Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cba191
  • 1 Post By SolunaKitty

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Nokia's new phone looks nice but Im just wondering..
    Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner? The OS is portrayed exactly the same as every other windows phone. The only difference is the casing.
    What's the point in having all these different phone models and brands, when there is nothing specific about the OS to a particular model or brand? They're basically just different shapes of wp7 and the Lumia, as nice as it is, is just another shape..
    In this sense, Microsoft should just make one mega windows phone sold by all the carriers.

I'm bored with my old focus. I wanted a change. It has a bigger screen, faster processor, and it's 4g/LTE.
    The same question could be asked of anyone buying a new iPhone. They really haven't changed the basics for 5 years. (I switched from the iPhone to WP7 when they first came out)
    eric12341 likes this.

Because Microsoft has said before they don't want to be in the phone hardware manufacturing business...letting Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. do it for them saves them time and money.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Do you want an Android experience where although different phones have different features, you're twiddling your thumbs trying to get updates?
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Do you want an Android experience where although different phones have different features, you're twiddling your thumbs trying to get updates?
    I have not received the keyboard update...

Global Posts
    3,910 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner?
    I have no idea. Maybe the main intended market is people who don't already have a Windows phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner? The OS is portrayed exactly the same as every other windows phone. The only difference is the casing.
    What's the point in having all these different phone models and brands, when there is nothing specific about the OS to a particular model or brand? They're basically just different shapes of wp7 and the Lumia, as nice as it is, is just another shape..
    In this sense, Microsoft should just make one mega windows phone sold by all the carriers.
    I went from a Focus to the Lumia because I wanted a bigger and better screen, 4G LTE, voice navigation, and a better camera. I'm not sure I got a better camera but the screen is better with the clear black technology. I'm actually able to see it outdoors now. 4G is definitely better. I've noticed a big improvement in streaming music apps. I haven't tried Nokia Drive yet but I will soon. Oh most importantly, the phone is sexy! :)

I know WP8 is around the corner but I figured buying the Nokia Lumia 900 will stop me from buying the first WP8 available that might not necessarily be the best one. By the time I'm do for an upgrade I will have more phones to choose from at lower prices. And who knows, maybe my Lumia 900 will be able to run WP8 to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtext View Post
    I know WP8 is around the corner but I figured buying the Nokia Lumia 900 will stop me from buying the first WP8 available that might not necessarily be the best one. By the time I'm do for an upgrade I will have more phones to choose from at lower prices. And who knows, maybe my Lumia 900 will be able to run WP8 to some extent.
    It will most definitely be able to run WP8. I think what the thread starter means by it is the possibility of: hi-res screens, expandable storage, 1080p recording, dual-core processors, more NFC availability. These are hardware things that cannot be obtained with a software update to WP8.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    well

i want a bigger screen than my current 3.7 inch.Even with my reading glasses its too small to watch netflix etc. More storage than my current 8gb and a better camera. But yes, i'm not expecting any difference other than that and a few device/manufacturer specific apps.

its also nice to have a shiny new toy to replace the one with the dent/scratch where i dropped it at the bus stop.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Coming from the Focus and checking out the Lumia I see that OEM specific ecosystem matters A LOT. Nokia's dedication to fixing their handsets and their apps are big reasons to choose the Lumia over the Focus S or Titan.

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    I think the lumia has a better processor as well, i know it has a better battery, better screen as well. The camera is not on par with the focus S though, but everything else seems to be better.

The need for speed...LTE ;)

The need to get scammed... LTE. It treats voice as VoIP and texts as data. How about those plans, huh
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    I think the lumia has a better processor as well, i know it has a better battery, better screen as well. The camera is not on par with the focus S though, but everything else seems to be better.
    The processors on the Titan/II are overclocked and slightly beat out the competition on WP Bench.

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts
    I went from a Focus to the Lumia because I wanted a bigger and better screen, 4G LTE, voice navigation, and a better camera. I'm not sure I got a better camera but the screen is better with the clear black technology. I'm actually able to see it outdoors now. 4G is definitely better. I've noticed a big improvement in streaming music apps. I haven't tried Nokia Drive yet but I will soon. Oh most importantly, the phone is sexy! :)

Ditto here!
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    LTE BABY!!!

I'm coming from the Focus S so that combined with Nokia apps and build quality its a no brainier:excl:

Not to mention superior reception...

People like and want anything shiny and new.

Quote Originally Posted by AzD View Post
    Back on topic - I was contemplating the getting the Lumia 900 over my Focus S for the assumed better camera and for LTE connectivity. But with the lukewarm and sometimes negative reviews of the camera, I will hold off. Focus S serves me just fine, looking forward to Apollo devices.
    That will probably be for the best :3 save your money for a bigger upgrade.
    Dave Blake likes this.

Global Posts
    2,809 Global Posts
    Three reasons: LTE speeds, bigger and beautiful screen (too big for me), and it just looks cool.

I have the Trophy and love the size and the speed of the OS is pretty much the same as the Lumia. Even if the Lumia 900 came to Verizon, I wouldn't get it. But I'm glad it is selling well because that is good for all WP users.

It's definitely good for everyone. Not just wp7 users either

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    The need to get scammed... LTE. It treats voice as VoIP and texts as data. How about those plans, huh
    No carrier in the US uses LTE for voice services.
  23. AzD

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canesfan625 View Post
    Smoke and mirrors. The 1st iPhone was significantly underclocked. (by nearly 50%) The camera was 1mp more on the 3GS
    So a noticibly faster processor and a 50% bump in camera MP (technically ~60%, not to mention the addition of AF and zoom) is "smoke and mirrors"... um, OK. If'un you say so, then I hereby acquiesce to your logic.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Their we go all cleaned up and back on topic next off topic post in this thread will result in the author getting a warning fallowed by infractions etc...

Thanks for participation.
    Thanked by:
    jdd77 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Their we go all cleaned up and back on topic next off topic post in this thread will result in the author getting a warning fallowed by infractions etc...

Thanks for participation.
    I don't see how the iPhone being basically the same since 07 yet still popular was off topic. Basically answers OP question. What was off topic was the argument that resulted from it.