Mobile SkyDrive Download Issues

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried to access one of my files via SkyDrive on my phone today and got the following message:

"Can't download
You don't have permission to download this file. For help, try contacting the person who manages this site."

I am signed in with Live.com login.

Has anyone else gotten this message lately when you try to open a file?

Stunrunner

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Permission error

I've gotten the exact same issue you're describing in the last few hours. Saving (from the app) or opening the file from the SkyDrive location throws the permission error. However, for some reason the file is able to sync if under the SkyDrive location you manually tap-hold and select "upload now" or "download now", but it is a bit of a hassle. Maybe this is a temporary SkyDrive bug.

Sorry...by "app" I meant saving and accessing from the Office app. I can access the files fine from everywhere else (PC, browser).

Last edited:

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Out of the clear blue. And it's not the Skydrive app, because I'm having the same problem in the Office app.

mikeandlucyg

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Exact same issue here.
I can however with the same live account access it from the live web site.
Just not from the phone either using the office app or the skydrive app.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think they are in the process of upgrading skydrive on the desktop and their servers could be having some glitches or cauing this behavior.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft support says they are aware of the issue. As a workaround, if you long hold on the document you want to open, you can select "download now". After it finishes downloading, tap it again and it will open.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft support says they are aware of the issue. As a workaround, if you long hold on the document you want to open, you can select "download now". After it finishes downloading, tap it again and it will open.

That doesn't help with my Onenote documents, though. They won't synch since this problem showed up either ...

micronesio

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
so I had the same issue until I realized that when my phone was new, i created a new live account for the phone, which was different to the account i used with skydrive.

to solve the problem, i had to reset my phone to factory settings (settings>about>reset) and log onto my phone with the same microsoft account as the one i had on skydrive. it was a pain, but i read on a microsoft official blog that the only way to change the phone's live account was by resetting. i also couldn't just create a new skydrive account because i had already paid for some extra storage linked to that specific account.

i hope this solves your problem.

Cheers!

parael

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

i had the same issue, i did the following

1. Uninstalled SKYDRIVE from my 920
2. Reinstalled it
3. Shut down the device
4. Power up again and it worked

Hope this helps

Ng Zachary

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Just got hold of the Lumia 920, and since Dropbox doesn't have a native app for Windows Phone 8 (**horrors!!), I had to make the painstaking move to Skydrive. Hit the same problem like what is explained by users above.

When you create/sign into the "Microsoft" account on your phone, it associates all phone services (ie. Marketplace, XBox Live, etc.) with this account. Somehow or the other, the Skydrive app sees this account (gets confused!) and prompts the error for security reasons. No issues if your Skydrive login is the same as your "Microsoft" account, but due to the proliferation of MS Services along the years, there's bound to be people with a separate Live ID for SkyDrive and another one for Hotmail/LiveMessenger, etc. (me inclusive!).

To solve this problem, I "shared" access from SkyDrive to my "Microsoft" account, and everything works! Now, this is not an ideal scenario (MS should instead allow merging of accounts), but it solved my problem of needing to access specific files.

p/s. MS mentions a "factory reset" to get the above working, which is a definite easy way out by them IMHO.

Milena Kanakova

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
It's the same at this end!

to micronesioJust
when I realized I made a different account, I shared my SkyDrive with this account instead to reset the WP settings. It works perfectly! Thanks a million!

to parael
re-install didn't work with me this time. Cheers!

Mielna.

david a11

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The long, full, ANSWER / SOLUTION is, as two people have (sort of) said, that the phone only has access to a file or folder on Skydrive if it is EITHER the same account as the Windows phone was INITIALLY set up with, OR for any other Microsoft account, to allow access on the phone, you first need to have told skydrive to "share" the file / folder. So on the PC (or whatever) you sign in to Skydrive using the account with the files you are unsuccessfully trying to access on the phone, then "share" the file / folder (using the right click option) and specify the Microsoft account that the phone was INITIALLY linked with (because that is the account that the phone uses to supply its credentials to skydrive for permission to access the file / folder). As also mentioned by someone, you CAN NOT change the Microsoft account with which the phone is linked without doing a factory reset, but you don't need to because on the phone you can launch the skydrive app and sign in with a different Microsoft account and access the files / folders, but only those that you chose to SHARE with the phone's Microsoft account.

Last edited:

tieu vu

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem as all of you here!
But i have found a simple solution to this issue! You just set your files public, then you can download your files to your own phone. My documents are not important, so i can set them public. I haven't try with other properties, but you can give it a try!
Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes