Hotmail over Gmail on WP?

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
In terms of strictly using the WP email client, are there any benefits of using Hotmail over Gmail on WP?

I think Gmail works great on WP but sometimes it's slow to update the Gmail server after reading or sending. Any better on Hotmail?

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'm not trying to crown a winner overall. I use both and they have pros and cons. I'm just curious to if they work similarly on WP or if Hotmail works better because of same parent company. The reason I can't test myself is because I currently don't have my Windows Phone. :-(

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used Gmail on a Windows device since the WM6.5 days but I don't imagine things have changed much. When using Exchange for push with Gmail you could only sync contacts and calendars, not tasks. If you're used to the Gmail interface and don't mind the inability to sync tasks, give it a try on Exchange.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I use both and they seem to work about the same on my phone. I have moved most of my stuff to hotmail, but that was just a personal preference, not due to a performance difference.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The only benefit is that WP7 supports Windows Live Calendar To-Dos, and not GMail "Tasks."

Other than that, they're both basically the same as they both use Exchange ActiveSync for the connection.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Gmail gas better junk filters. Being king of search sort of helps there, I'd think. Features it depends on how you use email, but gmail has way more features especially when you throw labs into the mix. If you use email primarily from mobile devices both are good. Hotmail has the edge on wp7 due to to do support, though.

The gmail web interface is less cluttered than hotmail and performs better, but I never use web interfaces personally. Maybe others do. Labels > folders.

IMO gmail only really shines when used with a client built for it. Like the Android gmail client.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I use my Gmail address as my Live ID. I still get my email through Gmail and I get Google's spam filters, so it's a win-win.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos