The Verge review of the Lumia 900

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
WP7 is not all sunshine and rainbows. Acknowledging this is not a crime, nor evidence of an anti-WP7 bias. If all y'all want is a cheerleader, then read a different blog, or stay here in the comfy, safe walls of wpcentral. Topolsky's review, warts and all, should be a wake-up call.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Like I said in another thread, the problem with The Verge's review isn't so much that he brought up negatives. It is that he failed to provide any of the positives of the phone/wp7. I don't think most people want a "cheerleader", but it would be nice to at least have a balanced review. There are plenty of reviews that say negative things. Almost all of them mention about the lack of big name apps for instance. People seem to be fine with those reviews because they still point out the positives. There were people in the comments that admitted to hating WP7, that still thought his review was horrible. Someone could review the best product in the world, but if you only focus on the negatives, then no one would know it. Granted, if someone would skip the review and just look at the 7 out of 10 score, it isn't that bad. But actually reading the review paints a completely different picture.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
After 2200+ comments on this review, I think that Josh (the reviewer) understood that his review was a disaster...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Reviewers are overrated. Sadly most of the people in the world have retired their brains and rely solely on other people's opinions, rather than make up their own mind from first hand experience. This review could have scored it a 1 but if it was on Tmo I would still get it because it meets my requirements, not some guy who runs a website. If people want to blindly follow others, good for them. The few of us who dont need to be spoon fed everything will make up our minds the old fashioned way, by trying it out ourselves.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read the author's previous review, but I don't like his review style. It's flawed. He thinks STATS are what makes a phone good, not what the end user sees. So the phone runs at 1.4ghz and the screen resolution is 800x480. Does the general user care about these stats? No. They're going to care about battery life, screen appearance and phone performance. Now if the phone ran slow because of an outdated processor that'd be another story. But Windows Phone flies on this hardware.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe the reason why Josh may have been tough in the review is that he really wants Microsoft to succeed. He's mentioned this quite a few times on the Vergecast (mainly toward Windows 8, though) and he legitimately likes Windows Phone. He just wants it to be more mature.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This is why people shouldn't put so much stake into someone else's opinion and try it for yourself, especially with so many mixed reviews

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read the author's previous review, but I don't like his review style. It's flawed. He thinks STATS are what makes a phone good, not what the end user sees. So the phone runs at 1.4ghz and the screen resolution is 800x480. Does the general user care about these stats? No. They're going to care about battery life, screen appearance and phone performance. Now if the phone ran slow because of an outdated processor that'd be another story. But Windows Phone flies on this hardware.

The user actually only cares if it will run the APPS that their friends phones run. It could be a shiny turd and as long as it runs Pandora, Instagram, etc. it's an number one seller. Thanks Apple/Google for turning our phones into app jukeboxes. You could stick iOS and Android on WP7 hardware and the OS would run without issue. However, all those apps won't.

Most, if not all, of the battery issues stem from all the crap people run on these phones, see above. Do you really need LTE to make calls? Nope. You need it to run a lot of the apps you can't live without.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss