Chicago Times blog article warning MS to not screw current WP owners out of WP8

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a good article. In particular, the idea of using "Metro" as the unifying brand name should be listened to. We've discussed how the label "Windows Phone" is underwhelming. I'd say drop the "Windows" label altogether and just call the OS/UI "Metro". It's as distinctive as "Android" and is fresher than "Windows" anything.

As for the main thesis, that MS shouldn't screw current WP owners out of WP8, I'm afraid that's not really something that MS can do much about at this point. If WP8 doesn't fit the current device specs, then it doesn't and that's the end of it. We've talked that one to death, and all we know is that MS isn't saying a word about it.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As for the main thesis, that MS shouldn't screw current WP owners out of WP8, I'm afraid that's not really something that MS can do much about at this point. If WP8 doesn't fit the current device specs, then it doesn't and that's the end of it. We've talked that one to death, and all we know is that MS isn't saying a word about it.

Exactly this, why can't people realize there may be technical limitations preventing WP8 from running well on their phones? Would they rather go the 3gs route and have their phone run like crap?? I know I don't!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
he's dead right! i have a real hard time believing MS will screw this up. they are all in on this one and have publicly stated that they are in this for the long haul. how can a company so experienced be so naive? they arent. they know what they need to do. now lets make it happen!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly this, why can't people realize there may be technical limitations preventing WP8 from running well on their phones? Would they rather go the 3gs route and have their phone run like crap?? I know I don't!

the 3GS didn't run like crap, it just ran super slow because the 4S was so much faster. I'm ok with maintaining the same level of performance, even if certain new features have to be omitted.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
More hysteria from the "in-crowd". 99.999% of consumers have no idea about the "will 7.x devices get Apollo" kerfuffle. The main problem right now is Nokia severely underestimated demand and Lumia's are sold out in stores, leading to frustrated customers.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My bet is that they don't want to orphan the old devices, but they might have to. If they have to choose between introducing a lesser Apollo in order to make it all work across all devices old and new, OR introducing a new badass kickass round of devices that will possibly bury Apple and Android, they will probably choose the latter for the benefit of the platform. Remember keeping us is important, but bringing in MILLIONS more is more important because those of us that are already here will likely stay regardless because we're hooked.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree, oldpueblo. I'm excited about the integration of the entire Windows ecosystem with Windows 8.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
i think they are working on a solution to backup user data / apps removing the old os installing the new one restoring user data and reinstalling apps if they reach a prefect solution they will announce the upgrade option

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
A unifying name is definitely needed and "Metro" is a solid way to go and would be a great way to launch Apollo in the fall. MS has always screwed up the naming on just about everything they sell, or do. Perhaps they need to get the folks out on the town and have they meet up with some cool kids to see how its done.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm on contract with my HD7 for another 2 years and change, and I would STILL rather have my speedy, super-slick 7.5 than a few awesome features on a slow, laggy 8. If they can make 8 run smooth on 1st Gen specs then I want it. Otherwise, I'll wait until I can afford to pick up the latest Nokia masterpiece to experience it.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a good article. In particular, the idea of using "Metro" as the unifying brand name should be listened to. We've discussed how the label "Windows Phone" is underwhelming. I'd say drop the "Windows" label altogether and just call the OS/UI "Metro". It's as distinctive as "Android" and is fresher than "Windows" anything.

They can call it "metrOS". haha

To be honest, I don't think they need to change it at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos