Nielsen disaggregates WM and WP in its OS marketshare rankings

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
They used to have them all together. Annoying, since winmo still had s larger share, but was declining faster than wp7 could fill, so it seemed like "windows" was losing marketplace... And since people typically refused to believe people still use winmo, the same hacks behind the "news" simply assumed wp7 was at fault.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who wants or needs USB tethering without having to hack. Anybody who wants or needs network drive mapping out of the box without 3rd party apps. Anybody who wants or needs to do reg edits with dozens of available free editors, just for kicks. Anybody who wants or needs to sync their files or Outlook with their PC. Anybody who wants or needs a smartphone real cheap on eBay. There are more reasons but these are just a few that come to mind.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
USB & BT tethering work right out of the box through ICS without having to resort to 3rd party apps, rooting or any other process. Sorry for not being more specific.

BT, USB, and Wireless tethering were in FroYo on the Galaxy S 1st gen devices and most HTC FroYo+ devices as well.

The only reason people used marketplace apps to tether was to hide from their carriers, but the carriers caught up to them, real quick :p

WinMo supported all of that out of the box, though. It also supported MTP so you didn't need yet another duplicate app on your computer to sync media. ICS also supports MTP.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Shame the numbers are pre-Lumia 900 launch, would be interested to see if there's been any shift in figures.

It probably wouldn't show you what you wanted to show. Even if Nokia sells a huge number of phones absolutely, WP7's marketshare will probably drop relatively because of the expansion of the smartphone market.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, it makes since. I believe that many of the people who switched out of WM simply went Droid or iOS. I was almost one of those. Had I not been given a new Arrive from Sprint to replace my TP2, I would have just gone Droid and renewed my contract.

The way MS started from scratch with WP7 put a lot of people out. People like me who had been using WM and earlier versions and had amassed many years worth of programs and software that they used and relied upon since before Smartphones were told that it didn't matter anymore. I've spent the last year or so now still working on getting back up to speed on my WP and finally able to almost do away with my Dell Axim x51v that I've been using for years. I still don't have all the "apps" that replace the programs I need and use but I've worked around most of them and switched to other avenues to access them online instead of the installed software.

It was a bad marketing plan for MS and even poorer marketing, or lack thereof, that has put them into this position. They will have to seriously improve their image and presence out there before they can even begin to hope to get back to the market share they once had. Both Apple and Google have well used this to their advantage.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The 4% of WM users are businesses. Microsoft dropped the ball by not bringing WP7 business-ready out of the gate. They focused on the consumer side and now lagging behind at 1.7% after a year on the market.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Are these figures based on recent sales or just what a group of people they surveyed had? It makes sense that Windows Phone would still be behind Windows Mobile in terms of existing devices.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 4% of WM users are businesses. Microsoft dropped the ball by not bringing WP7 business-ready out of the gate. They focused on the consumer side and now lagging behind at 1.7% after a year on the market.
How do you figure? Office was, and always will be, king of productivity software. WM had it which is why it appealed to enterprise. WP7 made it even better with SkyDrive integration and Sharepoint. You've got it backwards, enterprise is first and foremost with today's WP7 offerings and consumers second. Don't believe me? Look at all the comments: lousy camera, no SD storage, no front facing camera (most models), no dual-core for gaming, and the list goes on.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Came from Windows Mobile;5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5, to WP on launch day in 2010. Left about $600 worth of WM apps behind. Hey, things happen. Its called progress. Fortunately the replacement apps didn't cost nearly as much.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3