Problems receiving attachments from pop3 accounts

kvsmith59

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I posted this in the microsoft forums but no one had a clue and was hoping someone here might know the answer:
----------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm having problems getting attachments on my new Lumia 900.

1. I use Outlook on my desktop and new Lumia with my primary email account being a pop3 email address from comcast
2. When I send an email using Outlook with any type of attachments to myself, the email shows up in Outlook with the attachments. The same email also shows up on the Lumia, but no paperclip/attachment. When you go into the body of the email, there is a link that says "Download message (about XX KB). I click on it, it says downloading at the top, but then that link disappears and the attachment doesn't show up.
3. Sending the same exact message from comcast's webmail, hotmail, or gmail works. Attachments show up as paperclips, I can open and view them, etc.
4. I updated the OS version as soon as I got it... OS version: 7.10.8112.7
5. Never had this issue with the last phone, an Android
6. This happens whether or not I "forward" or "send" an email with attachments. Not sure if I have same issue with email from someone else as I just noticed this and haven't received any emails with attachments on phone yet (just got phone yesterday)
7. I need ability to send myself email attachments (to phone from desktop) without going through the hassle of uploading it to skydrive or getting online to send email through hotmail or comcast webmail. I also have pop3 accounts linked to Outlook that I don't want on the phone, but if I want to forward an email from the other accounts, I can't.
8. Basically it seems like somewhere along the line the attachments are being stripped when I get them on phone from a pop3 account.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You have the email in outlook and you send it to yourself. You are sending the email from you@whatever(dot)com to you@whatever(dot)com same email address then checking it on the phone? Or are you sending it from you@whatever(dot)com to you@live(dot)com?

kvsmith59

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
You have the email in outlook and you send it to yourself. You are sending the email from you@whatever(dot)com to you@whatever(dot)com same email address then checking it on the phone? Or are you sending it from you@whatever(dot)com to you@live(dot)com?
I know it sounds weird, but a scenario would be something like this:

A. I create an excel spreadsheet on my computer, but need the same spreadsheet on my cell phone. The normal way I'd do it was to open Outlook on the desktop, attach the spreadsheet and send it from my desktop email (ex: kevin@comcast.net) to the same email address. With the pop3 account from comcast on both my desktop and cellphone, I'd get a copy of the spreadsheet sent back to my desktop and one would pop up on my cell phone ready to go.
B. Also, if I get an email from a client on my desktop I would sometimes have to make changes to the attachment and then forward it on to my cell phone with the changes.
C. With my android phone, never had an issue. With the WP7 phone, the email shows up but no attachments.
D. Right now, I can send an attachment from kevin@hotmail.com or kevin@gmail.com to the kevin@comcast.net and the attachment shows up. I can even get on comcast's webmail client online and send an attachment and it shows up. It's just emails that I send or forward from the desktop version of Outlook that seem to have the attachments stripped. I thought it was Outlook itself, but when I hit send/receive, that same email sends it back to the desktop with attachments.

Hope that makes sense. I know I can work around all of this by just using the hotmail account or uploading the enclosures to skydrive to get it on the phone, but I really want to figure out why this behavior is occurring.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking if you have outlook set to remove emails from the server that could be your issue but if it worked on your other devices it shouldn't change with a Windows Phone. I will try doing some testing see if I am getting the same thing. Couldn't you just send the email from your Comcast email to your live mail address?

P.S. You should remove your email addresses from your other post or you will get spammed.

kvsmith59

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking if you have outlook set to remove emails from the server that could be your issue but if it worked on your other devices it shouldn't change with a Windows Phone. I will try doing some testing see if I am getting the same thing. Couldn't you just send the email from your Comcast email to your live mail address?

P.S. You should remove your email addresses from your other post or you will get spammed.
Those were fake emails :) Yeah, I've got the comcast account set up through Outlook to leave the emails on their servers. I can and will just send the emails to the hotmail address more than likely, but am still curious about why it's not working. I'm also worried that someone else sending an attachment from their own pop3 email addresses will exhibit the same thing. I'm out in the "field" a lot with my job and sometimes I get emails from clients with attachments that need immediate attention. The few I've gotten since getting the Lumia have come through with the attachments so so far so good.

By the way, do you know if there is any way to lock the screen orientation on the phone? It's not a big deal with the exception of when I'm reading a book using the Kindle app. The android app allows you to lock the screen but the WP7 one doesn't seem to have the ability to do that. I read a lot in bed and it's irritating when it flips from vertical to horizontal. Other than those two issues, this is probably the best smart phone I've owned and I love the WP7 OS......

Thanks again for your help!

Kevin

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
This is going to sound REALLY dumb, but why not just use Sky Drive if you need to get an office doc onto your phone? That's a prime reason for using it.

kvsmith59

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
This is going to sound REALLY dumb, but why not just use Sky Drive if you need to get an office doc onto your phone? That's a prime reason for using it.
not so dumb at all. I probably just need to make some changes to how I do stuff with the new OS. Always had to have work arounds with the android and Iphone so I got used to sending everything to my phone via Outlook. More worried about similar problem if someone sends me an email attachment while I'm out and about. That's my big issue right now.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That's a different scenario then from your examples. Haven't used exchange in almost 9 months so I'm no help there, but yeah, from a desktop to the phone, Sky Drive is the way to go. Seamless and it just keeps getting better.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If screen orientation lock isn't available in the Kindle app settings then there is no way to do it. I would recommend sending a suggestion to the developer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs