Windows Phone keeps surprising me

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 900 for a few weeks (first windows phone). I've had two moments when I was startled by my speaking phone.

I looked up directions to the nearest Trader Joes but zoomed out to choose a different route since the interstate was a parking lot. I pulled over close to my destination to check the map again and the phone spoke when I opened the map "you have taken a different direction"... (ok, I confess dear Lumia I don't follow directions well). The phone proceeded to ask me if I wanted new directions.

Today I had the phone paired with my car blue tooth and was making calls. When I tried to call one individual by saying "call Jane Doe mobile" I was startled to hear.... "you have a message from Jane Doe". The phone proceeded to ask it I wanted to save or listen to the message and I continued through the prompts to listen, reply, and send a response. I never touched the phone.

I guess I missed something. I didn't know Windows Phone did all that. I knew it had voice commands but this is way beyond voice commands.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 900 for a few weeks (first windows phone). I've had two moments when I was startled by my speaking phone.

I looked up directions to the nearest Trader Joes but zoomed out to choose a different route since the interstate was a parking lot. I pulled over close to my destination to check the map again and the phone spoke when I opened the map "you have taken a different direction"... (ok, I confess dear Lumia I don't follow directions well). The phone proceeded to ask me if I wanted new directions.

Today I had the phone paired with my car blue tooth and was making calls. When I tried to call one individual by saying "call Jane Doe mobile" I was startled to hear.... "you have a message from Jane Doe". The phone proceeded to ask it I wanted to save or listen to the message and I continued through the prompts to listen, reply, and send a response. I never touched the phone.

I guess I missed something. I didn't know Windows Phone did all that. I knew it had voice commands but this is way beyond voice commands.

I have yet to have my Lumia 900 speak to me, how do I enable this?

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want this feature on and its turned off, go to Settings, then Speech and at the bottom set if you want it on all the time or just Bluetooth or whatever. That's only for Text messages

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want this feature on and its turned off, go to Settings, then Speech and at the bottom set if you want it on all the time or just Bluetooth or whatever. That's only for Text messages

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

It also works for calls. I renamed my wife contact name to My Boss at Home, so when she calls it tells me My Boss at Home is calling

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could get mine to do that. When mine is tethered to my car it doesn't read messages or anything. Any voice based things I have to do require me to tap away at my phone to confirm and read and everything so its anything but hand free. I wish I could figure out how to get it to work properly.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could get mine to do that. When mine is tethered to my car it doesn't read messages or anything. Any voice based things I have to do require me to tap away at my phone to confirm and read and everything so its anything but hand free. I wish I could figure out how to get it to work properly.

If you have a wp7 phone you have this feature. Go to settings then "speech". Make sure that "Enable speech recongnition over the network" is checked then go down the screen and make sure "Play audio confirmations" is on. Just under under that is "Read aloud incoming text messages"...just select the option you want.

It works in my car when I have my phone connected to it via bluetooth.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If you have a wp7 phone you have this feature. Go to settings then "speech". Make sure that "Enable speech recongnition over the network" is checked then go down the screen and make sure "Play audio confirmations" is on. Just under under that is "Read aloud incoming text messages"...just select the option you want.

It works in my car when I have my phone connected to it via bluetooth.

Thanks for the instructions, unfortunately I had it enabled but it just doesn't read me text messages when I get them. I suspect it has something to do with my cars bluetooth system and the way it works as it has its own voice command prompting system and instructions and it downloads the phonebook to the car to register simple voice commands. I will need to tinker with it more but I think I even put it on "Do it always" and it still wouldn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire