just to see what happens, I've disable that (but I don't see this as a sustainable solution).
- I've tried a battery pull - no luck
- I've tried pinning & unpinning apps - no luck
- I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling apps - no luck

I am not interested in resetting my phone - that is not an acceptable answer, as I don't want to "rebuild" my phone. This has to be fixable without needing to do this. Plus, even if resetting my phone did fix the problem, how do I know that I won't run into the issue again in another few weeks?

I also don't want to hack/unlock/sideload (see above).

My questions:
- Has anyone found a real solution to this issue?
- Has anyone contacted Microsoft about this issue?
- If I wanted to report this issue to Microsoft & see if they have a fix for this, how would I go about doing this?

thanks!

Last edited:

arzoo

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
The recent article about Weather apps inspired me to install several of the apps, to do a side by side comparison. I then quickly became reminded that Live Tiles aren't updating for me. The WPCentral live tile isn't working either. When I first downloaded WPCentral (the paid version) in December 2011, it did work for, then the live tile stopped updating, I recall uninstalling and reinstalling, and that fixed the live tile for a little but it broke again, and I then gave up.

I've found a number of posts on this site and on other sites referring to Live Tiles not working for people. For me, the "system" tiles, like email, phone, test messages, etc. work fine. But right now, I don't think a single 3rd party app's live tile works for me - and this is something I've seen others report.

Pulling together the question/suggestions I've seen here and in other posts:
- I have a Titan with the 7720 build - phone purchased end of November 2011
- yes my data connection is on
- yes, background tasks are enabled for the individual apps in question
- I did try doing a full shutdown & restart - didn't help
- these apps were all installed over the weekend (so the 2 week auto-disable doesnt come into play)
- I've had battery saver turned on (only when battery is low), so just to see what happens, I've disable that (but I don't see this as a sustainable solution).
- I've tried a battery pull - no luck
- I've tried pinning & unpinning apps - no luck
- I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling apps - no luck

I am not interested in resetting my phone - that is not an acceptable answer, as I don't want to "rebuild" my phone. This has to be fixable without needing to do this. Plus, even if resetting my phone did fix the problem, how do I know that I won't run into the issue again in another few weeks?

I also don't want to hack/unlock/sideload (see above).

My questions:
- Has anyone found a real solution to this issue?
- Has anyone contacted Microsoft about this issue?
- If I wanted to report this issue to Microsoft & see if they have a fix for this, how would I go about doing this?

thanks!

I have same phone with same exact problem. Tried everything you did. Same result - no luck. So aggravating. :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3