Zynga and WP

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
I honestly think that a major factor in many people choosing ios or Android is apps, but not 500,000 apps. Almost everyone I know play words with friends, scramble, draw something, etc. All these are now zynga apps and last I heard zynga is not interested in WP. people who like to play these games, which are millions of people, will not get a phone where they can't olay these games. If ms and Nokia really want windows phone to flourish, they desperately need zynga on board. Yes there may be some alternatives to these games, but the social factor of playing with your friends is not there, because most people are playing the zynga games.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both of your points. It absolutely is about apps; but, except for marketing bragging rights, the levels have reached such proportions that the total or highest number is not key. Also, those particular apps are indeed hot, and in my experience/circles, are especially favorites of women.

feizai77

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
It is really frustrating I must say that Zynga is not board with WP7. I use my son's iPod touch to play wwf and draw something and when I tell ppl how great wp7 is, its kinda embarrassing that I can't play these games on them. So, I carry a focus soon to be lumia and an iPod touch around... And I have tried playing it via fb, but it doesn't work on wp7. Maybe Nokia needs to write a big fat check to Zynga!

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling Zynga's holding out on supporting WP7 knowing full well that MSFT has deep pockets. They're probably waiting for MSFT to hand them a stack of cash to develop for them (like they did with Rovio for Angry Birds). At this juncture, as unfortunate it is to say, MSFT needs Zynga a lot more than zynga needs MSFT.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. The Smoked By Windows Phone event is generating a lot of buzz. It's difficult to ignore the several hundred people lined up outside Microsoft Stores. Eventually, the media and developers will start paying attention. If they can write an article about the chaotic iPhone launch, they can definitely write about this.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I honestly think that a major factor in many people choosing ios or Android is apps, but not 500,000 apps. Almost everyone I know play words with friends, scramble, draw something, etc. All these are now zynga apps and last I heard zynga is not interested in WP. people who like to play these games, which are millions of people, will not get a phone where they can't olay these games. If ms and Nokia really want windows phone to flourish, they desperately need zynga on board. Yes there may be some alternatives to these games, but the social factor of playing with your friends is not there, because most people are playing the zynga games.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

MS announced and it was reported here and at WMPoweruser that they MS are going to start making a stronger push to get the third party developers of major apps to develop for WP and that they are dedicating major financial resources to that effort in 2012. I suspect that words with friends will fit squarely in that category along with angry birds etc so that we will be on par with ios and android ecosystems.

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. The Smoked By Windows Phone event is generating a lot of buzz. It's difficult to ignore the several hundred people lined up outside Microsoft Stores. Eventually, the media and developers will start paying attention. If they can write an article about the chaotic iPhone launch, they can definitely write about this.

That campaign is good and all but unfortunately, at the end of the day, most ppl will make their decision based on apps & games. WWF and Draw Something are huge right now and to say that both are not available on WP7, it'll be a dealbreaker for most avg ppl.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Must not be a dealbreaker for those on T-mobile, the lumia 710 moved up to #3 this week in best buy sales and #2 on T-mo sales. I also can't stand seeing when apps are for Android and iOS but not WP. I don't think WP will die because of it, especially since MS and Nokia will be pushing hard to get these apps.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
The problem is also the apps not coming out at the same time on WP7 as they do on other platforms. Most of these games have a relatively short period when they're first released where they are very popular. For example, if a new game comes out for iPhone and Android and all of your friends are playing it with one another, it sucks to have to wait a few months for it to come out on WP7. Then, when it finally does come out, all of your friends have moved on to something else.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The reason Zynga and many other app developers ignore Windows Phone is really very simple, WP does not have enough market share to bother with supporting it. Until Windows Phone breaks 10% market share, which last I heard they were sub 2%, it's going to be this way.

However MS does have the $$$ to buy support of these devs. I hope they flaunt some cash to make it happen.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
We're not talking about support bucks for some devs here, as is done when the main goal is getting app counts up. Zynga is now a major, prototypical player in the App marketplace -a growing, publically-traded company with very sharp, very rich people running it at every level.

I'm not talking Nokia bucks, but if it is simply about luring or persuading -and I'm not sure that it is, it would take a major investment.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Must not be a dealbreaker for those on T-mobile, the lumia 710 moved up to #3 this week in best buy sales and #2 on T-mo sales. I also can't stand seeing when apps are for Android and iOS but not WP. I don't think WP will die because of it, especially since MS and Nokia will be pushing hard to get these apps.

You're really sort of spinning it, a bit too hard, IMO.

T-Mobile has like 10 Android phones that are equal or better spec than the Lumia 710 that all compete with each other, so it's not hard for one of only two decent Mango phones to reach the #3 spot, especially when it's almost free (if not free) on contract and those Android phones are like $199-249 on contract. That really displays just how competitive OEMs and Carriers have to be to push this platform at the moment. WP7 world-wide marketshare is very low, and even their US marketshare is very low.

T-Mobile is bleeding customers like never before, has probably the highest churn rate in the US smartphone market, and even has the worst Windows Phones available in this country (AT&T has the best, but they are overpriced when pitted against competing Android/iOS devices IMO). AT&T and Verizon have almost twice the customers of T-Mobile (if not more than that) so the Lumia 710, a free on contract phone, reaching #3 on their sales charts when 80%+ of their smartphone customers have Android smartphones says literally nothing at all. It's spin material, IMO.

The market exists outside of T-Mobile USA, and on both Verizon and Sprint WP7 is an afterthought. The iPhone 3GS is outselling most WP7 devices (if not all) on AT&T nevermind the 4 or 4S, and they have a ton of high end Android phones (so much redundancy there, IMO). Worldwide marketshare for WP7 is below 2%. It's a terrible economic decision to put that many resources into developing for the platform at the moment, because it really doens't seem to have much momentum *right now* despite how desperately the tech media and fansites are trying to push it in people's faces.

It's like complaining that Adobe doesn't port Photoshop to Linux, which is actually doing better in the desktop OS market than WP7 is doing in the smartphone market right now.

Total Android sales on T-Mobile still blow WP7 out of the water, and T-Mobile has stated that a huge majority (probably over 80%, though I'm accounting for time and being generous since then, because I'm fairly sure they said something near 90%) of their smartphone customers have Android phones. All of T-Mobile's high end phones are Android, and coincidentally they do not have issues running Zynga's addictive games and you can play Angry Birds for free if you don't mind the Ads.

Die is a bit of a radical term, since things don't really die, they just sort of fade out of relevance leading to consumers not considering them as an option. The lack of those apps suppresses adoption of the platform and really puts it out of consideration to a wide audience of potential customers. App numbers are market fodder with the way they're thrown around these days, but having a very high app count increases the likelyhood that your platform will have everything that a wider variety of users will need, and at a higher quality since competition for users in that ecosystem will be much higher (you won't be able to get away with putting out crap like Board Express or IM+ because you simply won't sale to many users due to better alternatives existing).

Last edited:

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what was said above about zynga holding out for big money from MS. They probably heard that MS was paying good money for apps and saw $$$$.

While MS and nokia both need zynga, zynga isn't setting the stock world on fire, i'd bet by years end MS has around 5% of the market, maybe a little more, and while that's a small market share, it's still a lot of people.
Considering that zynga games use has hit a peak (not a good peak if you are an investor) getting the games in the hands of windows phone users sure would be a nice way to get those numbers to incline again.

These games do matter, but they are trendy. They will only be good until the next best thing comes out.
Zynga should also be careful about ignoring popular devices.
Let's say windows does start catching on faster, people will eventually find games that others will play that work on all three major platforms.

Honestly, it would appear MS are playing a game of chicken, let's hope zynga flinches first (for my wifes sake, i don't play any of their games).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is it's about market share. I'd like to play Words With Friends and Draw Something too, but I bought my Lumia 900 fully aware that it wasn't available for WP7.

I'm alright with not always having all of the most popular apps all the time, after being a Mac user continually since the first Mac was introduced, through the lean years, I'm totally used to making a sacrifice to have the better system IMO.

I have a lot of confidence in WP7 now that Microsoft has reinvigorated their efforts on it and with Nokia involved. A little patience is all that's needed I think. It may be a slow burn, but Microsoft has deep pockets and they are committed to the phone's success. It's not something like the Zune that they can afford to just walk away from.

Smartphones are much too important not to have a presence in. That's why I am counting on Microsoft to be relentless with WP, just like they were with the Xbox, and eventually the market share is going to reflect that.

What a lot of people forget when they are looking at the market share percentages is that roughly 50-60% of people still don't have smartphones, so there is a huge population out there still left to tap into that aren't committed to one platform.

Then you have people who are completely willing to switch, like myself. I went from Blackberry to Android to WP7. I'm not married to any of them, if someone else has done something truly amazing by the next time I'm ready to buy a new phone, I wouldn't rule out another OS switch.

Though after my experience with Android, it would take a miracle for me to go back to that platform. :dry

kbx4

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I can live without Zynga

While Zynga languishes in paradigm paralysis, I hope WP users will have gotten tired of waiting for zynga and have moved on... I LOVE Words By Post, it's actually much BETTER than WWF (and it's cross-platform), and the more WP users that use Duudle, and other games similar to some of zynga's most popular, the better they will get and the less we'll miss Draw Something.

I'm tired of stoking zynga's ego by begging them to develop for wp. WP already smokes the competition, let's smoke Zynga too. That said, why isn't there at least an xbox live rival to some of these games? MS is missing the boat too, IMO.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It is really frustrating I must say that Zynga is not board with WP7. I use my son's iPod touch to play wwf and draw something and when I tell ppl how great wp7 is, its kinda embarrassing that I can't play these games on them. So, I carry a focus soon to be lumia and an iPod touch around... And I have tried playing it via fb, but it doesn't work on wp7. Maybe Nokia needs to write a big fat check to Zynga!

really? you carry an ipod around just to play 2 apps? ok.....

words with friends = words by post, spell it, wordfeud, wordfraud, ect... my wife has an iphone and we both play Words by post together, just as fun as wwf, who cares what everyone else uses? its the same damn game! in addition, zynga games will on wp soon enough, nothing embarrassing about not having zynga games...

scramble = wordament, which i actually like way better!

draw something = draw and guess... this type of game has been around in all app stores for awhile now, zynga just made it popular. i personally dont like it... there is no point. no winner or loser.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3