Some issues with Windows Phone 7

ErikWithNoC

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Lumia 900 and I'm going to just talk about some of the issues I find with WP7 currently. I'm not new to WP either, I owned a Samsung Focus when it first came out (even a Zune HD which was arguably a test product for the metro UI) and have now been using a Nokia Lumia 900 for a couple of weeks (upgraded from an iPhone 4). So, here we go:

1. People often complain/knock WP for not having many apps. I would like to say that WP has plenty of applications in the market. 80,000 apps is more then anyone would need (on paper), but that's not the problem. The quality of most apps in the Marketplace are awful. I check the new apps list of the Marketplace periodically throughout the day and I am so disappointed with what I see there. Metro is a really gorgeous UI, but developers seem to be using it as a way for creating applications in an easy, but ugly way. So many apps just stick to the black background with white text on it, or some other very plain combination. This is disappointing because the Metro UI can be very beautiful if used correctly (such as IMDb, Flixster, even Facebook has a decent looking app). The other issue with this is the tile icons themselves. It honestly doesn't even seem like developers care when I see how most of the new applications tiles completely clash with the UI precedent of Windows Phone 7. I've even some tiles using the app icon from iOS apps (most likely stolen).

2. Xbox Live games make it very hard for indie game developers to make money in the Marketplace. Xbox Live games are pretty much "the" games to go to on WP. They all have a uniform look (Xbox Live banner), achievements, and customers assume they will be good because they say "Xbox Live" on them. You can see just what this has done to the gaming category of the Marketplace. The first 19 top games in the Marketplace are Xbox Live games with Line Birds being the 20th spot that isn't an Xbox Live title. Basically, the whole top game list is filled with Xbox Live titles and those titles "promise" quality because they are published by Microsoft. Taptitude would not see nearly as much profit if it was offered as a purchasable game (for like $1.99 or something) and this is because when people are looking to buy a game they ask "why would I buy this one, when the Xbox Live game costs just as much?" or something along those lines. I personally feel that this structure makes it hard for Indie developers to get recognized with their games unless they manage to get Microsoft to publish it with Xbox Live (not really sure what the process is like for this).

3. Screen resolution. Microsoft is trying to approach multiple devices without fragmentation and that's a good idea, but this aspect is pretty unjustifiable. WP runs really well on single core processors (has to do with the way WP only loads content you can see), but no matter how smooth they make Windows Phone, the screen resolution is still WVGA. Microsoft shouldn't be taking its time with this and waiting for Windows Phone 8 to finally announce HD screens. The iPhone 4 had a high pixel density screen 2 years ago, Android devices were coming out with them last year; now its standard for every new Android device. After using the browser on my Nokia Lumia 900, I just can't help but be disappointed. I tried to tell myself it wouldn't be noticeable, but text is really rough and I think this is a combination of the text rendering in IE as well as the low resolution. I recently used an HTC One X at AT&T and it is going to be what I trade my Lumia in for. I do lots of internet browsing on my phone and after having seen the One X's screen there is literally no competition. Microsoft should have just allowed for higher resolution screens with Mango so manufacturers could choose to put them into the devices if they wanted to.

4. Multitasking is arguably the biggest joke of a feature on WP7. I'm not really sure what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to put this in Mango. There are just so many things wrong with its implementation its laughable. Why would multiple setting pages take up space in the multitasking view? Why would multiple IE tabs show up there? Why does the Start screen show up there? Why is there no way for me to close the apps from the multitasking view? I have to literally open the multitasking interface, select the app I want to close, and then repeatedly hit the back button to close it. This is ridiculously un-intuitive and makes no sense. Before you say "but you don't need to close them", you do. People would try to make this same argument with iOS multitasking. For every application in the background, regardless of how Microsoft does it, it is stored in memory (RAM). Try opening multiple tabs or some game and then try to send someone a text. When I do this the keyboard lags and its not just a freak anomaly, this happens every time I have stuff "open" in the background requiring me to go close them. Not to mention applications seem to reset when you open them from the app list or start screen if they're already in the background (this makes no sense).

5. Notifications need an overhaul. Again, how did Microsoft not see this as something that could be a problem? Even iOS used notification badges for applications that had un-addressed notifications before it had the Notification Center drop down. I don't really need to go into this one, everyone should agree that notifications need some work on WP.

6. No universal search (not a super big deal, but it should really be in WP by now)

So those are some of the things I find to be problems with Windows Phone in its current iteration. Now don't think I hate Windows Phone. I have tried, twice, to use it as my daily device and it just doesn't work out. After the "shine" of the UI wares off from using it for a couple days, it gets quite boring. With 3rd party applications clearly not representing how good Metro can look and the other issues I talked about, I find it hard to recommend this phone to anybody that thinks they are going to use a lot of apps. If someone told me they were a gamer I would recommend either the iPhone 4S or latest Android device because they have the hardware to run some amazing games (check out the recently released "Dark Meadows" for Android devices or Infinity Blade II for iOS). Microsoft won't allow enough system access for developers like Epic to use the Unreal Engine and thus disbarring Windows Phone from some amazing games. Windows Phone looks very cool and I really do like the look of it, but it needs more time to mature and it should have already done so by this point.

I keep hoping that Windows Phone 8 will be when Microsoft addresses all these issues, but until it does I won't be able to stick with Windows Phone when the competitors are so much better. I will start using the HTC One X when it comes out, but will gladly upgrade at the end of this year if the new Windows Phone devices are as good as I think they will be. I'd like to see what you guys think about my complaints and if you agree with any of them.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post!

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your Android.

sNhWx.gif

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That was not the point of what I wrote. I want to see what other people think. I feel that what I listed was all valid and what you wrote contributed absolutely nothing to the topic of the thread.

There tons of threads just like these which address many of these issues.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
All what you've written is true but you have to know that, it's all because of this that we have something we call UPDATES. No OS is IDEAL and NO OS can come to customers with all great features and perfect out of the box. WP OS is new and more updates will be coming to solve all the issues you've listed. Just take your time and wait. Even Apple and Android OS are not perfect although one might say they have all the apps one might need. WP is new with some major lacks I agree but just wait and see...wait for Apollo and maybe you will come back to delete this thread :)

ErikWithNoC

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
All what you've written is true but you have to know that, it's all because of this that we have something we call UPDATES. No OS is IDEAL and NO OS can come to customers with all great features and perfect out of the box. WP OS is new and more updates will be coming to solve all the issues you've listed. Just take your time and wait. Even Apple and Android OS are not perfect although one might say they have all the apps one might need. WP is new with some major lacks I agree but just wait and see...wait for Apollo and maybe you will come back to delete this thread :)

I understand updates, but what I don't understand is that Windows Phone is nearly two years old (come October) and its still missing basic stuff like universal search. The Xbox Live issue is not an update thing, that's something I would like to hear people's feedback on more then the other stuff because it might just be something I see as a problem when it really isn't =/

I'm hoping Apollo will change things. I like the Metro UI a lot, but WP is just not competitive as of now.

It's like someone made a template for threads like these. Why can't they all type this rhetoric in the same posting?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to force you to read this...To be honest, I haven't read the other complaint threads here nor have I seen someone talk about the Xbox Live thing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, what keeps you using Windows Phone (clarification: what is it that you like about Windows Phone that keeps you using it over other phones)? I've tried twice and although I like it, I don't see it being up to par yet.

PS: This is the OS Discussion form and this is pretty much as true to that as it can get

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I apologize, ErikWithNoC. I think you just came at a bad time. There are just so many similar threads and the topic has been thoroughly discussed over and over.

While I agree with most of your sentiments, I feel that most of us here are tired of threads like this because, like I've said, the topic has been discussed many times and since we are not Microsoft, we can't control how the OS turns out. (I've seen a few threads where users complain about the OS or features as if we can somehow magically fix their problem).

I think some of us are just tired of having this discussion, because discussing it here probably won't make Windows Phone better (unless MS watches this forum). Instead, we can make suggestions here Feature Suggestions: Hot (12263 ideas) and hope that Microsoft listens.

ErikWithNoC

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I apologize, ErikWithNoC. I think you just came at a bad time. There are just so many similar threads and the topic has been thoroughly discussed over and over.

While I agree with most of your sentiments, I feel that most of us here are tired of threads like this because, like I've said, the topic has been discussed many times and since we are not Microsoft, we can't control how the OS turns out. (I've seen a few threads where users complain about the OS or features as if we can somehow magically fix their problem).

I think some of us are just tired of having this discussion, because discussing it here probably won't make Windows Phone better (unless MS watches this forum). Instead, we can make suggestions here Feature Suggestions: Hot (12263 ideas) and hope that Microsoft listens.

Well I didn't see it stickied nor did I see a thread on the first list of threads about issues with the OS, so I don't know, I guess I'm missing something. Your right though, know when here works for Microsoft so its not like this goes out to anyone capable of fixing anything I listed =/

My bad guys

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It's like someone made a template for threads like these. Why can't they all type this rhetoric in the same posting?

Agreed, maybe we can get a mod to create a "complain about Windows Phone here" folder to take these types of threads away from the main forums.

I'm all for discussion and differing opinions, but this stuff has been done to death a thousand times over and it's getting seriously tiresome.

I can't imagine that it's very motivational for new users/members to come to a popular Windows Phone forum and the first 5 threads on every sub forum are complaints about everything. Sure, if you have an issue with something, search for a relevant thread and post in there, because there is literally no way that it hasn't been covered already.

Admittedly it's not like XDA or Android Central is much better but seriously, as a community shouldn't we be pulling together to promote the platform? Windows Phone apparently has the highest customer satisfaction of any mobile OS, but the number of complaint threads on here would make you think Steve Ballmer was personally ****ting in peoples cornflakes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what keeps you using Windows Phone?

Personally? I like the UI, I like how it behaves and I like how it runs. I like the hardware (Lumia 800) and I like the apps that I use. There is nothing that I want to do on the phone that I cannot do, there is nothing that I want to use it for that I cannot.

It's fine if you think that I'm deluding myself, but in all honesty and seriousness Windows Phone for me is a perfect fit for what I want a phone to do.

As for the alternatives? Personally, I loathe the navigation on iOS. In fact I basically dislike everything about the UI. No amount of apps will ever make up for this. I also don't like how every update makes the device run slower to try and force you to buy the latest hardware.

Android? I don't like Google very much, I really don't like Android hardware, and I really hate the dick measuring spec contest that is owning an Android phone. I also don't like the UI, and I don't like how the OS runs, I don't like that if you want decent performance or even the latest update for you phone you have to get it/do it yourself.

tl:dr, everything I dislike about the alternatives is what I love about Windows Phone. If I was faced with the possibility of there being no more windows phones I would honestly get a ?30 feature phone because I could never go back to iOS/Android.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to force you to read this.... I guess what I'm trying to say is, what keeps you using Windows Phone (clarification: what is it that you like about Windows Phone that keeps you using it over other phones)? I've tried twice and although I like it, I don't see it being up to par yet.
Is has nothing to do with Apple and it has nothing to do with Google. That's a lot of reason for me. When you find the "perfect" please get back to me. It does what I want/need it to do without being tied to two ecosystems I want nothing to do with.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to force you to read this...To be honest, I haven't read the other complaint threads here nor have I seen someone talk about the Xbox Live thing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, what keeps you using Windows Phone (clarification: what is it that you like about Windows Phone that keeps you using it over other phones)? I've tried twice and although I like it, I don't see it being up to par yet.

PS: This is the OS Discussion form and this is pretty much as true to that as it can get

I've used iOS, and while I'd be okay with using it, I suppose I just got bored of it. Plus, I also didn't like how the home screen is just full of apps. Sometimes, full of apps I didn't use very often, but still used occasionally so I couldn't delete them. Furthermore, if you had a lot of apps, you'd have a lot of home screen pages. For some reason I just didn't like that. And I didn't like folders very much either. For some reason I'd always forget which folder I put an app in, or I'd constantly be recategorizing apps because one folder had only two apps and another was full. I don't know, I must be OCD or something but iOS just didn't work for me as well as I wanted it to.

Android didn't really work for me either. It just wasn't a good out of the box experience for me. I did end up flashing a custom ROM (I pretty much had to because the lag was terrible) but the only custom ROM I liked was CM7... in beta. So every couple of nights I'd be flashing the latest version hoping it'd fix this or that or that it'd give me slightly better battery life than the previous version. And you know what? It reminded me an awful lot of Windows Mobile. I'd always be trying different ROMs, customizing this and that, but no matter what, no matter how much time I spent, I couldn't never get my phone to feel... perfect. It just felt like I was wasting time, trying to achieve the unachievable, obtain the unobtainable. (Same thing with jailbreaking on iPhone, I gave up on that too).

So what was left? Windows Phone.

Compared to iOS I just have one home screen on Windows Phone, and I'll just pin whatever I use most. Everything else is in the list to the right. And it isn't hard to find apps either, since it's alphabetized and I can search or jump to a certain letter. I enjoy this interface. Unlike Android, everything is clean, simple, and it works right out of the box. It's easy to use. No bloaty custom interfaces. No built-in carrier bloatware. Anything installed by the carrier can be uninstalled. Furthermore, no lag! Yes, I know that because of the single core processor some apps will take a little longer to load, but the OS itself doesn't lag or stutter like I would see on other OSes.

So simply put, Windows Phone is what iOS and Android isn't. It's the phone for me. It's a phone I want.

This, by the way, is why I hate discussions about which OS is best. There is none. What works for one person may not work for someone else.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Lumia 900 and I'm going to just talk about some of the issues I find with WP7 currently. I'm not new to WP either, I owned a Samsung Focus when it first came out (even a Zune HD which was arguably a test product for the metro UI) and have now been using a Nokia Lumia 900 for a couple of weeks (upgraded from an iPhone 4). So, here we go:

1. People often complain/knock WP for not having many apps. I would like to say that WP has plenty of applications in the market. 80,000 apps is more then anyone would need (on paper), but that's not the problem. The quality of most apps in the Marketplace are awful. I check the new apps list of the Marketplace periodically throughout the day and I am so disappointed with what I see there. Metro is a really gorgeous UI, but developers seem to be using it as a way for creating applications in an easy, but ugly way. So many apps just stick to the black background with white text on it, or some other very plain combination. This is disappointing because the Metro UI can be very beautiful if used correctly (such as IMDb, Flixster, even Facebook has a decent looking app). The other issue with this is the tile icons themselves. It honestly doesn't even seem like developers care when I see how most of the new applications tiles completely clash with the UI precedent of Windows Phone 7. I've even some tiles using the app icon from iOS apps (most likely stolen).

2. Xbox Live games make it very hard for indie game developers to make money in the Marketplace. Xbox Live games are pretty much "the" games to go to on WP. They all have a uniform look (Xbox Live banner), achievements, and customers assume they will be good because they say "Xbox Live" on them. You can see just what this has done to the gaming category of the Marketplace. The first 19 top games in the Marketplace are Xbox Live games with Line Birds being the 20th spot that isn't an Xbox Live title. Basically, the whole top game list is filled with Xbox Live titles and those titles "promise" quality because they are published by Microsoft. Taptitude would not see nearly as much profit if it was offered as a purchasable game (for like $1.99 or something) and this is because when people are looking to buy a game they ask "why would I buy this one, when the Xbox Live game costs just as much?" or something along those lines. I personally feel that this structure makes it hard for Indie developers to get recognized with their games unless they manage to get Microsoft to publish it with Xbox Live (not really sure what the process is like for this).

3. Screen resolution. Microsoft is trying to approach multiple devices without fragmentation and that's a good idea, but this aspect is pretty unjustifiable. WP runs really well on single core processors (has to do with the way WP only loads content you can see), but no matter how smooth they make Windows Phone, the screen resolution is still WVGA. Microsoft shouldn't be taking its time with this and waiting for Windows Phone 8 to finally announce HD screens. The iPhone 4 had a high pixel density screen 2 years ago, Android devices were coming out with them last year; now its standard for every new Android device. After using the browser on my Nokia Lumia 900, I just can't help but be disappointed. I tried to tell myself it wouldn't be noticeable, but text is really rough and I think this is a combination of the text rendering in IE as well as the low resolution. I recently used an HTC One X at AT&T and it is going to be what I trade my Lumia in for. I do lots of internet browsing on my phone and after having seen the One X's screen there is literally no competition. Microsoft should have just allowed for higher resolution screens with Mango so manufacturers could choose to put them into the devices if they wanted to.

4. Multitasking is arguably the biggest joke of a feature on WP7. I'm not really sure what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to put this in Mango. There are just so many things wrong with its implementation its laughable. Why would multiple setting pages take up space in the multitasking view? Why would multiple IE tabs show up there? Why does the Start screen show up there? Why is there no way for me to close the apps from the multitasking view? I have to literally open the multitasking interface, select the app I want to close, and then repeatedly hit the back button to close it. This is ridiculously un-intuitive and makes no sense. Before you say "but you don't need to close them", you do. People would try to make this same argument with iOS multitasking. For every application in the background, regardless of how Microsoft does it, it is stored in memory (RAM). Try opening multiple tabs or some game and then try to send someone a text. When I do this the keyboard lags and its not just a freak anomaly, this happens every time I have stuff "open" in the background requiring me to go close them. Not to mention applications seem to reset when you open them from the app list or start screen if they're already in the background (this makes no sense).

5. Notifications need an overhaul. Again, how did Microsoft not see this as something that could be a problem? Even iOS used notification badges for applications that had un-addressed notifications before it had the Notification Center drop down. I don't really need to go into this one, everyone should agree that notifications need some work on WP.

6. No universal search (not a super big deal, but it should really be in WP by now)

So those are some of the things I find to be problems with Windows Phone in its current iteration. Now don't think I hate Windows Phone. I have tried, twice, to use it as my daily device and it just doesn't work out. After the "shine" of the UI wares off from using it for a couple days, it gets quite boring. With 3rd party applications clearly not representing how good Metro can look and the other issues I talked about, I find it hard to recommend this phone to anybody that thinks they are going to use a lot of apps. If someone told me they were a gamer I would recommend either the iPhone 4S or latest Android device because they have the hardware to run some amazing games (check out the recently released "Dark Meadows" for Android devices or Infinity Blade II for iOS). Microsoft won't allow enough system access for developers like Epic to use the Unreal Engine and thus disbarring Windows Phone from some amazing games. Windows Phone looks very cool and I really do like the look of it, but it needs more time to mature and it should have already done so by this point.

I keep hoping that Windows Phone 8 will be when Microsoft addresses all these issues, but until it does I won't be able to stick with Windows Phone when the competitors are so much better. I will start using the HTC One X when it comes out, but will gladly upgrade at the end of this year if the new Windows Phone devices are as good as I think they will be. I'd like to see what you guys think about my complaints and if you agree with any of them.

1) Developing quality apps takes time. Developers are hard at work trying to make a quality product. Wouldn't you time be better spent tweaking apps by contacting developers and telling them what you think. Personally I love the quality of the apps I find and use in the WP Marketplace. The ones I don't like I don't use. You want to see a tun of crap apps check the Android Market.

2) Where do you think these XBOX Live games come from? Microsoft doesn't invent the majority of these games. The Live tag is added when the individual developer decides to add live to their game. Games going live is fully the individual developers decision.

3) The current screen resolution is fine for me. Would higher resolution be nice to have sure it would. We will get this with Apollo. Would I prefer higher resolution if it meant my device would perform poorly? NO

4) Using the back arrow key to remove apps from the quick resume apps list does nothing to help with performance or to save battery. Removing pictures from your picture gallery would do just as much to help with these issues. Only apps that use background agents run in the background. You have to turn these off in the settings menu.

5) I have no desire to have to drag open a notifications center and clear a bunch of useless notifications that I already know are there. On my Android devices I found this to be the biggest headache of all. I hear the text notification sound why should I have to clear it from a list too? Id you don't want to hear others opinions then don't bring it up.

6) We really need this I am hoping to see it in Tango but I think we will be waiting for Apollo

Windows Phone has some amazing games. I don't agree that WP games are way behind. Have you tried Splinter cell and Armed? On many of your topics we will have to disagree. Thats a good thing that is how we can help Microsoft to grow there product. I just hope that in its attempt to satisfy your needs Microsoft doesn't overlook mine.

Enjoy your Android and remember to not customize anything it will kill your performance. Good luck finding a good web browser.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That was not the point of what I wrote. I want to see what other people think. I feel that what I listed was all valid and what you wrote contributed absolutely nothing to the topic of the thread.

Sorry, everything you said has been said 1000 times before. We must get at least 3 threads like this a day. You're beating a dead horse.

Try using search and maybe find one of the many other threads like this already going on and then you may find some answers or at least some other people who will be happy to commiserate with you.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, maybe we can get a mod to create a "complain about Windows Phone here" folder to take these types of threads away from the main forums.

That is a stellar idea. I love it!

Can we have a complaints sub-forum?

Lets keep the good content that's actually worth reading separate from the griping and moaning and hourly Apollo threads.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Here we go again with another disgusting thread.

So let me get this straight, you're leaving because of screen resolution? 480x800 does not look terrible, I see no pixilation on the titans or on my HD7 and have no problems whatsoever reading anything. Enjoy the high data usage that's going to come with looking at things that utilize the unnecessary high resolution on a phone.
multitasking works great if it's implemented right by the devs, you possibly have been using the wrong apps. Multiple tabs show up because it would be easier to access them that way rather than going to the tabs menu. I experience no lag as a result of apps being frozen in the background,hence no reason to close them.

this is what the live tiles are for.
gimmick

Sorry that you had to become a victim of gimmicks, now enjoy the malware,force closes,errors and loads of problems that are associated with android.

croceamors

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely with the last posts from alpinestars1Z and Dave Blake.

What I would add is that for my taste iOS is just a horrible jungle of icons. When I first got my Windows Phone for the first time I knew exactly what and where to do, but when I get iPhone into my hands I first look at those icons trying to find out what to do. OK. I agree that when you use iPhone more often that doesn’t happen so often.

The next thing I hate about Apple is their development environment. This Apple OS is simply in the dark ages comparing to what Microsoft offers with their Visual Studio and C#. I guess even Borland Turbo C from 1987 was way better than this Objective C from Apple.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Really shouldn't be this hard to buy the device you want in the first place. WP simply doesn't support certain features, and if you buy it you either accept it the way it is, reject it and buy something else or simply wait till it meets your needs. Pretty simple, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3