Sold another one.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
A buddy of mine was in the market for a new phone. His contract was up and he was on a Blackberry. Time to upgrade. So he comes to me and asks me what I'm using. I tell him Windows Phone. His reply... What's that?

I proceed to spend the time to show him what it is, how it looks, let him hold it and try out the apps. I tell him up front, it's not for everyone. It doesn't have all the apps of Droid or iPhone. While I'm talking, other people in the office come over. Everyone starts wanting to play with it. I tell him what I like about it is that it is SIMPLE. It just works and works. It doesn't lock up. I don't have to do battery pulls, and if I want fancy, I can add more apps. He says he likes it but wants to look at Droid Razr Maxx and iPhone 4S.

Come to work today and I have an email from him... "So I tried them out and the Windows Phone did what I wanted to do more simply than the others so I got one. When can I buy you a beer and really start customizing this thing! I REALLY love it!"

Keep in mind, he's a Marine with 20+ years in before he retired. For him to say he loves it, well... he loves his God, Country, Corps, Guns, Wife and Kids.

Meanwhile, some other people at work who were part of the hands on I showed the Marine, are also sending me "Can that phone do..." type emails.

Just thought I would share. People are looking for options. Many just want a SIMPLE device that will just WORK.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
All Nokia and MSFT have to do is spam marketing and it will sell. And why they are not pushing Zune Pass for $10 a month all the music you can eat is beyond me.

I love my phone and I'm a tech nerd. My prediction is they will start to eat into the droid market share later this year.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
He can use it on WiFi as an iPod Touch for gaming or sell it.

He has unlimited data and is contemplating keeping it data only ($40/month) as he will have to switch carriers for the 800. He will get 50% off his phone and plan with the 800 so why not, right? He's on the verge of pulling the trigger. He knew nothing about WP but was "curious" when I started talking to him. Maybe he'll hook me up for helping him out... *drools at thought of getting his own 800*

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It warms my heart to hear this story. Meanwhile, while I was at the ATT store getting my messed up lumia replaced with another Lumia, i hear a highschool girl in there with her mother wanting a smart phone. The girl is new to the smart phone thing. The store's assistant manager is throwing a bunch of terms at her that damn near makes her head spin. He's showing her all of the phones.....all except for....yup you guessed it....the Lumia. I hear her saying she wants something thats not that expensive, something she can keep in touch with all her friends, yada yada. In my mind I'm like A WINDOWS PHONE IS RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY!

The 900 is cheap, but not cheaply made. The asst manager was showing here phone that were like 199 on contract and a few other android/iphones. I'm like WTF. I would have talked to her, but they left the store before I could say something. I was busy getting my account squared away. I so want to become a store associate on weekends. I don't want to do the transactions, i just want to give equal opportunity to all the phones in the store. These guys aren't doing it right.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would never want to offend our resident cell phone salespeople, but honestly, I look at a lot of the salesmen in our area and it's just abundantly clear they have no idea what they are talking about and are getting by in sales with their personalities and little else.

I finally had a local WP sighting, and he was very frustrated, telling me how it was the first phone he'd ever had that got a virus. It was an LG Quantum. He'd had trouble figuring out how to get his contacts set up, and his carrier representative told him these phones were well known for getting viruses, and he would need to do a hard reset.

*smh*

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
A virus? Really?

Forgot to add: My co-worker was interested in it. She has a Photon 4G. She thought it was very neat how the information for people's updates showed up on the tiles. She asked was it something I had to "create" (a la Android) and I told her that it comes standard. Just sucks that there aren't more options for her carrier

Last edited:

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
A good friend of mine is due for an upgrade in the upcoming months. I asked what he was looking to get into when that time comes. When he replied another Android device on AT&T, I simply asked if he would like to give WP7.5 a shot.

Because of my recent upgrade to the Lumia 900, I have my old HTC HD7S just sitting around. I offered him the device for a week or so, to let him really get into the guts of using it on a daily basis. So, we'll see how that goes, and I'll report back....... he's not used to change, so this could get interesting. He's had an Android for over almost 2 years. And before that, he was a Windows Mobile user; he said the experience left a bad taste in his mouth.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I have a lot of extra free time at times. I wouldn't be against setting up a kiosk just to show people what it's like for free.

I took this one step further. I have a demo Trophy from my verndor. I sent out emails to a few of my personal groups I am a member of telling them that anyone is free to borrow it for 2 weeks. No cost, no strings attached. I don't get any reimbursement out of it. I just want people to give it a fair try. I would help them set it up and show them how easy it is to do things and a few apps.

That email went out Friday, I've already got a line waiting...

WinPhan7

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all! I'm in the process now of setting up a WinPhan VIP program to recognize and reward non-sales people for their diligence, enthusiasm, and effort to better promote the WP platform. I am an enthusiast like you so the rewards will be SWAG items, not cruises. If you're interested in learning more about the WinPhan Campaign follow this link. WPC has been kind enough enough to sticky this in the general discussion. Have a WinPhanTastic day! http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/189263.htm

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express