Anybody try this? Get Edge, 3g, 4g toggle on WP7

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Who wants to be the test monkey?

"Nokia Lumia 900 gets EDGE, 3G, 4G toggle
By Edwin Kee on 04/30/2012 00:51 PDT

So you are still trying your best to master the Nokia Lumia 900, hoping to eke out maximum performance from this puppy? Well, it seems that the good people over at Mobility Digest have uncovered a tweak for your Nokia Lumia 900 that will enable you to select between EDGE, 3G, or 4G data connectivity. This particular feature will not brick your handset in any way due to an installation or loading process, simply because it is already available on the Nokia Lumia 900, but has remained as stealthy as a Hydralisk on the battlefield. As with most Nokia handsets, there are different codes which allows you to launch diagnostic apps and utilities, and the Nokia Lumia 900 is no different. If you want to give it a go, type in ##3282# and open the Data Field Test utility. The moment the Data Field Test utility appears, press the 3 at the bottom of the screen so that you can tap and open up a Settings screen.

When in Settings, change the ?Network type? from 2G or 3G only to Automatic. Tap back in order to return to the previous screen, pick the last option that has been labeled as ?Toggle ENS (REBOOT)?. Click ?Start? and wait for a few seconds, followed by clicking on ?Stop.? The Nokia Lumia 900 will reboot at this point in time, so do not worry. Once the reboot is over, return to Settings and then Cellular, where you can then select your highest connection speed to Edge, 3G, or 4G. Needless to say, sticking to EDGE will definitely prolong the battery life on your Lumia 900 if you are not into data-intensive apps."

Nokia Lumia 900 gets EDGE, 3G, 4G toggle | Ubergizmo

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah that sounds about right .

you can already do this on Blackberry devices ( normally used when roaming to toggle between CDMA/GSM .

like they said the function is built in, you just need to access it. so it wont brick ur phone.

gona be adding this code to the my Diagnostic menu Thread. thanks for the share.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I also tried it and it worked. I did not have to press start where it says to near the end, however. In fact, that option wasn't enabled. I waited for the start button to become enabled for a few seconds, but it didn't, so I just pressed stop. Everything worked fine. Now I've selected 3g, since LTE isn't available here yet, and I ran the bandwidth app and got over 7Mb down, so I'd say I'm getting HSPA+ speeds. My phone does show 4G as the instruction article says it will anyway, but I just wanted to be sure.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I also tried it and it worked. I did not have to press start where it says to near the end, however. In fact, that option wasn't enabled. I waited for the start button to become enabled for a few seconds, but it didn't, so I just pressed stop. Everything worked fine. Now I've selected 3g, since LTE isn't available here yet, and I ran the bandwidth app and got over 7Mb down, so I'd say I'm getting HSPA+ speeds. My phone does show 4G as the instruction article says it will anyway, but I just wanted to be sure.

4G = HSPA+

If you are in an LTE area it will say LTE.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. That's my article on MD. Couldn't remember if you had to press Start or not so I put the I instruction in just in case.

When you set to 3G, 4G appears on my phone (I am in an LTE area). When I tried a speed test, I got results that appeared much higher than I ever got over 3G on my Surround, but lower than my LTE speeds. So I am guessing some kind of HSPA+ band. Around 7Mbps Down / 1.2 Mbps Up.

When I switch back to 4G on the menu, lost my signal for a few seconds (happens every time you change the radio setting) and then LTE reappeared. Got something like 12Mbps Down / 3.5 Mbps Up when I tried this in front of my house on Friday night.

Set at Edge, I could not get a speedtest reading, but when I opened IE, speed seemed reasonable.

I am nearing the end of a week of testing but I have sort of concluded that WoFi is much more efficient than using LTE regardless of your data plan. LTE uses no additional power while asleep, but while browsing, or reading/posting in Board Express WiFi burns 12-13% per hour with screen on using my L900. While LTE burns 19-20% per hour screen on time.

Next I will try Edge/WiFi, which I expect will yield Te best results. Saving LTE for those days I am awa from WiFi, which I have 90% of my day at home and work.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. That's my article on MD. Couldn't remember if you had to press Start or not so I put the I instruction in just in case.

When you set to 3G, 4G appears on my phone (I am in an LTE area). When I tried a speed test, I got results that appeared much higher than I ever got over 3G on my Surround, but lower than my LTE speeds. So I am guessing some kind of HSPA+ band. Around 7Mbps Down / 1.2 Mbps Up.

When I switch back to 4G on the menu, lost my signal for a few seconds (happens every time you change the radio setting) and then LTE reappeared. Got something like 12Mbps Down / 3.5 Mbps Up when I tried this in front of my house on Friday night.

Set at Edge, I could not get a speedtest reading, but when I opened IE, speed seemed reasonable.

I am nearing the end of a week of testing but I have sort of concluded that WoFi is much more efficient than using LTE regardless of your data plan. LTE uses no additional power while asleep, but while browsing, or reading/posting in Board Express WiFi burns 12-13% per hour with screen on using my L900. While LTE burns 19-20% per hour screen on time.

Next I will try Edge/WiFi, which I expect will yield Te best results. Saving LTE for those days I am awa from WiFi, which I have 90% of my day at home and work.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Wow awesome! Just want to follow up, have it set to EDGE at work today. It's holding the 3-4 bars solid where it normally drops 3G constantly. Battery life is only down 10% since I got up this morning!!! This is so great.

About the 4G and 3G display I think this is what is happening.

In the settings 3G = 3G AND "4G" HSPA+ and 4G = LTE. I am going to guess is what Nokia means. But the network indicator is from the network; AT&T. So even if you have it set to 3G; AT&T calls HSPA+ "4G" so the 4G network icon is displayed.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think he means as far as the phone is concerned. If it shows a 4G in the status indicator, it is HSPA+. if you were on LTE, it would show LTE, not 4G.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This toggle definitely works strangely (though I speak from experience with the Samsung network apps). My Focus S always shows 4G even though I can only get 3G on prepaid plus I have it forced to connect to 3G and get 3G speeds.

It's AT&T marketing ;)

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
actually HSPA+ = 3G

LTE = 4G

people claiming that HSPA+ = 4G is 100% marketing scam.

4 = forth G = Generation ... HSPA on on the 3rd generation Radio witch is like a upgrade of GSM.

:p

I know, here's what I'm saying.

In settings as far as the toggle is concerned.

E = EDGE
3G = HSDPA, HSPA+
4G= LTE

On the status bar displayed at the top of the screen.

E = EDGE
4G = HSPA+
LTE = LTE

I've yet to see my Lumia display the "3G" icon in the status bar.

So even if you have the settings to max at 3G the status bar will still show 4G as AT&T is trying to trick you with their bs marketing; but yes it is really 3G.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The ITU recently updated their definition of 4G to include HSPA+,LTE and WiMax. Before this redefinition all of those were still considered 3G.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of the differences in 3G, 4G, LTE, etc. I was just pointing out for future viewers of the thread that when I selected 3G from the celular settings menu, I was indeed getting HSPA+ ("4G") data speeds, so that they did not have to run the bandwidth app themselves. I know people would have wanted to know, even though the linked article did state this.

M

mkr10001

I used to have this on my lumia 800 but now I don't. This is my fourth lumia 800 and I'm sure my 2nd and third had it. 2nd for sure..Can't make this work on my 800 though. field test just sits there with a loading message

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I used to have this on my lumia 800 but now I don't. This is my fourth lumia 800 and I'm sure my 2nd and third had it. 2nd for sure..Can't make this work on my 800 though. field test just sits there with a loading message
Did anyone ever do a structured battery drain test with the settings changed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss