When is orientation lock and persistent battery/network indicators coming to WP?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to be able to lock my screen in the orientation that I want. I also need to be able to see my battery pertentage and network conmections at all times. I feel that these two features are among the biggest flaws of Windows Phone OS. It goes to show that it is possible to err on the side of being too minimalistic like MS has done here. How hard is it to just give the user the option of turning them ON or OFF?

Anybody know if these features will be included in the 'Tango' release of the OS? When is Tango coming out btw?

Last edited:

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Orientation lock, I want. Persistent view if connections, no. It's pointless, and goes against the Metro philosophy.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to lock my screen in the orientation that I want. I also need to be able to see my battery pertentage and network conmections at all times. I feel that these two features are among the biggest flaws of Windows Phone OS. It goes to show that it is possible to err on the side of being too minimalistic like MS has done here. How hard is it to just give the user the option of turning them ON or OFF?

Anybody know if these features will be included in the 'Tango' release of the OS? When is Tango coming out btw?

Orientation lock is something I'll give you. I know for Windows 8, all devices require a toggle button for this. I would hope that we will get some toggle of sorts for Windows Phone 8.

As for peristant status information, you won't ever get that. So many apps have liberally used the entire screen and don't even let you pull them down. To me its not a big deal, I check If need to charge from time to time, but since I charge nightly I rarely need to charge extra. And I only need to check the WiFi or 3G connections if something isn't working (rare).

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd like an orientation lock, but my biggest (and only) issue is wh method of fast app switching. When I hold the back button, sometimes 4/5 of the tiles are the same app!

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd like the network indicators and battery icon to be present all the time except when a game or something covers it. But IMO on the home screen I want to see it all the time.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd love the orientation lock, though I'd prefer not to have another hardware button for it.

The persistent icons I don't care about. One of the things I like about WP7 is that it doesn't have that ugly clusterf*ck of pointless icons strewn across the top like Android does.

I agree it would be cool to have a way to turn it on and off for the people who really want to see some of those icons I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the many things included in Apollo.

But for me personally, it's really not a big deal to brush my finger down top of the screen 1 cm to get a glimpse. It took me about a day to get used to that and now it's a non-issue.

I do think it is a key part of the WP minimalist Zen aesthetic though. I don't need to constantly see how many bars I have and every radio that's turned on or off. The more I kind of go with the flow on this interface, the more I find that some of the things it does not do make sense and make it more pleasurable for me to use.

It's definitely not a good choice for control freaks though. That's why there is Android where you can control and see everything all the time (and you have to, because you'll never get it perfect and it will never work completely right)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3