WP7.5 Garbling Emails?

mcorner

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am a new convert from the iPhone to a Lumia 900. Love everything about it, but I am getting some complaints from my coworkers about my phone "garbling" emails threads that I reply to.

We use gmail and I am using the built in email client on the Lumia.

What I am seeing is stuff like this:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=f46d043bde66182c9404bf63dc5a

--f46d043bde66182c9404bf63dc5a
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

and:

--f46d043bde66182c9404bf63dc5a
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3D"Cont=
ent-Type"></head><body><div><div style=3D"font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; =
font-size: 11pt;">On the mac

So exposing various mime stuff and converting html into text sometimes. Anything I can do about this?

Are there other email clients?

Gmail's web interface that I get through IE is pretty much unusable.

Other ideas?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It's a GMail thing. I get the same jabber occasionally on my Yahoo account when people reply to a group email using GMail. Have not isolated where/when/how it appears. Seems to be random.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

mcorner

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It appears that what happens is it includes the last part of the subject with the body of the email above the mime header. This means that email clients see the first line as text and the rest (including the mime headers) as text as well.

I don't know how to reproduce it either. Perhaps extra long subjects?

Is there some place to report bugs to MS?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It appears that what happens is it includes the last part of the subject with the body of the email above the mime header. This means that email clients see the first line as text and the rest (including the mime headers) as text as well.

I don't know how to reproduce it either. Perhaps extra long subjects?

Is there some place to report bugs to MS?

This is usually where I go.

Home - Microsoft Answers

mcorner

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yet people say Gmail is better than hotmail. Don't know how they can think that with this garbage going on.
It isn't clear if it is Gmail or WP's fault. Since I have never seen it before until I picked up a windows phone (which is otherwise brilliant), I would guess it is WP's fault.

There are some other issues dealing with threads that mix html and txt email clients, but that is another matter....

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yet people say Gmail is better than hotmail. Don't know how they can think that with this garbage going on.
Well it doesn't happen in other email clients.

What you said is about as legit as people saying Hotmail is garbage because the ActiveSync connection doesn't support HTML email on a lot of email clients in other devices.

Personally haven't seen this issue when emailing people on GMail on my device.

What devices are people seeing the issue on? Just Lumia 900s?

EDIT: Link Above OP has a Radar, so it's not a device specific issue.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well it doesn't happen in other email clients.

What you said is about as legit as people saying Hotmail is garbage because the ActiveSync connection doesn't support HTML email on a lot of email clients in other devices.

Personally haven't seen this issue when emailing people on GMail on my device.

What devices are people seeing the issue on? Just Lumia 900s?

EDIT: Link Above OP has a Radar, so it's not a device specific issue.

Don't see how its an OS issue if only web Gmail is being affected so far. Especially given Google's track record of support for WP, it would be an OS issue if it's showing up elsewhere as well which doesn't seem to be the case.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
its probably a incompatibility problem between WP's API and Gmails policies and ways of doing things.

honestly I think its a 50/50 problem here. and it doesnt seem to always happen on every phone..

honestly it might also just be a specific thing you did differently in does e-mail causing that

saqib qureshi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
so how does this MIME buster work? Is it an application? The website is just some text box. I had this problem with WP7 and was hopeful that it would have been resolved by now. It feels that it happens whenever I reply to an email with HTML embedded in the document. Anywayz, my question is, what is this MIME Buster website? How does it resolve the problem?

Thanks

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
so how does this MIME buster work? Is it an application? The website is just some text box. I had this problem with WP7 and was hopeful that it would have been resolved by now. It feels that it happens whenever I reply to an email with HTML embedded in the document. Anywayz, my question is, what is this MIME Buster website? How does it resolve the problem?

Thanks
The weird formatting issue is related to the subject line in the email. The way MIME buster works is before you send an email, copy the subject line and then paste it into the text box on MIME buster. If the subject line would cause formatting issues, MIME buster will say "That subject is unsafe. I suggest you use . . . " Then copy the subject line MIME buster suggests and paste it into the subject line of your email.

When you send the email, the recipients will not see weird formatting.

DAC324

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Unfortunately, the MIME Buster seems to be down. I get a message that the service is unavailable.
That's a pity. I'd really like to know which things are cleaned up by MIME Buster.

UPDATE:
I just tested once again and it seems that there is a 57 characters limit for the subject line. If the subject line exceeds 57 characters (including prefixes like Re: and spaces), the e-mail will be garbled (i.e. be sent as source code). If the line of the subject line is exactly 57 characters or less, the error does not occur.

That is a very stupid bug, and it appears that it still exists in Windows Phone 8.

Kind regards,

DAC324

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven