Current devices WILL NOT get Apollo.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't laugh at something that ms_nerd says. He seems to be magical with his leaks.

If that stands true then to sum up his recent tweets:

Windows Phone 8 is beyond beta, but being tested as beta on Nokia Lumia 610, Nokia Lumia 800 and a range of other current and future devices. Microsoft is silent on this as the new upgrade won't be a simple thing for current handsets. Current owners if get the upgrade in this stage, will have to have a full back up of their data first, then flash a new Windows Phone 8 ROM, then upgrade, then restore. The OEMs and carrier stores don't want to have customers queuing for ROM flash and hence until Microsoft comes up with auto-back up, auto-ROM flash, auto-upgrade and auto-restore via Zune Client, they don't want to promise anything to the current devices. However, Microsoft and Windows Phone teams are committed to support long term to their current and future users.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Assume you get the update. What are you expecting? From what I have seen very few of the features, that will come with it, will even work on current 2 gen phones(NFC, etc.). Other then a re-skinning of the UI I doubt you would notice much difference between what you have now and WP8.
I want small tweaks which fill gaps still present in the operating system. There are many (minor) flaws in Mango that have not been fixed in Tango, much like how Windows Phone 7.0 had massive issues that were only fixed in Mango (not NoDo).

If The Verge doesn't lift my ban by April, I'll be publishing my issues with Windows Phone on this site. 8000 words.

The screen resolution is unlikely to be a factor, but I think you're oversimplifying the potential problems elsewhere. ARM CPUs aren't like x86s. These are System-on-a-Chip (SoC) designs, meaning it's got CPU, GPU, bus controller, radios, memory, etc all on that one one single chip that we colloquially call "the processor". Besides the feature creep, there are power, battery, and radio management issues that are specific to each SoC and very important to get right.
Yet the screen resolution is a point that many so-called tech journalists seem to point towards - "oh look, Windows Phone 8 is 720p so current devices can't get it". Makes zero sense.

You think they can't handle multiple chassis specifications? Let's toss aside desktop Windows for a second - Microsoft is already dealing with numerous hardware components and configurations on Windows Phone (for example, HTC putting a dedicated image processing chip in the Titan II). There aren't as few chipsets as you might think - there are launch, Mango, Tango and LTE devices. Then consider that Windows Phone runs on the TG01 and HD2, which I believe are again slightly different to the launch hardware.

I also call bull**** on kernel issues. Windows Phone apps will run on the next version, a complete ROM flash following backup of user data (to SkyDrive) will do the trick. Unless Apollo really has no support for WVGA, XDA will get it running on older devices. And if they can without a ridiculous amount of hackery, Microsoft can too.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This whole WP7 to WP8 fiasco is starting to make me wonder if Microsoft has just lost their way. Nevermind they can simply release a desktop tool to facilitate the upgrade, similar to how Windows Mobile updates worked. I feel sorry for people who just bought the 900 if it won't be upgradeable. Some of them say they're find with it, and most of those probably are just trying to keep a straight face and play cool when they know they will be super pissed.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This whole WP7 to WP8 fiasco is starting to make me wonder if Microsoft has just lost their way. Nevermind they can simply release a desktop tool to facilitate the upgrade, similar to how Windows Mobile updates worked. I feel sorry for people who just bought the 900 if it won't be upgradeable. Some of them say they're find with it, and most of those probably are just trying to keep a straight face and play cool when they know they will be super pissed.

There is no fiasco. Just a bunch of people on here acting like they have no sense. Worry about Apollo news after Tango, yeah?

If that stands true then to sum up his recent tweets:

Windows Phone 8 is beyond beta, but being tested as beta on Nokia Lumia 610, Nokia Lumia 800 and a range of other current and future devices. Microsoft is silent on this as the new upgrade won't be a simple thing for current handsets. Current owners if get the upgrade in this stage, will have to have a full back up of their data first, then flash a new Windows Phone 8 ROM, then upgrade, then restore. The OEMs and carrier stores don't want to have customers queuing for ROM flash and hence until Microsoft comes up with auto-back up, auto-ROM flash, auto-upgrade and auto-restore via Zune Client, they don't want to promise anything to the current devices. However, Microsoft and Windows Phone teams are committed to support long term to their current and future users.

For those who want to follow: http://twitter.com/#!/ms_nerd

Last edited:

vantil

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
People just have no patience.
That said, Microsoft or Nokia should soon just come out and comment something. Even if they can't say anything detailed.
God knows WP and Nokia could use good news and good media right now. So much confusion, speculation and panic going on.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
People just have no patience.
That said, Microsoft or Nokia should soon just come out and comment something. Even if they can't say anything detailed.
God knows WP and Nokia could use good news and good media right now. So much confusion, speculation and panic going on.
And as usual, overblown by the tech media.

Microsoft has been extremely secretive lately - think about the drama around development for Windows 8, where Microsoft wouldn't/isn't answering questions vital for its developers to know.

There's no reason to conclude that Microsoft knows for sure whether Apollo will get to current devices. It has to work with carriers and OEMs, it has to finalise Apollo (if it hasn't done so already), it needs to test it on all current devices.

Freebie: Apple hasn't announced that iOS 6 will be compatible with current iOS devices.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
You are kidding youself if you are thinking that all wp7 devices are getting the upgrade. This late in this game, MS is still not committing to giving upgrade to some wp7 devices and only stated current apps will run on wp8. It is extremely selfish act on MS part. MS does not want to lose current apps.
We are not getting the upgrade. On a more serious note, MS is not even commenting on future apps compatibility with current wp devices. Why should anyone buy wp?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/wininfo-short-takes-april-20-2012-142888

Will Microsoft, the Handset Makers, or Microsoft Support Upgrades to Windows Phone 8? Duh. No.

There were some dueling stories about whether it would be possible to upgrade any existing Windows Phone handsets—including first-generation Windows Phone 7 devices and newer Windows Phone 7.5 handsets like the Lumia 900—to the forthcoming Windows Phone 8. Allow me to set the record straight. No. It won't happen. Not for the Lumia 900, and not for any other existing phone. It won’t happen partially, through an update that will deliver just some features, and it won't happen for those who wish to pay for such an update. It simply isn't happening. Sorry. But please don’t email me about this; I’m just the messenger. That said, please consider the following logic behind this decision, which doesn’t explain why I can be so emphatic about this topic—sources at Microsoft confirmed this for me anonymously after the company’s infamously hard-to-reach Windows Phone PR team belatedly offered up a “no comment” after repeated queries. First, there’s no economic imperative; Microsoft’s partners have sold very few Windows Phones, and supporting a new platform on legacy hardware would be expensive. Second, the experience would be terrible; Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows 8, not Windows Phone 7.x, and requires headier, higher-end hardware with two or more core processors. Third, handset makers and wireless carriers would never support this upgrade; they want to sell new phones. And finally, wireless carriers would never, ever, ever, ever deliver this update to users. There is just no way this will ever happen. And that’s true even when you factor out that I know for a fact that this isn't happening. Again. Sorry.

Honestly, I find myself not caring at all. It was kind of a surprising feeling, but then I realized I didn't want to stay on my old WP7 handset and I didn't want to switch to Android or iPhone. Instead I'm going to enjoy this fantastic Lumia 900 until I feel it's time to move to Apollo at the end of the year or early next year. I can take it back still, but I don't want to. I know people still on Gingerbread that are perfectly happy, I myself declined the honeycomb update on my tablet. Stop freaking out about specs and updates and versions in the future and just enjoy your phone.

You know what's going to be better than the launch devices for Apollo? The phones that come out after the launch devices. :) Stop thinking of it as a brick wall and think of it as an always rolling technology upgrade. Is the Galaxy Nexus going to be the best Ice Cream sandwich device because it was first? Nope.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/wininfo-short-takes-april-20-2012-142888

Honestly, I find myself not caring at all. It was kind of a surprising feeling, but then I realized I didn't want to stay on my old WP7 handset and I didn't want to switch to Android or iPhone. Instead I'm going to enjoy this fantastic Lumia 900 until I feel it's time to move to Apollo at the end of the year or early next year. I can take it back still, but I don't want to. I know people still on Gingerbread that are perfectly happy, I myself declined the honeycomb update on my tablet. Stop freaking out about specs and updates and versions in the future and just enjoy your phone.

Paul Thurrott is the biggest troll of them all. Google the guy for yourself. He's missing a few screws.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott is the biggest troll of them all. Google the guy for yourself. He's missing a few screws.

I've been following him for about a decade, I'd say the exact opposite personally. Then again as you roughly point out, this is still not official. We can always hope the rumors of Apollo being tested will bear fruit.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been following him for about a decade, I'd say the exact opposite personally. Then again as you roughly point out, this is still not official. We can always hope the rumors of Apollo being tested will bear fruit.

Forgetting his Apple trolling He also claimed that not all phones would be getting Tango (a platform refresh) and the platform is about to fragment massively. So not all phones will be getting tango and no one is getting apollo? might as well throw it on the ground and stomp on it.

M

mkr10001

Everyone needs to just shut the **** up about this whole thing.

NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE!

We don't need thousands of threads on the same topic

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE!

My Abacus isn't getting Apollo!

1234931504682.jpg

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Forgetting his Apple trolling He also claimed that not all phones would be getting Tango (a platform refresh) and the platform is about to fragment massively. So not all phones will be getting tango and no one is getting apollo? might as well throw it on the ground and stomp on it.

I don't know if he's right or not but I fail to see how these statements of his are obviously nonsensical.

How many phones have gotten Tango so far? Has AT&T announced that the Gen1 handsets will get it, or even if the early Gen2 handsets (Titan, Focus S) will get it? Presumably the L900 will, but the earlier ones? I know there's been claims that the carriers are contractually bound to provide major updates, but that's just wishful thinking unless somebody comes up with copies of the contracts.

If Thurrott is right that a major issue with the Gen1 and Gen 1.5 handsets is that they can't run Apollo because they're underpowered, then he's also right that WP is about to fragment, because this means that MS can't push WP8 down to the 256MB and 128MB budget phones *either* so WP7 and WP8 will have to coexist.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if he's right or not but I fail to see how these statements of his are obviously nonsensical.

How many phones have gotten Tango so far? Has AT&T announced that the Gen1 handsets will get it, or even if the early Gen2 handsets (Titan, Focus S) will get it? Presumably the L900 will, but the earlier ones? I know there's been claims that the carriers are contractually bound to provide major updates, but that's just wishful thinking unless somebody comes up with copies of the contracts.

If Thurrott is right that a major issue with the Gen1 and Gen 1.5 handsets is that they can't run Apollo because they're underpowered, then he's also right that WP is about to fragment, because this means that MS can't push WP8 down to the 256MB and 128MB budget phones *either* so WP7 and WP8 will have to coexist.

His speculation on Devices getting tango are because in his world it only adds support for low end devices. The reality is different. It adds new features as well.

Tango Unlocked Emulator, plus video demo of changes - Windows Phone Hacker

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

NOBODY KNOWS FOR SURE!

Seriously.

Everyone STFU already.

The righteous indignation over rumors is absurd. Some of these idiots are ready to crucify Microsoft over SOMETHING THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SAID A WORD ABOUT.

Until MICROSOFT or NOKIA or AT&T says definitively what they are doing here, there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in getting worked up over stupid rumors and speculation and treating them like facts.

It's going to be a while until any of them make any kind of concrete statements about this, so I suggest you make yourselves comfortable and carry on with your lives instead of stirring up this sh*tstorm over nothing constantly here and on the Verge and other stupid worthless rumor sites.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
His speculation on Devices getting tango are because in his world it only adds support for low end devices. The reality is different. It adds new features as well.

I'm aware of that, but I fail to see how it makes his statement about Tango nonsensical. If AT&T decides to distribute Tango for the Gen1.5 devices as a sop for missing Apollo, how does this not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango". Conversely if AT&T decides not to distribute Tango to all of their legacy devices because it's main features are things like lower memory consumption and extra languages, how does this still not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango"? And if AT&T decides not to distribute Tango to their Gen 1 devices because they're just greedy b*stards who hate us, how does this still not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango"?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

The only "fiasco" is in the minds of the idiots who are letting their imaginations run wild on baseless rumors and bullish*t when there isn't a single solitary meaningful statement about this from Microsoft. Until there is, there is no "fiasco", in fact there's nothing to discuss really. Just a lot of drama perpetuated by idiot hipster bloggers and people who play right into it.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware of that, but I fail to see how it makes his statement about Tango nonsensical. If AT&T decides to distribute Tango for the Gen1.5 devices as a sop for missing Apollo, how does this not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango". Conversely if AT&T decides not to distribute Tango to all of their legacy devices because it's main features are things like lower memory consumption and extra languages, how does this still not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango"? And if AT&T decides not to distribute Tango to their Gen 1 devices because they're just greedy b*stards who hate us, how does this still not qualify as "not all devices getting Tango"?

The first is an update, or set of updates, code-named Tango, that’s targeting only new devices that will be sold in emerging markets.

If it doesn't get released because a carrier decides to hold it back for some strange reason his assumption is still incorrect. Tango is not "targeting only new devices in emerging markets"

-EDIT- ATT has committed to a post 8107 update already...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa