WP has GOT to take off

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So I recently went to the Microsoft store in CO about the Windows Challenge. I thought there would be a few people there to do the challenge. Nothing was further from the truth. The line was out the door to take the challenge and then there was a line to process the paperwork to trade in your old phone for a new WP on ATT, Tmob and Vzw. It's exactly as they advertised, take the challenge, lose and get a brand new phone with no contract.

My point is that people were doing this in DROVES! All total, I spent about 2 hours waiting to turn in my phone. They had run out, and they were giving out rainchecks, but it looks like the demand is truly there.

This makes me hopeful that marketshare will pick up.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think there were quite a few people though were just trading in old unused phones for a Windows Phone that they could resell. Though if those phones are resold, at least they'll end up in the hands of people who will actually use the phone.

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think there were quite a few people though were just trading in old unused phones for a Windows Phone that they could resell. Though if those phones are resold, at least they'll end up in the hands of people who will actually use the phone.

Good point! As long as the devices are being used, it doesn't matter how they got into the user's hands. I'm sure they may be a couple of converts who went in looking for a phone to sell and ended up keeping it.

keyboardP

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if these "handed" out phones get counted when it comes to marketshare numbers?

My guess is no.

Do you mean that they make a negligible impact on numbers? Or that they're not necessarily counted as part of the official marketshare? If the latter, then why wouldn't they count? To extrapolate the theory, let's say every Android user swapped for a Windows Phone, would that suddenly mean iOS has 90-odd percent of the marketshare since the WP ones don't count? I know that's an extreme example, but marketshare is considered marketshare regardless of how the device was obtained AFAIK.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Contest stipulates that you have to trade in a working phone that has an active data plan. In theory, you could bring in ANY old smartphone that you temp turned on just to show that it is working, but bottom line, you have to surrender a device of some sort. It's not just a giveaway. It's a trade-in program.

My point was that there was ALOT of interest. People were willing to wait in line for a couple of hours to get a new WP phone. Hope it is an indicator for WP popularity. I guess we'll see what pans out.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Contest stipulates that you have to trade in a working phone that has an active data plan. In theory, you could bring in ANY old smartphone that you temp turned on just to show that it is working, but bottom line, you have to surrender a device of some sort. It's not just a giveaway. It's a trade-in program.

My point was that there was ALOT of interest. People were willing to wait in line for a couple of hours to get a new WP phone. Hope it is an indicator for WP popularity. I guess we'll see what pans out.

*In before the fandroids* "Obviously MS is stripping the old handsets for parts for the next line of Window Phones :lol:"

(Feel the sarcasm!)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Lol you'll be surprised, some stores didn't completely follow the rules. I heard one store was allowing feature phones at one point, and some people were using phones that were still working, but had a broken screen. Furthermore, some stores didn't care if your phone wasn't activated, they usually wanted you to connect to their Wi-Fi anyway so it could be "fair."

Anyway, I'm glad Microsoft is doing this though, getting Windows Phones into the hands of people who normally wouldn't bother to try one out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos