XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I have a quantum and used the MFG to change me mobile operator to get the update and then back again. All currently installed apps work fine, but when an update comes and I try to download it it downloads but then doesn't install and now the app is 'stuck' in a mode where when you press/hold all the options to pin or delete are all grayed out along with the app icon.

    I've tried to reinstall from the marketplace website, reboot the phone, turn off WiFi and try with 3G, all that stuff, to no avail.

    Hopefully someone has a better idea how I can get this back working, and without a factory reset, although I think that might be the only option.
  2. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    I have a quantum and used the MFG to change me mobile operator to get the update and then back again. All currently installed apps work fine, but when an update comes and I try to download it it downloads but then doesn't install and now the app is 'stuck' in a mode where when you press/hold all the options to pin or delete are all grayed out along with the app icon.

    I've tried to reinstall from the marketplace website, reboot the phone, turn off WiFi and try with 3G, all that stuff, to no avail.

    Hopefully someone has a better idea how I can get this back working, and without a factory reset, although I think that might be the only option.
    I haven't heard of people messing with their phones branding to force the update. I though they just used this: [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List: 7.10.8107 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates - xda-developers
  3. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Yeah, but this is much easier....doesn't address the main question though...do you think I'm SOL?.
  4. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    Yeah, but this is much easier....doesn't address the main question though...do you think I'm SOL?.
    Yeah definitely looks easier.. lol

    I don't know. Never seen this method used. Probably need a hard reset or maybe the update downloaded the wrong cabs or something.
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 03-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.
  5. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    I did a full reset and just have to install my apps again, not that big of a deal really. But in general yes, it was much easier to change one key in the registry than go through all the hoops of the .xda stuff.
  6. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    I did a full reset and just have to install my apps again, not that big of a deal really. But in general yes, it was much easier to change one key in the registry than go through all the hoops of the .xda stuff.
    what hoops? you download a couple of files and then run a batch file. oh and you also don't have to reset your device.
  7. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    You know, it's funny really. You come and ask for advice/opinion on a fix to something and all you get is advice/opinions to change the past or get criticised for your method however valid it is (quite possibly I did the registry change wrong, I'm only human..).

    I might suggest that if you want to reply to a post, you actually address the present and the issue at hand and not something that cannot be undone or 'corrected' to your method.
  8. Dagolara's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Only thing I can think of is after you got the updates when you re-branded you possibly entered a string wrong. I went through MFG and have been updating apps flawlessly thus far.
  9. slinky826's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    If you're on AT&T, make sure the you put the proper string in, ATT-US. I used this method back in January and it worked flawlessly. I've been getting app updates as well. Only thing noticeably absent is the AT&T app store from the marketplace.

    And I did try the cab loader with no success first, which is why I used the MFG method instead. Its easy and there is no need for any external files.
  10. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    Nope, I set the MobileOperator key back to ATT-US...no dobut.
  11. slinky826's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Hmmm, not sure what to say then. As I said, I did this back in January with no issues. Keep us updated on whether or no your apps keep updating.
  12. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky826 View Post
    Hmmm, not sure what to say then. As I said, I did this back in January with no issues. Keep us updated on whether or no your apps keep updating.
    Will do, thanks Slinky. Reinstalling my apps wasn't a big deal, I keep a trim phone. :-)

    Still have the .8107 update too!
  13. slinky826's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    Will do, thanks Slinky. Reinstalling my apps wasn't a big deal, I keep a trim phone. :-)

    Still have the .8107 update too!
    Same here, even though I have a number of games and such, I still have about 11 GB free on my phone.
  14. Dagolara's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky826 View Post
    If you're on AT&T, make sure the you put the proper string in, ATT-US. I used this method back in January and it worked flawlessly. I've been getting app updates as well. Only thing noticeably absent is the AT&T app store from the marketplace.

    And I did try the cab loader with no success first, which is why I used the MFG method instead. Its easy and there is no need for any external files.
    Your AT&T Featured is gone? I'm looking at mine right now.
  15. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrtoo View Post
    You know, it's funny really. You come and ask for advice/opinion on a fix to something and all you get is advice/opinions to change the past or get criticised for your method however valid it is (quite possibly I did the registry change wrong, I'm only human..).

    I might suggest that if you want to reply to a post, you actually address the present and the issue at hand and not something that cannot be undone or 'corrected' to your method.
    hard to troubleshoot methods like this. Even harder to do it on the amount of information given. Can you please tell us the exactly what steps you followed? Seems like the phone is still not properly rebranded. Could possibly still cause issues later
  16. mjrtoo's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    It's all taken care of, I just did a full reset of the phone and reinstalled the apps as I posted before.

    But, if you're curious of the method it's here...

    Hacks using the MFG app (Debrand, Update, Unlock, Relock) - PPCGeeks
  17. Thuoudo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagolara View Post
    Your AT&T Featured is gone? I'm looking at mine right now.
    Yes, the 8107 update that wasn't approved by ATT causes the Featured section to be wiped...at least that's what happened on my phone. I posted a picture in another thread :)

    As I recall, it did stick around for a little while, then it was gone. When I side-load Nokia's apps file, it will show as "Nokia Apps" and then revert back to "Samsung Zone" after a day or so. But ATT's Featured Apps has never come back on my Focus...
  18. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Press for Bacon View Post
    Yes, the 8107 update that wasn't approved by ATT causes the Featured section to be wiped...at least that's what happened on my phone. I posted a picture in another thread :)

    As I recall, it did stick around for a little while, then it was gone. When I side-load Nokia's apps file, it will show as "Nokia Apps" and then revert back to "Samsung Zone" after a day or so. But ATT's Featured Apps has never come back on my Focus...
    is there a connection setup type app like HTC has? Updating to 8107 shouldn't make anything carrier specific disappear. It should be from the method used such as debranding. The only thing I can think of would be trying the rebranding steps again. I'm not sure if a stock ruu would fix that.
  19. Thuoudo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I believe it's the "debranding" that actually nukes it, thanks for the reminder :) Although I use quotes around debranding because it actually doesn't debrand anything but what the phone shows as carrier brand.

    Yes, Samsungs have Network Profile (1st gen devices) and Wireless Manager (2nd gen). Problem is, when trying it on my Focus, it gives an error that the phone is locked to the carrier and it can't be used :dry Wireless Manager works just fine on the S.

    This branding discussion is probably only valid on Samsungs, also. It seems a hard reset fixed it for the OP, but I can't use any ATT apps anyway. Someone else can be the guinea pig :P
  20. Dagolara's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Press for Bacon View Post
    Yes, the 8107 update that wasn't approved by ATT causes the Featured section to be wiped...at least that's what happened on my phone. I posted a picture in another thread :)

    As I recall, it did stick around for a little while, then it was gone. When I side-load Nokia's apps file, it will show as "Nokia Apps" and then revert back to "Samsung Zone" after a day or so. But ATT's Featured Apps has never come back on my Focus...
    Oh I just noticed you have a Focus, I was was under the assumption you too used MFG on a Quantum.
  21. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Press for Bacon View Post
    I believe it's the "debranding" that actually nukes it, thanks for the reminder :) Although I use quotes around debranding because it actually doesn't debrand anything but what the phone shows as carrier brand.

    Yes, Samsungs have Network Profile (1st gen devices) and Wireless Manager (2nd gen). Problem is, when trying it on my Focus, it gives an error that the phone is locked to the carrier and it can't be used :dry Wireless Manager works just fine on the S.

    This branding discussion is probably only valid on Samsungs, also. It seems a hard reset fixed it for the OP, but I can't use any ATT apps anyway. Someone else can be the guinea pig :P
    The branding is relevant to the MFG method on LG too since that's what it does. It would be interesting to see the process repeated (minus the actual updating) to see what happens. Starting to seem like something is missing or misconfigured in the registry. Maybe even something simple like a rogue character.
  22. slinky826's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    What's odd is that doing the regedit thru the MFG menu, you only change one entry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\platform\devicetargetinginfo; entry: mobileoperator; string:ATT-US. Its only 6 characters. Not sure how it can be entered incorrectly.
  23. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky826 View Post
    What's odd is that doing the regedit thru the MFG menu, you only change one entry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\platform\devicetargetinginfo; entry: mobileoperator; string:ATT-US. Its only 6 characters. Not sure how it can be entered incorrectly.
    Can't be unless there is a space somewhere there shouldn't be. I thought there was one other string that had to be modified though.
  24. slinky826's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    Can't be unless there is a space somewhere there shouldn't be. I thought there was one other string that had to be modified though.
    Nope, that's the only registry edit that needs to be made. Change ATT-US to 000-88 to get updates, then back to ATT-US.
  25. canesfan625's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinky826 View Post
    Nope, that's the only registry edit that needs to be made. Change ATT-US to 000-88 to get updates, then back to ATT-US.
    Curious.. did you run the marketplace with it still set to 000-88?
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 04-01-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions