Hotmail won't sync anymore

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, after it working at first, my Hotmail e-mail account won't sync anymore. I still receive e-mails to my Inbox, but when I try to sync any folder, including the Inbox, I get a message that states:

"We're having a problem syncing with m.hotmail.com
Missed Items:
Filed as: (contact)
This contact couldn't be synced to server."

Is there a different setting for using Hotmail on WP? Can I delete the account and add it again? I can't find how to remove my Hotmail account.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You can remove accounts by going into Settings --> E-mail & Accounts. You can also try disabling email sync for that Hotmail account, reboot, then re-enable Hotmail syncing. That might fix it.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You can remove accounts by going into Settings --> E-mail & Accounts. You can also try disabling email sync for that Hotmail account, reboot, then re-enable Hotmail syncing. That might fix it.

Disabling sync w/reboot and re-enable did not work. I can't seem to remove the account in E-mail & Accounts. Can't remove Twitter either which also hasn't synced successfully in 24 hours now.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Whoa. Something's definitely jacked up with the accounts on your phone then. Other than a system reset, I don't know any other ways to correct that.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Try deleting out all the deleted e-mails in your Hotmail account (on the web browser) and all the deleted e-mails in your Hotmail account on your phone, then unsync your accounts and resync them. This may work.

On a related note, when you purge your deleted e-mails folder in your Hotmail account on your browser, take notice of how old your oldest deleted e-mails are. If your situation is anything like mine (I've had similar issues and the solution above does provide a short-term solution for a few weeks), your deleted e-mails folder will include e-mails back to the time you linked your Windows Phone to your Hotmail account. When Hotmail is not linked to a Windows Phone, deleted e-mails before a certain date are purged automatically.

One final thing - I recently went through my Hotmail account and deleted out a whole bunch of e-mails in my inbox, reducing the number of e-mails from 1100-1200 to 220. I also changed the length of time to sync the Inbox from 2 weeks to no time limit (i.e. all e-mails in my Hotmail inbox on the browser also show up on the phone). I only did that this past weekend, but so far, so good in terms of Hotmail syncing between the browser and the Windows Phone.

BTW, which Windows Phone do you own? The last few days I've considered creating a post asking people what kind of Hotmail problems they have had, if any, what device they have, what settings they have on their Hotmail account on the phone, how old their Hotmail account is, and how many e-mails they have in their inbox. Other people have had similar Hotmail syncing problems, and I want to try to figure out what the problem might be.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Try deleting out all the deleted e-mails in your Hotmail account (on the web browser) and all the deleted e-mails in your Hotmail account on your phone, then unsync your accounts and resync them. This may work.

On a related note, when you purge your deleted e-mails folder in your Hotmail account on your browser, take notice of how old your oldest deleted e-mails are. If your situation is anything like mine (I've had similar issues and the solution above does provide a short-term solution for a few weeks), your deleted e-mails folder will include e-mails back to the time you linked your Windows Phone to your Hotmail account. When Hotmail is not linked to a Windows Phone, deleted e-mails before a certain date are purged automatically.

One final thing - I recently went through my Hotmail account and deleted out a whole bunch of e-mails in my inbox, reducing the number of e-mails from 1100-1200 to 220. I also changed the length of time to sync the Inbox from 2 weeks to no time limit (i.e. all e-mails in my Hotmail inbox on the browser also show up on the phone). I only did that this past weekend, but so far, so good in terms of Hotmail syncing between the browser and the Windows Phone.

BTW, which Windows Phone do you own? The last few days I've considered creating a post asking people what kind of Hotmail problems they have had, if any, what device they have, what settings they have on their Hotmail account on the phone, how old their Hotmail account is, and how many e-mails they have in their inbox. Other people have had similar Hotmail syncing problems, and I want to try to figure out what the problem might be.

Good stuff here, and I will certainly try this out as soon as possible. However, with the Twitter account integration also having trouble syncing, I decided to take my Lumia 900 into the AT&T store tonight. Turns out it *may* be one of the known issues with the phone and may be resolved with the software update on Monday. However, they didn't want to send me on my way by saying "update on Monday and you'll be fine". They tried swapping SIM cards and that of course didn't work. They were sold out of the phones so they couldn't do a swap out; and none of the other nearby stores had any stock in either. They put my name on a list to call once they get more stock in on Friday or Saturday. They are hoping the new stock of phones will already have the software upgrade on them, so that one way or another, by Monday night I would have a fixed phone -- either by downloading the OS update or by swapping out my phone.

erine100

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
thanks for sharing

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem around 9 months ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. :(

Try - Settings - Email & Accounts - Uncheck Email - Wait for it to finish synchronising - tap back into Windows Live - re-check 'email' - now it will hopefully be fixed.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem around 9 months ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. :(

Try - Settings - Email & Accounts - Uncheck Email - Wait for it to finish synchronising - tap back into Windows Live - re-check 'email' - now it will hopefully be fixed.

That was the first thing I tried after realizing I couldn't remove the Hotmail account as it's tied into the Windows Live account that powers the phone.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Doh, just checked and saw you tried it already. :blush:

You shouldn't need to remove the hotmail account... I take it you've tried deleting the contact that is causing the error?

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Doh, just checked and saw you tried it already. :blush:

You shouldn't need to remove the hotmail account... I take it you've tried deleting the contact that is causing the error?

Indeed. It's not earth-shattering of importance but it'd be nice to get my personal e-mail on my phone. The Twitter integration I haven't had too much time to play with before it stopped working, so I'm not missing it per se. Hopefully by Monday I'll have a device that works properly.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Did not work.

Only had 222 to begin with.

Nokia Lumia 900

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Did not work.

Hmm. When I've used the purge deleted e-mails folder method, I've had to use the sync button initially (i.e. manually sync) to make sure the phone would properly sync. Usually it would start automatically syncing (no manual sync required) after a couple days.

It sounds like your issue is related to Twitter and may be related to the Nokia 900 issues. Incidentally, when you synced and un-synced your Nokia 900 in the e-mail settings, did your Twitter account also sync/un-sync? I know when I've done the sync/un-sync, my LinkedIn account (only social networking account I have linked on my HTC Trophy) will also sync/un-sync automatically.

Three other questions:

1) How old is your Hotmail account? I know my account was created in 1999, and I've wondered if having such an old Hotmail account may be the root of the problem with e-mails on the Windows Phone.

2) Do you have any other active mobile OS devices that are also linked to your Hotmail account? I have a slew of mobile devices, all of them linked to my Hotmail, and that may be a bit of the problem. I know from experience that in particular my Trophy doesn't like when I check e-mails in my Hotmail on my Droid 2 (which requires a Hotmail app because Hotmail integration in Android 2.3.3 doesn't work 100% correctly).

3) Do you have all of your e-mail accounts linked into one inbox, or are your accounts all in separate inboxes (i.e. tiles)? I've kept all of my accounts separate from one another. I doubt this is a factor, but who knows?

Last edited:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
There is some problem involving attachments as well, I ended up isolating things down to a certain folder and then just pulled the emails with attachments out into their own folder and don't sync that one.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
A note to the OP: If you are going to swap out your phone you are going to need to reload everything anyway. So why not try a hard reset? Might do the trick

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
A note to the OP: If you are going to swap out your phone you are going to need to reload everything anyway. So why not try a hard reset? Might do the trick

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I was thinking of that and I even mentioned it in the AT&T store. How can I perform the hard reset on the 900?

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. When I've used the purge deleted e-mails folder method, I've had to use the sync button initially (i.e. manually sync) to make sure the phone would properly sync. Usually it would start automatically syncing (no manual sync required) after a couple days.

It sounds like your issue is related to Twitter and may be related to the Nokia 900 issues. Incidentally, when you synced and un-synced your Nokia 900 in the e-mail settings, did your Twitter account also sync/un-sync? I know when I've done the sync/un-sync, my LinkedIn account (only social networking account I have linked on my HTC Trophy) will also sync/un-sync automatically.

The two accounts have not been syncing and un-syncing together. When I interact with the Windows Live account, the Twitter account stays as-is.

Three other questions:

1) How old is your Hotmail account? I know my account was created in 1999, and I've wondered if having such an old Hotmail account may be the root of the problem with e-mails on the Windows Phone.

I just created it in January in anticipation of having an easier, streamlined account on my Windows Phone.

2) Do you have any other active mobile OS devices that are also linked to your Hotmail account? I have a slew of mobile devices, all of them linked to my Hotmail, and that may be a bit of the problem. I know from experience that in particular my Trophy doesn't like when I check e-mails in my Hotmail on my Droid 2 (which requires a Hotmail app because Hotmail integration in Android 2.3.3 doesn't work 100% correctly).

When I got the phone, I deleted my e-mail accounts off my iPhone 3GS. Now that I think of it, I probably deleted those accounts Tuesday morning, which is the last successful sync. Hmm....

3) Do you have all of your e-mail accounts linked into one inbox, or are your accounts all in separate inboxes (i.e. tiles)? I've kept all of my accounts separate from one another. I doubt this is a factor, but who knows?

Separate. Just have the Hotmail/Win Live account and my Outlook Exchange account for work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte