What brought you to Windows Phone?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
In my case, it just looked different from anything else I'd seen. I owned an iPhone prior to it, and wanted to try something new. Android, at the time, seemed to be just an iOS imitation, and so I decided to give WP a shot.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and the Bionic pissed me off. Curiosity got me to try the original Titan for a penny. In the week that I had it, it was like cheating on a girlfriend. That Bionic saw no action that week. The AT&T network was a deal breaker that go round.

Heard about the Titan II coming out with LTE and and we have LTE here in Orlando. I was jaded by having LTE with VZW, so that was the only thing holding me back. Phones were released. Wanted the T2, but the price wasn't right and I only wanted the larger screen and camera. Well, Amazon had the Lumia for $49.99. Then the announcement about the $100 credit came. That sealed the deal for me. Kept the Bionic for a week alongside this phone and managed:) to get all of the apps I really wanted (except Hulu+ and a way to print from the device) so I'm good. Pretty glad I went with this as the savings here was a huge deal and this Lumia rocks.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Back in 2010, I had an Android phone (HTC Hero) for a few months, but it broke and I replaced it with a very cheap Nokia 5530.

I was looking to get a new Android phone, since Symbian OS was terrible, but when Windows Phone was announced, I changed my mind immediately. Looking at Windows Phone and Android side by side, I saw what Android truly is: an iOS clone. Windows Phone was simply completely different, beautiful, faster and it just clicked with me.

Still, I held on to the 5530 for almost a year, waiting for the prices to lower, and by the end of summer 2011, I reached my breaking point, I had to get rid of the 5530.

I still looked into buying an Android phone since they were cheaper, and had my mind set on a Huawei Ideos X5, which was a very good phone for the price. But then I saw a brand new Optimus 7 at eBay for about the same price, and it was a no-brainer. Got Mango a little while after, been very happy ever since. Best purchase I made in years.

Still, looking back, it's true that I had to wait for the prices to come down, and if I hadn't found this Optimus 7 at such a great price, I would probably have joined the Android club. Windows Phone really needs lower priced phones, glad Nokia is already on it with the Lumia 610.

moe1up

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The honest truth....my friend just got out jail and needed a phone, but couldn't pay a deposit. So I added a line for him, I took the Lumia 900 and gave him my old BlackBerry 9900. :)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Was rocking a feature phone until 2011 when I got my windows phone. Prior to that I was waiting out the market to see where Apple and Google would take their mobile OSes. When MS said they were in the game again and started demoing bits of WP around '09-'10 I just felt that it worked perfect for me and my lifestyle.

They brought up relevant points and it was a far departure from a grid of icons that I always found awful and cluttered to look at ever since the Palm OS devices. More importantly, I knew myself and what I wanted and they were looking to deliver that: simple and functional information without having to mess around my phone all the time, everywhere because of some co-dependency to the Internet (no offense to those out there :p ).

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
A whole list of things, but there were 4 in particular

1. The beauty and efficiency of Metro.
2. Buggy iTunes on Windows. Literally for 3 months I couldn't sync my phone because iTunes would freeze 10 seconds after launching.
3. The Titan. I couldn't bear to face a 3.5" phone for another 2-3 years. I think the smallest I can go from here would be 4.3".
4. Windows 8. It looks amazing, and I anticipated that WP would tie in with it extremely well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The honest truth....my friend just got out jail and needed a phone, but couldn't pay a deposit. So I added a line for him, I took the Lumia 900 and gave him my old BlackBerry 9900. :)
:lol: That just sounds funny, since I am an ex-BlackBerry user. I can picture someone saying, "I'd rather be in jail than use a BlackBerry."

Another good one would be, "Counting the days till parole is faster than rebooting a BlackBerry."

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I had wanted an iphone since Apple announced they were going into the smart phone market. I loved the idea of being able to combine my iPod and cell phone into a single device. Unfortunately I felt that each version was lacking what I felt I needed so I kept waiting the next version to come out hoping it was acceptable to my needs. In the meantime I rocked a Samsung Eternity, a feature phone that I loved.

About a year ago I was in a meeting with about 15 people. When we needed to check our schedules everyone pulled out their iphones, androids and blackberries and I was the only one sitting there with a real calendar so I figured it was time for me to join the modern age. My wife and son had just got first gen window 7 phones and I thought they were pretty cool so I started doing some research on them.

Rumors of iphone 5 were coming out every day and I had also heard that windows was coming out with Mango so I decided that at the end of the year I would get either an iphone 5 or a Focus S. As we all know Apple released the 4S with no 5 in sight so I got the Focus S and have never regretted my decision.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone was the motorola droid. At first I loved it. I rooted it and put custom roms on it. Eventually it started running horribly. I went from rom to rom, with some working adequately, but none of them being particularly impressive as far as functionality. When the iphone 4 came to Verizon I got it for my wife mainly because of the problems with my droid because I knew she wouldn't be happy dealing with an inconsistent phone. It didn't take long to figure out the iphone is really nice. When it was time for my upgrade I was planning on getting an iphone, but I wanted to wait for the new one. I played with all of the android phones Verizon had, but none of them really did anything for me. I saw the Trophy and started reading reviews and watching videos about WP. After playing with it in the store a couple of times and watching probably every video out there, I made the jump. I figured if I didn't like it I would return it and wait for the next iphone. Well now it's close to a year later and I'm still satisfied with my Trophy.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Beautiful Simplicity! More elegant than iPhone and just as efficient as My BB's

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I finally converged over from my Motorola Flip Phone and Dell Axim x51v to a HTC TouchPro2 and used it for about 1 1/2 years until it stopped working. For no real reason, the phone just stopped. Looked brand new even. After going through 4 other repalcement(refurbed) units that also had screen issues, GPS not working, Microphone not working.

they gave me a new Arrive as a replacement and I've been using it since.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The UI. And the visual appeal of the apps. Its what has kept me here as well. With the camera issues on the lumia 900, I struggled with whether or not to jump over to android and the one x. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Having to face the basic garbage level visual quality of android apps was something I couldn't imagine facing on a daily basis. Sure there are deficiencies, but MS has nailed so much right, for me, with the OS, that I just can't bring myself to leave, even if it is the "logical" thing to do.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a htc tytan II on wm and enjoyed tinkering with that which lead me to android. I love android but the updates not coming started to irk me and I started to get bored with it especially since the device I have which is the dell streak isn't that heavily supported by devs and porting to the device is a pain. one day I decided to google windows phone and aftet watching a couple of videos I liked what I saw and it will. be my next phone. I'm just waiting for more details about apollo I am due for an upgrade....if I can wait that long

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I owned a nokia dumbphone, sanyo flip phone and a Samsung flip phone. My first smart phone was a palm pre (loved it) but I saw the writing on the wall for palm and didn't want an iphone or android. At the time I started hearing all this talk about WP. It just seemed like the best option for me and I love it and pushing so hard for it to succeed.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Always disliked Apple since the first iMac days, and supported Creative during the mp3 wars, so iPhone was a no go for me. I was a Nokia fan too, a 6260 and E63 being the phones that I loved most from the Nokia stable (didn't had the cash to buy the N9x series though)

But enough people around me are using Androids and iPhones that I decided it was time to go from tactile keyboards to touchscreen. My friend had a LG Optimus One lying somewhere, and I borrowed it as a daily driver to see if Android was all it was cracked up to be.

Well, in some ways it impressed me, but having been a hotmail guy mostly (I don't use Google services save for their search), I found the email lacking, and the phone hangs a lot. Of course, my friend's GSII is a lot better in that regard, but having been a mid-range guy for most parts of my life, I couldn't justify spending so much on the GS2, and the other Galaxies were lacking.

Then Nokia announced the L800. And that was the phone I needed. After all, MS services were growing on me and the L800 had everything I needed save for Path and Line by Naver. And my friend had a HD7 running Mango, and Wordament is so addictive. So I jumped in March.

Never looked back since. This phone is amazingly good. Given my insane usage, it has only froze on me twice, and that was when I installed many redundant apps just for fun. Cleared some and it runs smooth. Everyone thought it was a dual core. XD

And now, waiting for Apollo for myself, while getting my dad a L900 when it becomes available in Singapore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb