Silly question - buying apps directly on phone versus via ZUNE?

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Please feel free to delete thread if this has been discussed to death already.
I do have a quick question about whether it matters if you BUY your apps directly from the phone versus through the Zune Marketplace.

If you reset your phone, I read that ONLY the apps that you purchased via ZUNE are eligible for free re-download. Anything that you purchased directly via your phone is gone for good and must be purchased again?
Is that true?

I'm asking because I've purchased quite a few apps and games since acquiring my new WP7 phone. Thanks in advance!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
All apps are tied to your Live ID. Most can be re-downloaded by using the My Phone site but some have to be downloaded using your phone. Usually any apps that require using your phone, the My Phone page will email you a link and you just have to click on the link using your phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
All the apps that you purchase no matter what way you purchased them will be free to install again that is as long as your phone is set up with the same windows live ID. You can do this with up to 3 devices at the same time. Apps you purchase through the marketplace on your phone will not install automatically but apps you purchase through the marketplace on your PC will. That is the only difference.

SuperGrafx

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
All the apps that you purchase no matter what way you purchased them will be free to install again that is as long as your phone is set up with the same windows live ID. You can do this with up to 3 devices at the same time. Apps you purchase through the marketplace on your phone will not install automatically but apps you purchase through the marketplace on your PC will. That is the only difference.
Hmm. THank you everyone for confirming!

I was at Barnes and Noble this afternoon and the book "MY Windows 7 Phone" mentioned that any apps purchased directly on the phone will be gone for good after a hard reset (meaning you had to repurchase them). Either that was outdated info or just plain bad info.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Definitely bad info. I hard reset my Surround several times and reinstalled every app. About half purchased via PC, and the rest via phone. Also had no problem downloading my 188 apps/games to my new L900. Probably about half were paid apps.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Definitely bad info. I hard reset my Surround several times and reinstalled every app. About half purchased via PC, and the rest via phone. Also had no problem downloading my 188 apps/games to my new L900. Probably about half were paid apps.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I can corroborate this with my own experience. I purchase all my apps via the phone (just because it's more convenient). After hard resetting my Focus, I was able to download all my paid apps without any issues. Hope this helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3