Tips and Tricks for Lumia 900

jtnichol

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My first post. I'm hoping somebody can help me by the second post.

I got my wife the Lumia 900. It's pretty sweet. I currently have an iPhone 3gs. The iPhone has been been great until Crapple decided to let 3gs owners update to ios5. Now my phone is laggy and no way to roll back. I'm considering the Samsung Note for myself but I'm willing to go with a Lumia 900 for a year based on the price alone.

Here's the thing. I really like the Lumia. But my learning curve is pretty bad with WP7 system. I'm so used to iPhone right now and I don't have time to figure out every thing for my wife who has the Lumia.

Is there a link or a sticky that can give new Lumia 900 users tips/tricks/shortcuts to using it. I don't have time to research everything. Perhaps there aren't too many tricks but I'd like to see if there is a central resource for me to read from. Seems easy enough to just figure on my own but I thought I'd ask.

Oh yes and another thing...the "People" collection of info is confusing. Is there a better way for instance to navigate "just" Facebook? I downloaded a Facebook app and it seems to work....but I was thinking the phone had a way to do it on its own?

Thanks all.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
If you open up internet explorer and go to favorites there are already bookmarks for MS sites to help you get started. Try giong over those and then start playing around.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes and another thing...the "People" collection of info is confusing. Is there a better way for instance to navigate "just" Facebook? I downloaded a Facebook app and it seems to work....but I was thinking the phone had a way to do it on its own?
Thanks all.

If you want to see the "What's New" from just facebook people; just underneath "What's new" in the People app it should say "All accounts" in small letters, you can tap on that and then choose which service you want to view posts from.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
While it's a learning curve, everything is just so CONVENIENT. And that's the focus feature of Windows. I will be honest and say that the "popular" apps like social gaming aren't available (yet?) for Windows Phone so if you have games in Draw Something and Words With Friends, you won't be able to continue on this platform. Some might look at that as a deal breaker, others (myself included) look for an alternative

jtnichol

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Based on the help of this community alone I'm going out to get a second lumia 900 for me. Thanks everyone these hints are super cool! THANK YOU WPCENTRAL!

So long Apple.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You couldn't find a nice group of people!
I'm going to copy and paste some stuff here that might be helpful for a new starter that I wrote for a different thread. Some of it might not be super-relevant, but a lot will be:

Second, let me say this- there's nothing wrong with liking iOS or Android more than WP7. There are advantages to all of the systems out there and not everything is going to fit everyone's desires, preferences, and needs.

Third, I wasn't so sure about the tiles when I moved from my iPhone either. If Apple had done tiles and I'd been using that paradigm for years I'm sure I'd be just as reluctant about the current "grids of icons" that are popular now. I'll say this, however- I've had a WP7 for over a year now and I can't imagine going back. The tiles, once they feel "natural" after a couple of weeks, are outstanding. Here's a few things you absolutely must do to understand them, however:

Get some live tiles and arrange them as you like. Here are some great choices: Weather Channel, My Stocks, Livescape, Wonder Reader, BBC Mobile, Fox News (yeah, I know, but their live tile is cool), Arkwords. Watch them update and it's really awesome.

Fourth, understand that there are shortcomings in WP7 (notifications anyone?) but some excellent advantages that the other ecosystems just don't do at all. Here are some:

Facebook calendar. Super awesome. Set up a FB event or just get invited to one and it will automatically appear on your calendar and you can click into it to see the related wall, guest list, respond join/decline.

Info. It's all about information in WP7. You can click all kinds of things to move around in the info world. Like in the Message hub, you can click someone's name to get straight to their contact info. From there, you can swipe to see their recent social network updates, then swipe to see all their publicly available albums. Another swipe shows you all the interaction history you have with that contact. You don't get that in iOS or Android.

Integration. Download OpenTable. Then use Bing to search a local restaurant. Swipe over to "Local" in results, then hit reserve a table. Boom, pure integration with apps. You can do the same thing with products and launch Ebay/Amazon. You can do the same thing with pictures and launch any registered picture modification app. It's called AppConnect and it connects data with tasks. The other 2 systems are just app platforms.

Pinning. I love pinning. At the bottom of my start screen I have a tile that doesn't do anything called "To-Do" (download sticky tiles if you want to do this). I have a Onenote notebook with a page called "To-Do" that I pin in that section. One click launches my things to do. It syncs automatically with my computer. With the web. With my gf's computer. Etc. Onenote is powerful and great on this phone.

Try pinning a place. For example, I wanted to go to a restaurant called "Tantra," and I wanted to remember that- so I bing searched it, pulled it up on a map, tapped the location marker "Tanta" and pinned it. Now there's a reminder and a little map on my start screen under my "To-Do" section. Click it and you are right back to the map and can start directions, get reservations, check reviews... you get the idea. (In related news, if you reserve a table through OpenTable, you can pin that reservation and it'll flip over reminding you when it is. Cool).

Fifth: Weakneses. WP7 does have them. We typically get apps later than the rest. To be fair, the Marketplace has an equivalent for... almost all the major apps currently on iOS / Android. Some of them aren't as good, but I'd say some are better- OpenTable is the example I've been using, so that's a good example- the pinning is better. Zune is better than Pandora/Spotify. Office is better than the random lousy office apps on either iOS or Android. Games... not as many, but getting better. (Try The Harvest, it's cool). Oh, and at least WP7 has a well developed trial system for their marketplace. Got so tired of buying an app that just sucked and just having to eat it. Anyway, back to the point- notifications also could be better, and I expect we'll see that in WP8. Very frustrating hearing a "beep" and going to the phone a few min later and having no idea what generated the notification.

Six: Cloud
I know Google is the techy ****** cloud god, but try live. Hotmail is quite good now, and the Office suites are fantastic. But really, I'd want you to try Skydrive. Go to Photos, make an Album, and upload 30-40 photos. Then go to your phone. Open Pictures, and then push albums. Your cloud hosted album is right there, seamlessly on your phone. You can view/manipulate it just as if it were local. It's simple, it's elegant, and it just works.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. I currently have all three phones, mostly for work development and testing, so I could use any of them. I use WP7 because I like the way you do things on it, the stability, and the integration. I find that I miss 1 or 2 apps, but that's it. (WWF- not the best scrabble clone, but the most popular.)

Feel free to ask questions if you like.

sykej

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Download an app called "Insider" created by MS. Other than that, play around with the phone. That's what I tell all my customers.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There is a pre-installed app called Help + How to. hold down on that and pin it to your start screen! I do that for every customer that purchases one. also windowspone.com is a good resource and so is att.com/tutorials

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
My first post. I'm hoping somebody can help me by the second post.

I got my wife the Lumia 900. It's pretty sweet. I currently have an iPhone 3gs. The iPhone has been been great until Crapple decided to let 3gs owners update to ios5. Now my phone is laggy and no way to roll back. I'm considering the Samsung Note for myself but I'm willing to go with a Lumia 900 for a year based on the price alone.

Here's the thing. I really like the Lumia. But my learning curve is pretty bad with WP7 system. I'm so used to iPhone right now and I don't have time to figure out every thing for my wife who has the Lumia.

Is there a link or a sticky that can give new Lumia 900 users tips/tricks/shortcuts to using it. I don't have time to research everything. Perhaps there aren't too many tricks but I'd like to see if there is a central resource for me to read from. Seems easy enough to just figure on my own but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks all.

I, too, came from the iOS environment. Used Android for 1 month and hated it. I was, at first, reluctant, to use the WP7 device, but after 1 DAY... 1 DAY... I was hooked. It's as easy to use as an iPhone, and a lot snappier. You won't regret your choice to switch devices... and after a little while, you'll find yourself using the phone and asking yourself....... "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

jtnichol

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm so impressed with this thread. I'm watching and saving everything. Didn't even think about the fact my Xbox is a MS device. Found that app! Can't wait to get started with my phone. ATT wouldn't let me take one out of the store so they are shipping one that has the lasted update first. My wife's phone just got an update. I'm also going to try and see if there is a way to export playlists from itunes so I can import them to Zune. If not, no biggie.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Now to search for accessories.

Any must haves or brands of cases to get?

THanks!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm so impressed with this thread. I'm watching and saving everything. Didn't even think about the fact my Xbox is a MS device. Found that app! Can't wait to get started with my phone. ATT wouldn't let me take one out of the store so they are shipping one that has the lasted update first. My wife's phone just got an update. I'm also going to try and see if there is a way to export playlists from itunes so I can import them to Zune. If not, no biggie.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Now to search for accessories.

Any must haves or brands of cases to get?

THanks!

How about using this for iTunes to Zune? :) http://www.windowscentral.com/tip-use-itunes-export-convert-your-playlists-zune

jtnichol

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, Got the phone....Got the windows live account to come up and tied in FB and Linkedin...Twitter etc...3 other mail accounts. All good...but the Windows Live account says "not up to date" Error code 860000108.

Researched it...tried to get rid of the error. Nothing works. hard reset the phone...deleted all emails out of Hotmail...deleted calendars etc.

The other BIG thing I have a hang up is no support for Teamviewer. Hopefully this changes because that is one app I forgot to research. I just assumed it would be available...NOPE.

Also, can't seem to find good cases like Otterbox Defender etc....

In time...I'm patient. Love the phone so far.

Love looking at media on it.

Other than a couple issues, this phone is slick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234