Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, terrible idea. Lets put a stop to this and go back to the status quo of not having these apps released at all for WP and OEM's like HTC and Samsung releasing phones and not doing anything to promote them while they promote their android devices.

Lets ignore the fact that only a handful are actually exclusive to Nokia and only for a set time period. Lets convieniently forget that Nokia is also providing their mapping services, operator contacts and other benefits to MS and are not just being paid blindly by MS.

Yep, lets just wait for HTC and Samsung to jump in and fully support the platform and provide their exclusive services like Beats and Chaton. Lets just sit back and pray that WP somehow takes off like we've been doing since it was launched in October 2010 with no support from the launch OEM's. Yes, then its all going to work out for WP....:rolleyes:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Funny that no one was beating down LG last year when they introduced exclusive apps, including; Augmented Reality and an "unmatched to date", Voice to Text/EMail app. And I believe HTC still has an exclusive on a flashlight app that uses the camera flash. Nokia mapping apps come from NAVTEC, so that was already their property.

Regarding exclusive arrangements with some big names, guess you can't please some people no matter what. First is was, WP won't catch on till they get these popular apps. Now it's WP won't catch on because Nokia has an exclusive on these popular apps. Here's an idea. Buy a Nokia and stop your bellyaching.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

they all have exclusive apps LOL! Samsung too , each OEM has its own little *side*marketplace .

i think its cause NOKIA actualy has excluse apps that are actually GOOD! LMAO aside from Samsung's Rubik's Cub! lol. yay exclusive Rubik's Cube . HAHA

at lease the APPS are goign to a TOP END Wp and not the low end Wps..

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Funny that no one was beating down LG last year when they introduced exclusive apps, including; Augmented Reality and an "unmatched to date", Voice to Text/EMail app. And I believe HTC still has an exclusive on a flashlight app that uses the camera flash. Nokia mapping apps come from NAVTEC, so that was already their property.

I wasn't complaining about LG because I think the OEMs should be allowed to have the rights to their own software that they produce. My problem begins when they start doing this with other brands and apps that they don't own or produce themselves.

Buy a Nokia and stop your bellyaching.
This goes against one of the original strengths of WP, that you get to choose your hardware but still have the same software experience. Besides, please tell me where I can buy a Nokia for Verizon.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Excellent comments so far but I still don't think it's fair for people to benefit more than others on the same OS. In the Android world, I think it's about OS customizations and not apps benefits. All apps are acquired by everyone, the only difference being your customizations and experience.

Secondly, I know some HTC and MS workers will see this post, after all they are here with us under disguise ;-)

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Excellent comments so far but I still don't think it's fair for people to benefit more than others on the same OS. In the Android world, I think it's about OS customizations and not apps benefits. All apps are acquired by everyone, the only difference being your customizations and experience.

Secondly, I know some HTC and MS workers will see this post, after all they are here with us under disguise ;-)

Everyone benefits eventually, just that Nokia users benefit sooner. Here is the list of apps and only 4 are timed exclusives, the rest will be available for all WP users.

CTIA 2012: Nokia announces new exclusive Lumia Windows Phone apps | ZDNet

Have to ask why people are moaning when Nokia is obviously doing the best they can for the platform as well as themselves. People should stop and think, what state WP would be in if it was left to HTC, Samsung and the rest? Almost to a man they have stated they wont be releasing any new WP devices till the end of the year, yet here is Nokia creating buzz and getting mindshare for the platform. How is that bad? Does the inaction of the other OEM's benefit the platform? Yet all some can see is what they are not getting. Typical.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope Nokia's exclusive apps cause fragmentation. Why? To increase competition amongst other OEMs. Manufactures are currently in bad shape. Samsung and Apple are gobbling up 99% of mobile profits with no signs of slowing down. The only way to counter that is to make a product that is more attractive to consumers than the competitors. That is what Nokia is doing with their exclusive apps - competing. As Nokia gains more marketshare that's going to further put the squeeze on OEMs. For example, HTC is losing the Android and WP fight. In the end, HTC will either have to compete or fade away. If HTC is smart they'll start working on a legitimate ecosystem of their own, complete with things people actually want (unlike Beats audio). We saw some signs of life with HTC Locations including offline maps, but they're going to have to work much harder if they want to stave off Samsung, Nokia, and Apple. The same can be said for all the other OEMs out there that make Android/WP devices.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

I think the LOGIC behind this is that NOKIA is the HERO WP now and the fact that WP share are SO SMALL!! that if anything this is just gona help bring in MORE clients to the OS.

the only people really getting affected are the OEM and existing clients on HTC and Samsung ..etc...

I guess only time will tell if this was a smart of bad move.

lotfett

May 9, 2012
Visit site
MS gives money to Nokia to keep them WP only and to make unique phones compared to those in the android line. Well what has Nokia done? Well the rumors are that Nokia pushed LTE support to WP7 which was scheduled to be in Apollo. All of the manufacturers got the LTE because of that. I'm waiting to see what else is in the pipeline. What Nokia has already done with Symbian: 41M camera, HDMI, DLNA, NFC and lots of other stuff. This means that ALL of the OEM:s will have the option to include or exclude these options if Nokia has enough muscles to push these through.

Now that they are bringing apps quicker than any other OEM will put up a competition never seen within this platform which will benefit everyone. You just have to wait if sticking with an OEM which is not willing to spend a dime on software development. I think it is more than fair.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
As I see it, there are 3 ways to differentiate a phone.

-The Hardware: This is the physical design of the phone, both internally and externally. Internally are things like CPU cores, accelerometers, and gyroscopes, etc. MS specs what pieces can be used, limiting the OEMs, which keeps costs down and makes the OS more stable. That's a good thing. Externally, by and large the OEMs have a free hand, this too is a good thing. Focusing their energy on the design of the phone as a differentiator from their competitors will hopefully lead to more beautiful and cutting edge form factors.

-The OS: otherwise known as "Skins". On Android this has been the main focus for OEMS as the way they differentiate their phones from the next guy. The problem with this approach is that updates and patches all have to be re-written by the OEMS and then again by the carriers after being released by Google to work properly with their skins. I've never owned an Android phone, but I've yet to listen to or read a single reviewer/blogger that claims these skins are better than the "stock" Android experience. So what's the point? Bloatware that slows the passage of updates to the consumer and screws up the phone? Thanks but no thanks. For the grass is always greener crowd asking for more Android style customization, just take a look down this slippery slope and see if it's where you want to go. 5% of your phones running the latest OS, a la Ice Cream Sandwich, or 100% running WP7.5?

-Apps: The 3rd way for OEMs to differentiate their phone from the competition. All of these companies have a limited amount of resources. Given my druthers, would I want the OEMs directing their resources towards writing custom skins as I've outlined above, OR use those same programmers to develop custom apps for their line of WPs? Lemme think about this for a second.....

Competition makes the breed stronger. If the struggle revolves around the physical design/beauty of the phone, and the apps it comes with, I think MS has devised a strategy that will make the consumers the winner in the end.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Saw this great article (http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-causing-fragmentation-windows-phone-their-exclusive-apps) and it's worth discussion. Actually I'm pissed about what Nokia is doing. Is it by force to use a Nokia device?? If I dont, why I'm I being punnised for it by not getting some good apps?

Nokia has made moves to gain some big titles (and leverage) for their hardware. Who does it hurt? Who does it benefit and is it a good thing? I say a BIG NO, it's not a good thing. Good for Nokia but not for the OS (Windows Phone)

The real deal is, Nokia?s strategy to get these apps and games on their hardware will definetely hurt Windows Phone and I can see Nokia's Version of Windows Phone coming out real soon and it aint good.

Pissed this morning, Always Nokia, Nokia, Nokia all ove the news with exclusive good apps.....WTF :mad:

I would be more upset with HTC and Samsung for not courting developers to bring big name apps to their phones. You are going to get the apps eventually, just months after Nokia users. So nothing is fragmented.

Nokia isn't making these apps. They are getting developers to bring their apps to WP7 and in return for probably some money up front they get exclusive rights for some time to promote their phones over the other WP7 competition. I very much doubt Nokia is making Angry Birds in Space...

It's business people. Take up your complaints with Samsung and HTC and ask why they are not supporting their WP7 customers. This stuff happens all the time. Xbox LIVE users get Call of Duty DLC weeks or months before PS3 users for the same reasons. Deal with it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Okay let's be honest, many of you are scared of fragmentation, because you don't wanna be called out by your Android friends. Who cares? Just be content you'll eventually get them (apps) as opposed to never getting them.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
This is not fragmentation and it is not hurting the OS! At least not when we are reffering to Nokias own creations like Drive, City Lens etc.

Even on Android, producers create their own touchwiz etc. Skins on top of the OS. Think of this being just the same except Nokia is the only producer taking it really serious. Other producers are free to create their own exclusive apps as well.

Ofcourse it is a little problematic if they expand to 3rd party exclusive apps, like for example closing a deal with EA to make FIFA2013 exclusive for Lumia! But it is still not fragmentation of the OS.

EDIT: if they pay for the development I even think that the above is fair enough as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Regarding exclusive arrangements with some big names, guess you can't please some people no matter what. First is was, WP won't catch on till they get these popular apps. Now it's WP won't catch on because Nokia has an exclusive on these popular apps. Here's an idea. Buy a Nokia and stop your bellyaching.

What are you talking about? Don't be soo naive, can you compare a flashlight app to a CNN app? mtcheeww it's the OS thats my choice not a phone so why should I feel cheated. You cant force me t buy a Nokia device, im using WP OS not a Nokia OS...WRITE SOMETHING PROPER.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
yep, terrible idea. Lets put a stop to this and go back to the status quo of not having these apps released at all for wp and oem's like htc and samsung releasing phones and not doing anything to promote them while they promote their android devices.

Lets ignore the fact that only a handful are actually exclusive to nokia and only for a set time period. Lets convieniently forget that nokia is also providing their mapping services, operator contacts and other benefits to ms and are not just being paid blindly by ms.

Yep, lets just wait for htc and samsung to jump in and fully support the platform and provide their exclusive services like beats and chaton. Lets just sit back and pray that wp somehow takes off like we've been doing since it was launched in october 2010 with no support from the launch oem's. Yes, then its all going to work out for wp....:rolleyes:

sensible speech my brother, love that
:)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Terrible idea for MS. A consumer walks in ready to renew or sign a new contract and here's the break down:

Iphone - yes, you can use that app
Android - yes, any of these phones can use that app.
Windows Phone - well, you can only use that app on that 1 phone...but hey, after a year, you'll be able to use it!

The Lumia 900 reviews on the ATT website aren't that great. Compared to other Windows Phones, it's only ahead of the refurbished Focus Flash. Otherwise, it's tied with the Focus Flash and behind the Titan, Focus S, and Titan II.

Hmmm....i got PLENTY of messages about certain apps not working for certain android devices. Netflix anyone? Wasn't compatible for a LOT of devices on initial devices for a long time. Samsung galaxy 3, Flipboard? Yea you can get the apn and side load but the general market doesn't know that. So lets not act like android is above exclusivity. What some of you need to do is see that Nokia is the only company to take matters in their own hands. What if this had been the kin or palm pre again? Yall would be pissed cause of lack of developers. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
they all have exclusive apps LOL! Samsung too , each OEM has its own little *side*marketplace .

i think its cause NOKIA actualy has excluse apps that are actually GOOD! LMAO aside from Samsung's Rubik's Cub! lol. yay exclusive Rubik's Cube . HAHA

at lease the APPS are goign to a TOP END Wp and not the low end Wps..
Exactly, The dude doesn't know what he's talking about. He should go do his home work and stop pissing me

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It does sometimes feel like if you don't have a Lumia you don't have a windows phone.

Probably more so for me since I have a Titan II and it is never in the news or talked about.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, android didn't feel like anything special until verizon/motorola did that droid collaboration. Every platform has a hero device

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)