New WP7 user. Questions and opinions.

dave9851

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I came from android, and let me tell you, I can't believe how superior WP7 is to it. So much better in every single way and I will not be going back to android. It makes android seem like a beat up kids toy.

Now that we got that out of the way, I have some questions:

1. Is there a way to back up app data to my computer or something? For example, I have a account register app, and I would like to have the data backed up somewhere in case I buy a new windows phone and need to get my data on the new phone.

2. Titan 2 or Nokia Lumia 900?

3. Why isn't there an official youtube app?

I think that's it for now. Like I said, absolutely love this OS and there's no going back to my previous OS's. I just feel like if more people would give the OS a chance, it would turn into the most popular OS there is. It's just that good.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I came from android, and let me tell you, I can't believe how superior WP7 is to it. So much better in every single way and I will not be going back to android. It makes android seem like a beat up kids toy.

Now that we got that out of the way, I have some questions:

1. Is there a way to back up app data to my computer or something? For example, I have a account register app, and I would like to have the data backed up somewhere in case I buy a new windows phone and need to get my data on the new phone.

2. Titan 2 or Nokia Lumia 900?

3. Why isn't there an official youtube app?

I think that's it for now. Like I said, absolutely love this OS and there's no going back to my previous OS's. I just feel like if more people would give the OS a chance, it would turn into the most popular OS there is. It's just that good.

1) An app can be written to back up to the cloud but it has to be written into the app. Windows 8 will provide complete device backups but this isn't available in Windows 7.5

2) I'm getting the Lumia 900

3) There is its available in the market place just do a search for youtube

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It's to be noted that the "Official" Youtube app is nothing more than a shortcut to the mobile website in your browser.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
1) On the XDA forums, I read about a way to back up app data, but I have not tried it myself.

2) If you are still able to get the Lumia 900 with the $100 rebate or $50 off, that would make it $200 or $150 less than the Titan II. The Lumia will have Nokia Transport and Nokia Drive among other apps. The Titan II will have a bigger screen, and possibly a better camera. Try them both out in the store when you are able to (and when the Titan II is available in the stores).

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone!

As stated by the others:

1. Full backups of data not available natively - this is coming in Apollo (aka Windows Phone 8) in fall/winter.

2. Lumia 900 without question. Better build quality, Nokia apps, and Nokia is 100% in with Windows Phone so will have better support.

3. There is one, however its pretty bad. The reason is that Google has not given MS access to the necessary API's / metadata ect to make a great app. Unfortunately a developer as big as MS needs Googles blessing to have large scale access. MS stated a year ago they had an excellent YT app available but could not complete it due to Google blocking them. However, there are lots of great YT apps in the market, and the YT mobile site also works pretty well. SuperTube is a great app.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
welcome!!! this is a great community , feel free to ask any questions anytime you need help. i have been around like a stray cat, and always come back to this place, great bunch of people.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I make it a point to look for apps that offer backup solutions to SkyDrive, Dropbox or via CSV file for exporting/importing. Saves a lot of re-entry after a hard reset (inevitable) or when migrating to a new device, which I will be doing on Friday. Yeah!

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you take a screenshot in wp7?

Not out of the box unfortunately,

There is a homebrew app you can install if your phone is developer unlocked. Had it with my samsung focus s...hopefully they break the 900 so i can get the screenshot app back.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
How do you unlock the titan and is it easy to relock since I'm going to be returning it on sunday for the titan 2?

It's a simple process, but it's not free unless you have a .edu email address (I don't know if you need that anymore, but it does ask you to register as a student). If so, then you can head to Microsoft DreamSpark. After everything is installed, you run Windows Phone Developer Registration and register your phone.

I have not seen anything about the Titan II, so reviews might come out after the phone is officially released.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
How do you unlock the titan and is it easy to relock since I'm going to be returning it on sunday for the titan 2?

Why unlock it for 3 days worth of usage? Doesn't seem like it would even be remotely worth it.

Also, anyone know when the titan 2 reviews will start coming out?

The only thing to review would be the camera...and I seem to have a hunch that the reviews would say the TITAN II's camera is better than the TITAN's, haha

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to make folders for your favorites in IE9? Or is that beyond the scope of this particular mobile browser?

I must say, that so far, the only thing I don't find totally superior to iOS is IE9 vs. Safari!

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to make folders for your favorites in IE9? Or is that beyond the scope of this particular mobile browser?

I must say, that so far, the only thing I don't find totally superior to iOS is IE9 vs. Safari!

No folders unfortunately. IE10 on WinPhone8 should bring many improvements. Hopefully that is one of them.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How can I add custom ringtones to a contact name

Go to People and open the person's profile. Then click the little pencil icon on the bottom to edit.

When you get there, you may need to choose which address book, i.e. Outlook, Google etc.

Then you'll get some extra options. 4th one down under "name" is "ringtone" :)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

There is NO WAYwhatsoever that safari can be superior to IE9! It crashes ALL THE TIMEand you CAN'T EVEN change the user agent between mobile and desktop!

Zaisaroni

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer mobile safari as well... Too many mobile pages require webkit to function and display well.

Requiring multiple taps to get to tabs, and favorites folders (sync with win8 plz) would be killer as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3