Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Dear Windows Phone: Get Your **** Together

I think this is basically right.

Reasons I can't switch to Windows Phone:

1. No Verizon. Microsoft needs to throw money at Verizon, but they haven't or won't. Not even any rumors of a VZW Lumia anymore.

2. App support. MLB At Bat sucks. No official dropbox, gchat, Skype, a Microsoft product, is still beta. No spotify.

3. FTA "There are only so many times I can tell my friends that no, WP doesn't have that very basic feature, but look how beautiful it is."
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    Did this deserve it's own thread?

No.
    Thanked by:
    theefman, bear_lx, cckgz4 and 2 others like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    first of all . .. AGAIN!!?!?!?!

Second: MS has the BEST app support out of all the OS , they hold development events every week and constantly push DEVS to come over to WP... this is not MS's fault.

they even offer more app development support then any other OS ( sorry they are the only once offering support for app development )

Second Verizon said NO to MS, like BELL said no to MS . not Ms's fault Verizon CEO's are stupid.

FTA ( free to air ) you can get access to free radio stations / TV .. if its a paid Chanel MS will never support FTA for a paid Chanel! copy-rights!

( is looking for a thread to merge this with * annoyed* )
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Thanked by:
    bear_lx likes this.

@tekhna
    Looking at all of your other post on this forum, I see that you are a Droid troll.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungzwei View Post
    @tekhna
    Looking at all of your other post on this forum, I see that you are a Droid troll.
    Nope. I'd love to buy a WP7 phone, but there are too many obstacles at this moment. I'll buy a WP7 phone the moment an LTE-enabled phone hits Verizon. Hold me to it. I've said numerous times that I'm platform agnostic.

Global Posts
    2,858 Global Posts
    I read that article and it sounds like he is using a different OS than me. I am kind of a phone geek, but those deficiencies he points out aren't something I or the average user will notice. i just know that WP is fast, smooth, has a decent amount of apps, plays good with Zune Pass and does not crash. I have not used iOS or Android as my everyday phone(but familiar with them both), but for only being about a year and a half old, WP is looking pretty nice.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Dear Windows Phone: Get Your **** Together

I think this is basically right.

Reasons I can't switch to Windows Phone:

1. No Verizon. Microsoft needs to throw money at Verizon, but they haven't or won't. Not even any rumors of a VZW Lumia anymore.

2. App support. MLB At Bat sucks. No official dropbox, gchat, Skype, a Microsoft product, is still beta. No spotify.

3. FTA "There are only so many times I can tell my friends that no, WP doesn't have that very basic feature, but look how beautiful it is."
    While there certainly are limitatins, there are strengths to the WP platform that must be appreciated as well. t's entirely your choice whether to go for a Windows Phone or not, but I wanted to help clarify some things:

1. Verizon said they're focusing on LTE devices. Maybe we'll see some Windows Phones now that we know it's LTE capable (courtesy of Lumia 900).

2. Skype is out of beta and is scheduled for release soon. You can still get the beta version via the Marketplace (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...b-c0a3f4360a51). There's also Tango and, very shortly, Viber to add to the list. Also, Spotify has been available for a while - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...3-baad091ecdd1.

3. I'm not familiar with FTA, so maybe someone else can help with that.

I've been an iPhone owner in the past, and have used Android phones of family members. I'm pleased with the Windows Phone platform. Are there limitations? Sure, as with all platforms. Are there fewer popular/mainstream apps? Sure, but the list is getting smaller. It meets my needs for what I want to do, and greatly enhances my experience while doing so. Hopefully it'll do the same for you one day!

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    For whatever it is worth, I have an HTC Trophy on Verizon and I'm pretty happy with it, "despite" owning an Android OS smartphone (Motorola Droid 2) and an iOS smartphone (Apple iPhone 4).

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    the *****'s complaints were primarily about poorly written apps, not the OS itself. This is not Microsoft's fault...this is the developer's fault for being stuck in antiquated programming patterns for antiquated iOS.

So a guy that doesn't use windows phone is trying to convince us of the credibility of a gizmodo article that almost reads like it was written by someone who hasnt really spent any time with the platform.

What a worthless rehashed thread

Because WP is the only platform that launched missing features. Android and iOS missing features for a bit (years) was all a figment of our imaginations.

Skype has only been a microsoft product since last year. I use gchat on my phone just fine with IM+ I dont see why google would make an official app for it. All you cant do on that list is dropbox.

There is a spotify app. http://www.spotify.com/us/mobile/windowsphone/
    Last edited by Canesfan625; 04-16-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,638 Global Posts
    i hate the idea of censoring a message board, but enough is enough already

how do you know wp7 is making a dent? by the number of trolls that pop up...
    WayCool, HeyCori and Old_Cus like this.

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    How many people are going to continue to try and be witty and compare this phone to some real life scenario whether it be a 'new home' or a 'certain type of girl' or calling us all 'beta testers'? Man, this stuff gets old.

I'd like to get on here and engage people in discussions about usage, maybe some minor bugs they found so that I can look out for them, tips on taking better pictures for those that need them (until a possible software update helps with some of the issues being seen), and other relevant stuff like the $100 credit from Nokia (which was the selling point here).

Posts like these really take away from this great forum. Then again, I bothered to take the time to respond. Guess I just needed to vent.

...........and I'm done.:dry
    HeyCori likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Wait a minute.

You mean to tell me a phone OS that has barely been around for 2 years doesn't have as many apps as one that's been around for 5 years?

The Major League Baseball app isn't that great? The Skype software is in beta? My God.. the humanity.

This forum is in danger of sliding into a lame b*tch-fest where every other thread is some dolt griping about their particular complaints about Windows Phone in all caps as if it's the end of the world as we know it and it's sad.

We don't all have to sing cumbaya and say everything is perfect in Windows Phone world, but this place is great when it's people helping each other or sharing ideas or doing something productive.

If you don't have a Windows Phone, you don't like them, or all you want to do is vent about what they can't do yet/what the iPhone or Android does better, then really why are you here?

Do you think Steve Ballmer is reading this forum every day hanging on your every word so he can make his to do list for the week?

"Oh crap. Tekhna says he's not getting a Windows Phone until the MLB app is better. Get the developer on the line right now and hold all my calls! Tell Verizon they need to start selling all of the Windows Phones immediately. Tekhna's unhappy. Oh, wait, here's another user who says the People Hub sucks because it imported their contacts from the email account the connected to the phone. Fix that immediately or heads are gonna rolllll!"

GTFO whiners and complainers. Go buy an Android or an iPhone and STFU if you have nothing to contribute.
    Thanked by:
    theefman likes this.

Some people are very irate on either side of the fence here guys. Calm down and realize that everytime you post your vehement objections to ideas presented in this thread and others like it, you bump it right up to the top of the page! Everyone who has posted against him has tried to dismiss his comments and the article, why not actually dismiss it and let it slide off of the first page and into the abyss?

With that said I will continue to support MSFT with my WP7 because I understand software takes a long time to develop and test properly. Microsoft has proven they are capable of making a fantastic OS and I have no doubt it will continue to get better with every iteration. Thanks to a leaked roadmap and predictable development cycle on MSFT's part, I am 90% sure we will see Apollo and WP8 devices at the end of the year. I love the functionality of Mango and I know Apollo will just add more, so why stress about it? You can complain all you like, but no need to post a caustic thread you know will get people riled it, it is called baiting and should be bannable imo.

I don't get it either. I like my WP7. I've been using it since it first came out. If I wanted to do nothing but ***** about it, I'd join an android or apple forum. There are some things that have yet to be addressed, but it does what I want it to do. And most of the things that it does do, it does better than my iPhone did.
    I love my new 900, and will be getting a WP8 device in the near future.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    I understand that you're lurking around to see if something changes to CONVINCE you to try WP out, but why don't you just take a chance instead of lingering on what these bloggers say? They are not preaching the gospel, just opinions that aren't backed by anything. A lot of these sites are losing credibility and I'm sorry but they should be SEVERAL STEPS ahead of their readers as far as having the knowledge of the things they are posting about. The people in the comment section shouldn't be educating them and that seems to be what is happening.

Try it for yourself
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

bear_lx likes this.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Troll. Nothing to see here...
    -joe-
    Had 'em all. Every iPhone since day one, Androids out the ****.
    DVP, Lumia 900, now a Yellow 920. Windows Phone is elegant, simple. Nuff Said.
    Some Stuff

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Wow, what has Microsoft done? The fanboy fury in response to what is intended as constructive criticism is incredible. There are real, demonstrable shortcomings being pointed out, and instead of talking about them you guys launch into screeds that probably serve to drive people away from the platform instead of encouraging thoughtful discussion. And you call me the troll? As I said, I'm platform agnostic--my present phone is Android, with an iphone 4, a Palm Pre, and a couple WM phones in a drawer. I'm more than willing, in fact, excited to buy a WP phone, but there are real, tangible reasons not to.

But, here, in public, I promise to buy a Lumia if one ever hits Verizon. As I said, hold me to it. Or would you rather scream bitterly about people pointing out the shortcomings of WP?
    fisci likes this.

Global Posts
    2,995 Global Posts
    Man, someone must have done that Jedi mind trick on me for the last 18 months, thank goodness for articles like this that have woken me up. I'm ditching my WP7 NAOOOOWWWW!!!!!! :dry
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    I just saw this over on the 900 good/bad thread, and it's **** like this that's baffling and indefensible

"There is not a separate volume for headset and speaker. It is one of the things the OS is missing."

Are you kidding me??
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    Wow, what has Microsoft done? The fanboy fury in response to what is intended as constructive criticism is incredible. There are real, demonstrable shortcomings being pointed out, and instead of talking about them you guys launch into screeds that probably serve to drive people away from the platform instead of encouraging thoughtful discussion. And you call me the troll? As I said, I'm platform agnostic--my present phone is Android, with an iphone 4, a Palm Pre, and a couple WM phones in a drawer. I'm more than willing, in fact, excited to buy a WP phone, but there are real, tangible reasons not to.

But, here, in public, I promise to buy a Lumia if one ever hits Verizon. As I said, hold me to it. Or would you rather scream bitterly about people pointing out the shortcomings of WP?
    The problem with your thread is that it's NOT original. It's a regurgitation of things that are CURRENTLY being discussed in several other threads. You could have easily of posted your gripes in one of those.
    jbjtkbw00#AC likes this.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    OP said there's no Spotify LOLOLOL.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I just saw this over on the 900 good/bad thread, and it's **** like this that's baffling and indefensible

"There is not a separate volume for headset and speaker. It is one of the things the OS is missing."

Are you kidding me??
    yes...

This and many other hilarious basic missing functions that people on here lose it if you point out.

Constructive criticism? I haven't seen any in this thread. Just pointing out a flawed gizmodo article that was designed to attract more clicks over being accurate and then trying to point out some stuff about apps. The only thing on your list that doesn't exist in some form yet is drop box. Saying that there is no Spotify tells us all we need to know.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdtox View Post
    yes...

This and many other hilarious basic missing functions that people on here lose it if you point out.
    And what's even more hilarious are those that pretend that there isn't a difference between constructive criticism or just flat saying something to say it. Not only are some of the facts that are stated in the article are flat out wrong, this didn't need another topic to crowd up this section that has a sea of similar topics. I believe other forums would actually WARN members for not using the search function. So......

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast