Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    You can't blame a developer for not supporting a browser with such low marketshare.

It's like blaming them because their site doesn't work with Opera. They'll just give you this "Really?" look.

Android + iOS is over 80% of the US market and probably about 50%+ of the World Market. Symbian now uses WebKit. Blackberry now uses WebKit. Bada uses WebKit.

Why would you waste developer time supporting Trident when 95% of the world is using WebKit? Think of it like a developer, before you blame them.

Everyone here uses WP7 and likes their phone (I'd hope), but use a bit of logic before flinging poo at developers and major corporations who have much more important things to worry about than tweaking their sites to support niche platforms.

There are 3rd decent apps available for those services so it's not like the mobile site not working is going to stop people from buying a Windows Phone.

To the person who made the comment directed at me about the Facebook app being fine: Any app that wastes 25% of my screen real estate on a top banner instead of real content falls short in my book.
    That's like claiming that web developers shouldn't have bothered attempting to support gecko when everybody was still using IE6.

No matter how niche the alternatives are, web developers are only making more work for themselves down the line by using browser specific code.

Proponents of Gecko and Webkit were screaming for years that web developers should be following standards so that sites render correctly in their browsers, however now that their browser has a majority it's suddenly fine for others to not be supported.
    theefman and wolf1891 like this.

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj9928 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but using this takes me back to the early 00's with WAP connections, Take the mobile twitter site, its a text based affair with no graphics unlike iOS and android who display it like their mobile apps, same with various websites I load, the look like they did on my old Nokia 7210 I had back in 2002 where as Safari on iOS and the Android web browser look basically the same as they would on a computer. What the reason for this?
    I agree. IE9 on my Lumia 900 loads what looks like the old WAP or mobile sites. My iPhone loads specialized touch websites that look almost like native apps.

Even the MSN extreme mobile site is has less functionality on my Lumia than on the iPhone. On the iPhone you can scroll stories, videos, etc horizontally by swiping. On the Lumia buttons appear that you have to tap and the whole thing doesn't display as fluidly.

You can't blame a developer for not supporting a browser with such low marketshare.

It's like blaming them because their site doesn't work with Opera. They'll just give you this "Really?" look.

Android + iOS is over 80% of the US market and probably about 50%+ of the World Market. Symbian now uses WebKit. Blackberry now uses WebKit. Bada uses WebKit.

Why would you waste developer time supporting Trident when 95% of the world is using WebKit? Think of it like a developer, before you blame them.

Everyone here uses WP7 and likes their phone (I'd hope), but use a bit of logic before flinging poo at developers and major corporations who have much more important things to worry about than tweaking their sites to support niche platforms.

There are 3rd decent apps available for those services so it's not like the mobile site not working is going to stop people from buying a Windows Phone.

To the person who made the comment directed at me about the Facebook app being fine: Any app that wastes 25% of my screen real estate on a top banner instead of real content falls short in my book.
    this wouldn't be a discussion if we were talking about their desktop counterparts. There is no reason to not properly support ie

Yet IE is still at the top of market share overall. This is also why webkit is currently exploited. Yes you absolutely can blame web developers for this problem. There's so many logic fails in this post I don't even know where to begin but then again I'm not surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    To add to this, can this rendering problem be linked to some of my friends and I in Ghana not bieng able to log in to the official or any third party twitter apps on our phones?? I have been denied access to my twitter feeds since 25th March and initially thought it was from my phone so did a hard reset and still not able to log in. All apps that need twitter authorization are not working and i'm very desperate and sad. The only way I can check my twitter feeds is from the people hub which is very limited.
    Any help on this? can they be linked? my phone is becoming useless now when it comes to twitter. :(
    try the full twitter site.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Still the same

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    But you can blame them for not writing standards-compliant code.

So when IE6 owned the market how is it that people shifted to other browsers?

Why did developers waste time supporting WebKit (or Gecko) when 95% of the world was using Trident?

Well your post is full of logical fallacies, as though you didn't know the web existed - or what it looked like - before WebKit.
    BlackberryOS -> iOS -> Maemo -> WP7
    I don't have a device religion.
    eric12341 and wolf1891 like this.

<sarcasm>
    Good news, everyone! Microsoft has updated IE9 to not be rubbish anymore and mobile
    Twitter site displays fine now.
    </sarcasm>
    Furthermore, I think apps must be able to override the search button with contextual search.
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...-search-button

Quote Originally Posted by Eirenarch View Post
    <sarcasm>
    Good news, everyone! Microsoft has updated IE9 to not be rubbish anymore and mobile
    </sarcasm>
    but what about IE10? Quick, someone using the win8 cp check to make sure it's not rubbish too!

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirenarch View Post
    <sarcasm>

</sarcasm>
    But isn't the rendering issue from Twitter? Thought Twitter rather fixed it instead of MS. Initial thought was that, twitter made a change in the coding system that caused that wap-like appearance...and somehow has affected all third party twitter apps not authorizing for some of us. If they've fixed the mobile site, they might as well fix the issue with the apps. MS said they had no idea of this issue.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express
    Exomondo likes this.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzibit View Post
    But isn't the rendering issue from Twitter?
    Yes Twitter admitted it was an issue on their end and fixed it. Basically the OP just parroted what was said on the Vergecast and decided to troll a bunch of boards with crap. IE9 is fine.
    eric12341 and Exomondo like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12