New Lumia owner from Android has some Questions.

TheNamelessMan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Got a Lumia 900 yesterday. So far like it alot. There were a lot of apps I used on Android, and want to know if there is a comparable replacement through windows mobile...

1. Wireless data transfer. Do I have to plug my phone into a PC and rune Zune if I want to transfer media from a pc to my phone? If so thats very cumbersome.

2. a good gtalk app/client?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey TheNameslessMan

:D:D WELCOME TO WPCENTRAL :D:D

1. no you DO NOT need to plug your phone into your PC to sync , we can do WIFI sync BUT it requires you to plug your phone into a AC charge

for more info check out this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/191338.htm

2: we have a few g-talk apps I think, but im not sure witch once are better , maybe some one will come in and give you some suggestions for that.

TheNamelessMan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for less of a sync option and more of a wireless data transfer option. Like if a friend has a document on his PC, and no cables are around and I need it on my phone. Android has wireless data transfer...didn't know if WP Mobile has something like this...

jj14x

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Lumia does (yet). But why not just email it?

Edit: Which android wireless data transfer are you referring to? (Bluetooth? or over wifi?)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No wireless data transfer yet, but with Nokia will be coming out with a Bluetooth transfer app and NFC support.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to transfer my contacts via bluetooth from my old iPhone to my Lumia...why isn't there an app for file transfering this way yet?!

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
You can use skydive app on the phone and it pc to keep things transferred. I use it for the same reason. It is not as convenient as just pluggin it into a pc but it is great in other ways

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for less of a sync option and more of a wireless data transfer option. Like if a friend has a document on his PC, and no cables are around and I need it on my phone. Android has wireless data transfer...didn't know if WP Mobile has something like this...
Re: Wireless transfer

You can accomplish this through SkyDrive.

hardcoreplur

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, thought of a one more.

1. Caller ID Pictures...is there a reason they are blurry? Can they be fixed?

It is how your phone is pulling the pictures. if they are from facebook it is as high resolution as the pict from facebook. but if it a pict from your Live account is will be 200x200. and the phone will pixel-double it.
you can fix by changing the pict on the phone itself instead of on live.com

I hope that helps.

TheNamelessMan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
It is how your phone is pulling the pictures. if they are from facebook it is as high resolution as the pict from facebook. but if it a pict from your Live account is will be 200x200. and the phone will pixel-double it.
you can fix by changing the pict on the phone itself instead of on live.com

I hope that helps.

Example. I took a picture of a friend with my Lumia and assigned it to his contact. When he calls, a heavily pixelated/distorted version comes.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Example. I took a picture of a friend with my Lumia and assigned it to his contact. When he calls, a heavily pixelated/distorted version comes.

i assume the original picture isn't blurry to begin with?

i just tried on mine, if i put a clear picture that is on the phone on to a profile it shows up cleanly

i searched on the net and found that apparently if you have google account it could cause your images to scale down, do you have gmail on the phone?

TheNamelessMan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
i assume the original picture isn't blurry to begin with?

i just tried on mine, if i put a clear picture that is on the phone on to a profile it shows up cleanly

i searched on the net and found that apparently if you have google account it could cause your images to scale down, do you have gmail on the phone?

I do have gmail contacts, but i deleted the gmail picture of my friend and tried replacing it with the new one...still blurry.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The issue with crappy resolution contact photos is because of Gmail. It resizes them to 96x96 then when it syn'c back to your phone, you now have a 96x96 picture that is blown up to the size you see on your screen when they call.

I moved all my contacts to my hotmail and replaced the pictures afterward and no issues since.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
As far as a good gtalk app/client goes, try GoVoice or MetroTalk. Both have free versions.

Personally, I prefer MetroTalk because it can give you up to date/live notifications. It is a bit laborious to set up, but they have great instructions at the app website. Once set up, I believe it is second to none on ANY platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes