Can someone help me figure out WTH just happened?

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I had my phone (HTC Titan) on and sitting on the start menu (I was looking over the apps I had installed). Without warning, my phone just shut off. When I restarted, it would load up my home screen and then almost immediately (1-2 seconds) shut off again. This happened several times in a row. I finally got it to come up by removing the back cover (meaning it got no signal). At this point it stayed on no problem. When I replaced the cover it reconnected and was fine at first but as soon as it connected to 3G it shut down again.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a very clich? question...but have you tried removing the battery for 30 seconds or so?
Yes, but I will do it again. I also tried disabling the cellular data connection under settings and it still shut down when I put the cover back on.

Edit pulled the battery for a couple of minutes, no change.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had my phone (HTC Titan) on and sitting on the start menu (I was looking over the apps I had installed). Without warning, my phone just shut off. When I restarted, it would load up my home screen and then almost immediately (1-2 seconds) shut off again. This happened several times in a row. I finally got it to come up by removing the back cover (meaning it got no signal). At this point it stayed on no problem. When I replaced the cover it reconnected and was fine at first but as soon as it connected to 3G it shut down again.

could be a bad battery but seems sudden

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
3G puts extra strain on the battery. Try to replicate by turning on all battery draining features (bluetooth, music streaming over wifi, and a 3D game) without the data connection and see if it shuts off.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
3G puts extra strain on the battery. Try to replicate by turning on all battery draining features (bluetooth, music streaming over wifi, and a 3D game) without the data connection and see if it shuts off.

I connected to wifi, turned on bluetooth (nothing for it to connect to though), and fired up kinectimals without a hiccup.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have something faulty with your 3G chipset/modem and might need warranty service.

They are probably gonna ask that you do a full reset before you send it in, so you might go ahead and do that and see it fixes the problem. The only other thing I would check is to make sure you are not shorting the antenna somehow or that it is damaged.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have something faulty with your 3G chipset/modem and might need warranty service.

They are probably gonna ask that you do a full reset before you send it in, so you might go ahead and do that and see it fixes the problem. The only other thing I would check is to make sure you are not shorting the antenna somehow or that it is damaged.

They did ask and I did reset it. They're wanting to send me a refurbished unit to replace it. Even then though the lady did not seem especially sure that will solve it. Plus now I lose my Chevron unlock. :-( Goodbye Chevron, you were fun while you lasted. I'm giving some serious thought to contacting their escalations team and asking for a Lumia to replace it (based on this and a few other issues).

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Or you can ask for a titan 2

Maybe, but I think given the choice between the two, I'd rather go with the Nokia. The Titan is almost too big to use one-handed and I like Nokia's software. Plus the Lumia is $100 cheaper so they might be more willing to do it.

Unsurprisingly, the chat rep was not real helpful in this request. She said that she could send me the Lumia as a replacement but only if I wanted to burn an upgrade on another line I have. I just don't think I should have to burn an upgrade and not have an additional phone to show for it.

Anyways, I just got done sending them a nice essay through planet feedback. I highlighted problems with my camera (something inside the lens since pretty much day one), the disappearing keyboard bug and lack of updates and now this. PF also emails the CEO so we'll see what sort of response that gets.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Your carrier stores should have the machine.

Thanks. I will do that if I have the opportunity.

Just as an update, I realized this afternoon that my first attempt at email via planetfeedback.com probably didn't go through due to outdated contact info. It was addressed to the previous CEO. I did some digging and forwarded the email to the correct names. Specifically I sent it to the best guess address of the current CEO of AT&T Mobility (Ralph de la Vega), the CEO of AT&T as a whole (Randall Stephenson), and (just to take things to the extreme) the private email of Randall Stephenson (also found through Google).

About an hour later I received an email back from someone in their executive escalations dept. We'll see where it goes from here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss