Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Is it possible? I mean, its not necessary because the wonderful integration and aggregation of accounts on WP7 makes it seamless, but just the same I NEVER use my gmail account for email and my contacts are only there because of my previous Android phone. Apparently going from Windows Mobile 6.x to Android was no problem to populate my Google contact info?!?

Anyhow, basically the only reason I need to maintain my Google account is for my contact information. I've been an MSN account owner for 20 years. So how do I copy or merge my Google contact information to my Windows Live contacts? Manually, it would be a lot of work that wouldn't be worth my time. But I'd rather quit using my google account and remove it from my WP7 phone.

You can try exporting your contacts from Gmail as CSV file, then you can import the CSV file into Windows Live. That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff4L View Post
    You can try exporting your contacts from Gmail as CSV file, then you can import the CSV file into Windows Live. That's what I did.
    Not very elegant, but I guess if it works... is it safe to assume that export to CSV and import to CSV are both native functions of the web interfaces for both? So I go to Gmail and I'll find "export to CSV" to create a file on my PC and then go the Windows Live and I'll find "import contacts from CSV"?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    try here:

1: Syncing your WP (PC, MAC and Contacts)

in the E-mail section i have a G-mail to Hotmail/live link.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    try here:

1: Syncing your WP (PC, MAC and Contacts)

in the E-mail section i have a G-mail to Hotmail/live link.
    Yes, that works great, much like the integration on the phone itself. However, I would like to get rid of my google/gmail account, and if I do that I would lose the contact information that is linked because it is linked rather than merged/copied, right??

I also have been unable to find where to import a CSV into Live. When I go to the import function of managing contacts, it seems I can only link other accounts. It is SO frustrating that this isn't easier to do.

<nevermind> I finally figured out that I have to choose to import Outlook contacts in order to import a CSV. So intuitive... but I won't complain so long as I can figure it out. :-)

Global Posts
    1,633 Global Posts
    Just link your contacts to your Google account, and from now on add contacts to your Windows Live account.
    My apps are on JMTK Application Development
    [Guide] How to completely switch from Gmail to Outlook.com
    Nextel phones > Sanyo Katana Eclipse X > Palm Pre > HTC Arrive > HTC Trophy
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    I also have been unable to find where to import a CSV into Live. When I go to the import function of managing contacts, it seems I can only link other accounts. It is SO frustrating that this isn't easier to do.

<nevermind> I finally figured out that I have to choose to import Outlook contacts in order to import a CSV. So intuitive... but I won't complain so long as I can figure it out. :-)
    same link i gave you has a YOUTUBE link on how to do the CSV
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!