So this is my prediction on WP success

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft does force hardware vendors to prohibit dual-booting another OS other than Windows 8, I will not purchase Windows 8. I probably run Linux 75% of the time now. If I get a new PC, it must have the ability to run Linux. There needs to be a way to disable secure boot, or else I won't buy Windows 8.

Same with tablets. If IE is the only browser allowed on Windows RT tablets, I won't buy one. I don't even use IE on my desktop. My default browser is Opera, and I also run Firefox and Chrome.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Vista was a bloated mess that ran slow on anything other than a fast brand-new machine.

Me and Bob are relics of Microsoft's dorky and inept past not worth mentioning.

Every indication is that Windows 8 boots and runs even fast than Windows 7 does and is even more user friendly. I think it will be popular with consumers once they get a taste of it on all the new machines that will be coming with it. The "power users" will groan about Metro for a little while and then follow along once they see all the other things that Windows 8 will do better. Enterprise market is still dragging themselves off of XP and into Windows 7 so most of them won't see Windows 8 until 2027 at the rate they go.

Windows 8 on my Dell Latitude E6400 boots Windows 8 in 20 seconds. Yes you can boot right into a desktop version (MS plans on allowing folks to disable the Metro)

I think the Enterprise is going to pick this up faster in some areas (executives and savvy folks). And we all know Executives need to be happy, because as long as they have the latest technology IT won't be viewed as Slow.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft does force hardware vendors to prohibit dual-booting another OS other than Windows 8, I will not purchase Windows 8. I probably run Linux 75% of the time now. If I get a new PC, it must have the ability to run Linux. There needs to be a way to disable secure boot, or else I won't buy Windows 8.

Same with tablets. If IE is the only browser allowed on Windows RT tablets, I won't buy one. I don't even use IE on my desktop. My default browser is Opera, and I also run Firefox and Chrome.

Virtual PC.....I don't understand the point of dual booting these days....

Maybe you missed the news Firefox is making a metro Browser for Windows 8..........they need to...why because its the PC market and MS dominates this field.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Virtual PC.....I don't understand the point of dual booting these days....

Maybe you missed the news Firefox is making a metro Browser for Windows 8..........they need to...why because its the PC market and MS dominates this field.

Firefox is losing ground to Chrome, more like.

600px-Usage_share_of_web_browsers_%28Source_StatCounter%29.svg.png

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Firefox is losing ground to Chrome, more like.

Ya last year I believe. Google will make one for Windows 8, they really dont have a choice unless 90% of desktop users move to there Chrome OS (which I got one for testing)...nobody is moving there anytime soon. Google still wants the advertising dollars, they won't ignore the x86 Windows Market.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Ya last year I believe. Google will make one for Windows 8, they really dont have a choice unless 90% of desktop users move to there Chrome OS (which I got one for testing)...nobody is moving there anytime soon. Google still wants the advertising dollars, they won't ignore the x86 Windows Market.

Sure, but they won't bother with a metro app, in all probability. Firefox has to, in a desperate attempt to keep the marketshare they have.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but they won't bother with a metro app, in all probability. Firefox has to, in a desperate attempt to keep the marketshare they have.

Have you seen the IE metro app......it's freaking nice....be a shame if google didn't try on windows 8, when HP, Dell, Lenova are selling hardware :)

Unless we start seeing HTC, Samsung laptops.....google will make one for windows 8.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I really hate to see people bash IE, especially since everything wrong with it was fixed with IE9, what exactly is wrong with it? It passes 100% on the standards test.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I really hate to see people bash IE, especially since everything wrong with it was fixed with IE9, what exactly is wrong with it? It passes 100% on the standards test.

There's nothing wrong with IE. Just like there's nothing wrong with WP. But they've been saddled with the legacies of IE 6 and WM.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with IE. Just like there's nothing wrong with WP. But they've been saddled with the legacies of IE 6 and WM.

So true :(

I never used WM, so I don't have that experience.

I only started using IE 9 (was a firefox user), well actually IE 10 (my main OS is Windows 8 consumer edition, lol and I am going to try to install Diablo III on it)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

IE9 64-bit is still slow as a snail, compared to Chrome. Most of the benchmark tests do not even bother testing it, since it is so slow.

I also prefer browsers that are platform-agnostic, since I run Linux more than Windows anyway. That is why I have IE9 installed, but do not use it in Windows; and I do not even have Safari installed.

Although I love Windows Phone, I am not a fangirl of everything Redmond produces.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Who cares. At the end of the day the average person doesn't give a flying bird about the performance of a browser. The only reason Chrome is popular is the strength of googles name. Let's face it, google is really popular and a powerful brand right now. I personally don't use any google software or services but even I know this. But when it comes to benchmarks, the average person really doesn't care. They will use whatever is popular at the time

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Who cares. At the end of the day the average person doesn't give a flying bird about the performance of a browser. The only reason Chrome is popular is the strength of googles name. Let's face it, google is really popular and a powerful brand right now. I personally don't use any google software or services but even I know this. But when it comes to benchmarks, the average person really doesn't care. They will use whatever is popular at the time

Gmail is my default e-mail account. I do not wish to pay for IMAP, and Gmail uses IMAP and is free. Gmail also has better spam filters than many others. Yahoo Mail is the worst when it comes to spam.

I do want a fast browser. Firefox has become laggy lately. When a page takes 20 seconds longer to open in a particular browser, it is time to choose something else.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Conclusion from that article

"Also, given how well IE 9 performed in these tests, sticking with the default browser that comes with Windows no longer gives you an inferior web experience"

I still prefer a browser that is cross-platform. IE is useless to a Linux user.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Gmail is my default e-mail account. I do not wish to pay for IMAP, and Gmail uses IMAP and is free. Gmail also has better spam filters than many others. Yahoo Mail is the worst when it comes to spam.

I do want a fast browser. Firefox has become laggy lately. When a page takes 20 seconds longer to open in a particular browser, it is time to choose something else.

Again who cares. Your not a casual user. Exactly what I was trying to say before. This isn't about power users. If Windows Phone and Windows 8 are going to succeed they are going to have to be accepted by the casual users

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Again who cares. Your not a casual user. Exactly what I was trying to say before. This isn't about power users. If Windows Phone and Windows 8 are going to succeed they are going to have to be accepted by the casual users

You have a point there.

I do not necessarily believe that Windows 8 needs to be successful in order for Windows Phone to be successful, though. For example, SkyDrive does not even require one to run any desktop version of Windows. Any web browser works with SkyDrive.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You have a point there.

I do not necessarily believe that Windows 8 needs to be successful in order for Windows Phone to be successful, though. For example, SkyDrive does not even require one to run any desktop version of Windows. Any web browser works with SkyDrive.

Where Windows Phone needs Windows 8 is it's name and power as a brand. The Windows PC userbase is far beyond any OS, desktop or mobile. Windows 8 will be the first time many people will see or use the metro UI. More people are going to use metro for the first time on Windows 8 than they will on WP. That is why Windows 8 is important for WP, as it introduces the metro UI to the masses. When people get a taste of Windows 8 metro UI, they will be familiar with it when they see Windows Phone. WP OS will not be as foreign to them as it is now. Plus when they see how well integrated WP is with Microsoft services, it can help push Windows Phone devices. It's all about getting the metro UI to as many people as possible, then lure them in to the rest of the ecosystem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism