Windows 8 tablets will dominate.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 tablets have the potential to fully replace laptop and desktop computers.

I was initially turned off by Windows 8. I didn't like how it just seemed "tacked on" to Windows 7, and I thought it was stupid idea to use a mouse and keyboard with the metro interface.

I also have always hated tablets and never found the need for an iPad or any of Android's crap offerings.

Then I realized that with a Windows 8 tablet, my need for a desktop or laptop running Windows 7 is nil.

Think about it. Carry your tablet around with you, fully portable, use the metro interface when you're mobile.

When you get home, dock the tablet with a USB Mouse, keyboard, external monitor, and voila. You literally have a fully functional version of Windows 7 from your tablet. This is more or less a laptop/desktop.

No limitations on any application you can run, whatsoever. Just like a laptop. Combined with the portability far exceeding that of a laptop.

Think about commuting on a train going to work. Standing on the train, use the Win 8 tablet in metro mode. When you get to the office, simply dock it and bam you have a fully functional Win 7 computer with mouse, computer, keyboard et. al to run all your enterprise software.

Take the train back home, use metro again. And mess around with metro for entertainment purposes.

Honestly, when a high end tablet comes out with impressive specs and a fully featured docking station, I'm instantly sold, and my laptop and anything else associated with it will be sold as well.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what the "metro interface" is but I doubt a tablet could replace a laptop or desktop. Tablets are for the most part email/book/web browers that you can also play games on. Just don't see them being considered as serious computers but I could be wrong. :straight:

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
When the Windows 8 tablets do come out later this year, look for the versions with the Intel chipsets in them. Some are said to use an arm processor.

The Intel chipsets are supposed to allow use of desktop applications to run on them.

So imagine it this way:

You leave in the morning for work and couldn't finish a report on your desktop/laptop the night before. You open the report on your Windows 8 tablet on your commute. You open the app that you use on your home computer, then open the report on the tablet. You are greeted with an up to date version of the report with all of the additions and changes you made the previous night. This is because of wireless sync. You make more changes and finish before your stop.

You get to work and log in to your work computer answer the report is there as well with all of your changes from the night before as well as your commute edits. Cool, you are ready for your meeting.

You then leave your office for some reason and are away from your disk and tablet for some time and the meeting is getting closer. Then all of a sudden, a co-worker gives you a piece of data that you didn't include in the report......grrrrr. You take out your phone and add the changes to the updated report. Than you sprint the report and have it waiting for you In your office when you get back.

You get to your office, pick up the report and head to your meeting.

All of this because of the tight integration that Microsoft is striving for between their phones, tablets and computer OS's.

Just one of the reasons i am waiting for the windows 8 tablets this year.

Sent using Tapatalk

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. People increasingly want an iPad and nothing else.

Because Android tablets are garbage and overpriced for what they are. I hate Apple and I still tell people that if they want a tablet, then the iPad is the way to go. Win 8 will change all of that.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The mere possibility to logon to, and fully integrate into a active directory is utterly mindblowing... In our company we are purely on Microsoft Servers only allowing Win7 (domain approved) pc's on to the network. Of course we can connect our active sync able devices to the exchange server but not directly to the network. So having full blown Windows on a truly portable device will be huge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
You leave in the morning for work and couldn't finish a report on your desktop/laptop the night before. You open the report on your Windows 8 tablet on your commute. You open the app that you use on your home computer, then open the report on the tablet. You are greeted with an up to date version of the report with all of the additions and changes you made the previous night. This is because of wireless sync. You make more changes and finish before your stop.
I actually predict that the Transformer Prime form factor will be the most popular form factor for computing in the future. The only reason that the Transformer keyboard hasn't taken off itself is because intensive desktop programs don't run on Androids. So imagine it this way:

You're typing up your report. You're late for work. You detach the monitor from your keyboard and continue typing along your way.

No need for wifi. No need for the cloud. Just one device. That's been Microsoft's goal all along. I also predict all laptops/desktop monitors in the future will have touchscreens regardless of whether the keyboard is detachable. Windows 8 will be a major OS and consumers will demand computers that can take full advantage of its GUI.

Because Android tablets are garbage and overpriced for what they are. I hate Apple and I still tell people that if they want a tablet, then the iPad is the way to go. Win 8 will change all of that.
This. I don't understand why manufacturers such as Samsung feel like they have the right to price gouge us. How can their knock off brand tablets sell for the same price as an Apple?

Of course, when Windows 8 tablets hit, I don't expect anything to change. Maybe the tablets will get even more expensive due to OS licensing fees. (You won't really be paying for a "tablet" anymore, though. It will be a hybrid laptop-tablet.)

Last edited:

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 tablets have the potential to fully replace laptop and desktop computers.

I was initially turned off by Windows 8. I didn't like how it just seemed "tacked on" to Windows 7, and I thought it was stupid idea to use a mouse and keyboard with the metro interface.

I also have always hated tablets and never found the need for an iPad or any of Android's crap offerings.

Then I realized that with a Windows 8 tablet, my need for a desktop or laptop running Windows 7 is nil.

Think about it. Carry your tablet around with you, fully portable, use the metro interface when you're mobile.

When you get home, dock the tablet with a USB Mouse, keyboard, external monitor, and voila. You literally have a fully functional version of Windows 7 from your tablet. This is more or less a laptop/desktop.

No limitations on any application you can run, whatsoever. Just like a laptop. Combined with the portability far exceeding that of a laptop.

Think about commuting on a train going to work. Standing on the train, use the Win 8 tablet in metro mode. When you get to the office, simply dock it and bam you have a fully functional Win 7 computer with mouse, computer, keyboard et. al to run all your enterprise software.

Take the train back home, use metro again. And mess around with metro for entertainment purposes.

Honestly, when a high end tablet comes out with impressive specs and a fully featured docking station, I'm instantly sold, and my laptop and anything else associated with it will be sold as well.

Think about it like this.

1. 90% of users will be getting the WART version, which cant run x86 programs, tools, etc. This would require a complete rehash of the design to function with a tablet.

2. Quite a lot of People will not want to get the hang of it. They will wonder how to use it, get confused, and when they find out they cant boot back to Windows 7 if they buy the OS if they dont dual boot it, they will press they Start key, takes them back to the stripped down desktop, press the IE icon and take to Microsoft Answers and demand how to make it work like 7, Vista, XP did. This also reduces their chances of trying tablets, though, it will be much better on an x86 i5 than an ARM tab. If Microsoft are to succeed, they would have to continue to ship Windows 7 to keep power users/gamers/RTC people happy.

3. Microsoft need to advertise this as a TABLET OS and not a DESKTOP OS. A tablet OS is clunky OS on a KB & Mouse, as is a Desktop OS on a touch machine.

4. Power Users and Gamers need the power a desktop provides, not as tablet

5. The Tech world (Not so much in Mobiles) is VERY resistive of moderate change at the best of times.

Don't get me wrong, Windows 8 CAN be successful, But what appears is is that Desktop users are having a Tablet OS forced on them, WART users will be sent round the bend when they realise they have to reinstall/buy ALL of their software again, if there ever are any ARM versions made. It seems only the x86 users will be happy, and thats only going to be about 5-10% of the market.

I'm willing to bet that Windows 7 will be another Windows XP, only it will probably last even longer than that will. It will probably still be shipping a decade after it was made.

Like I say. If Microsoft avertises it as a tablet OS, And doesnt try and replace Windows 7 as a Desktop/Laptop OS, then people cant complain, because the older OS is available.
However, That will probably will never happen.

Stupidly, (As it found out with Vista) This will be an idea an Idea that Microsoft thought the public would love, but really didnt care for.

Just my two cents.

P.S. I actually explained this in detail in my thread 'Should Mobile and Desktop OSes Merge?' on Off Topic
But it seems no one read it because it was a long post :(

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, Windows 8 CAN be successful, But what appears is is that Desktop users are having a Tablet OS forced on them, WART users will be sent round the bend when they realise they have to reinstall/buy ALL of their software again, if there ever are any ARM versions made. It seems only the x86 users will be happy, and thats only going to be about 5-10% of the market.
You do realize that Windows 8 has a dual GUI interface, don't you?

There's a Metro WP7 like interface and there's the normal Windows 7 desktop interface. Users can seamlessly swap between interfaces. (Yeah, the implementation is clunky. There's plenty of desktop space PC users never use anyways. Windows 9, I guess...)

Even if Metro is a bust, I don't see a reason why 99% of users would care. You are not forced to use it. If you ever happen to want to run tablet/smartphone apps on your PC, you can feel free to. The same is true for tablets and vice versa. Also, Intel is selling smartphone chips now.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the "metro interface" is but I doubt a tablet could replace a laptop or desktop. Tablets are for the most part email/book/web browers that you can also play games on. Just don't see them being considered as serious computers but I could be wrong. :straight:

If you read my post, Windows 8 tablets will have a fully functional version of Windows 7 built in. If that's not a "serious computer", I don't know what is.

This video really opened my eyes to it.

Windows 8 Tablet Demo at CES 2012 - YouTube

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that Windows 8 has a dual GUI interface, don't you?

There's a Metro WP7 like interface and there's the normal Windows 7 desktop interface. Users can seamlessly swap between interfaces. (Yeah, the implementation is clunky. There's plenty of desktop space PC users never use anyways. Windows 9, I guess...)

Even if Metro is a bust, I don't see a reason why 99% of users would care. You are not forced to use it. If you ever happen to want to run tablet/smartphone apps on your PC, you can feel free to. The same is true for tablets and vice versa. Also, Intel is selling smartphone chips now.

Yes, I said STRIPPED DOWN DESKTOP. It is not a real desktop. There is no Start menu, and I bet there will be many Win32 programs which won't run on it anyway.

As I say, people hate change. And this will be reflected in Windows 8. Non Tech literate people probably wont even know how to get back to desktop. I bet it will be a flop like Vista (though it was much better than XP in my opinion)

As I say, THIS IS MY OPINION. I'm not directing the tech world, nor am I Steve Ballmer.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. People increasingly want an iPad and nothing else.

Yeah, because there are no other options. Windows 8 tablets will blow the iPad out of the water, as a product.

Last I checked, an iPad couldn't become a fully functional Windows 7 PC if you attach a keyboard and mouse to it. A Windows 8 tablet can. This alone is massive. And on top of it the Windows 8 tablet has a more fluid, quick and impressive portable interface than iOS with Metro.

Yeah, of course you can run Windows 7 on an iPad, but its clumsy and you need to do tinkering. With Win 8 tablets its built in.

Once again I direct you to this video.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It wont be fully functional. Nor will the ARM version run legacy x86 programs.

I actually hadn't read that, I saw some articles that indicated backward compatibility. Guess I'll have to do some more research then!

Edit: You're right about the ARM version, but manufacturers will be coming out with tablets based on intel chipsets (that will indeed run all legacy programs)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/could-this-be-hps-windows-8-business-slate/12568

Last edited:

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually hadn't read that, I saw some articles that indicated backward compatibility. Guess I'll have to do some more research then!

Well, some will. Like the Acer W500 will run legacy x86 due to it's Intel i5 processor.

The reason ARM wont run Win32 programs without a complete rework is that it's a completely different CPU architecture. x86 is the architecture your PC uses, no matter how old it is. Hence all Windows programs will have coded for it. This will be part of the big headaches of Windows 8.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Edit: You're right about the ARM version, but manufacturers will be coming out with tablets based on intel chipsets (that will indeed run all legacy programs)

Could this be HP's Windows 8 business slate? | ZDNet

Keep in mind that 99% of the x86 Windows 7 tablets were something crazy like ?900 (Except the Acer W500, which is very good value for money at ?400), and that ARM versions will be cheaper, And couple with the fact that the Windows name indicates it runs like the PC version (inc programs) and some people will be disapointed and hark on about it in Amazon customer reviews, possibly stopping sales, etc. Oh, and I noted that in the post below you, so you didnt have to post that link ;)

I still stand my ground on that Windows SD Desktop (Stripped Down Desktop) is not fully functionable, broken, and its quite likely it wont even be activated it ARM tabs.

Edit: Windows 8 is only a viable OS when it is x86. I Might buy an x86 Lenovo ThinkPad X230 (Or whatever it is fastforward a few months)

My other worry is that Im making a PC game with the cryengine, using 3ds Max intense programs etc. So I have a right to worry that this isnt a professional OS. Maybe Windows 8 Pro is more advanced with a better Metro desktop or something?

I use my phone for games and stuff unless its flash, as that doesnt clutter & slow down my workstation. Which, BTW, is getting very full up with HD Movies, Cryengine files, and 3ds Max files, PC Games (Dont own a console) pictures, music, torrents, and older OSes on a Virtual Machine. I use my laptop for that stuff while I am away on holiday and road trips and when I go to school.

So, I just dont see the point in a tablet for me. I dont need one, it would just be a waste of money for me. Obviously, other people might need one, but I dont.

Last edited:

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, because there are no other options. Windows 8 tablets will blow the iPad out of the water, as a product.

Last I checked, an iPad couldn't become a fully functional Windows 7 PC if you attach a keyboard and mouse to it. A Windows 8 tablet can. This alone is massive. And on top of it the Windows 8 tablet has a more fluid, quick and impressive portable interface than iOS with Metro.

Yeah, of course you can run Windows 7 on an iPad, but its clumsy and you need to do tinkering. With Win 8 tablets its built in.

Once again I direct you to this video.

I fail to see how Windows RT tablets will "blow iPad away" given the fact there are already 300K iPad apps, the "Resolutionary" screen. What will OEMs bring to the table regarding hardware? How many Metro apps will there be on launch day? How can they possibly compete with Apple on price and not lose money? Remember Apple has HUGE margins on iPads because they buy components(CPU, memory, flash storage and screens) in gigantic bulk quantities. This is something the other OEMs can't do except possibly Samsung.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb