Question about Windows Live ID from phone startup

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
When you use your phone for the first time and enter your Windows Live ID, does it have to be your actual e-mail address that you plan to use on the phone? I made an e-mail account on my own e-mail server such as wp7@yourdomain.com, and just registered it as a Windows Live account, so that when I do use it with my Windows Phone, I don't have random contacts added to my address book that I don't want there (this happened when I bought an LG Optimus Quantum a few years ago). By the way, has Microsoft fixed it so that if you use a Windows Live ID that say has a lot of contacts on Windows Live Messenger already, that they aren't shown in your contacts phone book? When I had my old Windows Phone 7 (pre-Mango release) it drove me nuts. I had over 200 contacts added to my phone book that I had on Windows Live Messenger, and the only way I could get rid of them was to do a factory reset and use a different e-mail.

Anyways, if I use the e-mail address I made as my phone's Windows Live ID, will I be able to set up a different e-mail address to use with Windows Live Messenger, Xbox Live, Facebook, and my e-mail?

Thanks.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The Live ID you use to setup the phone is the Live ID that will be used for your purchases, Xbox Live, Zune, and Windows Live Messenger/Facebook chat.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The e-mail address is different than the one I use on Facebook- does this mean I won't be able to use Facebook chat? If I change the e-mail I use on Facebook to the e-mail I created just now, will that then work with my Windows Phone? Lastly, if I do have this account linked with Facebook chat, will all my Facebook contacts appear in my Peoples hub and Phone contacts list?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
... Anyways, if I use the e-mail address I made as my phone's Windows Live ID, will I be able to set up a different e-mail address to use with Windows Live Messenger, Xbox Live, Facebook, and my e-mail?

Thanks.

Yes, I have 4 WL accounts, 3 of which are on my phone, including one to which I assign contacts. When you save a contact you are prompted to select the account to use.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The e-mail address is different than the one I use on Facebook- does this mean I won't be able to use Facebook chat? If I change the e-mail I use on Facebook to the e-mail I created just now, will that then work with my Windows Phone? Lastly, if I do have this account linked with Facebook chat, will all my Facebook contacts appear in my Peoples hub and Phone contacts list?

Your Facebook and Live ID accounts get linked, the email addresses themselves don't have to match. If you link your Facebook account all of your Facebook contacts will appear in your contacts, BUT you can set your contact list to only show contacts from a certain source. If your normal Live ID has a bunch of WLM contacts you don't want shown, I'd suggest using something other than Windows Live for storing contacts (Google for instance). That way you could set the Contact list to show only Google contacts.

Edit: Or maybe you could use hotmail accounts.

The jist of it is, you should use your main Live ID to setup the phone because that is how all of the integrated services are tied together. If

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I use my Facebook for marketing because I'm a DJ and have 3,000+ friends. It's taken me a long time to filter my friends on my news feed so only the people I actually know and care about get shown (to do this I unsubscribe to people I don't care about on my news feed). If I link this Facebook account to my Windows ID, will all the people I selected to "hide" from my news feed on Facebook be displayed on my Peoples hub?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss