So this is my prediction on WP success

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing some thinking. I realized how important Windows 8 is for Windows Phone's success. Windows 8 will be the first time the metro UI will be introduced to the masses. I don't think we have to talk about how strong Windows OS is as a brand worldwide. Everyone already knows that. The question is how will the masses respond to such a huge change to Windows UI, something completely foreign to most. If it's received well and the majority love it, that could cause a surge in Windows Phone marketshare. People will see Windows Phone and be familiar with it right away cause it looks just like Windows PC. Once they get familiar with Windows 8 and see how integrated Windows Phone is with Microsoft services, it can help push devices. So with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 coming this fall, its now or never. 2013 is Microsoft's year, it's the beginning of a new era for Microsoft

What do you guys think?

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is more important that windows RT (on tablets) be successful, and that's going to be a rough start since people want iPads and not tablets...

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If anyone has had a chance to use either the DP or the CP on a touch screen, it's marvelous. Even on a laptop or desktop, once you get used to it, it is a bit more intuitive than the 90's-era start menu/desktop paradigm. Sure, there will be a contingent of people who just won't allow themselves to embrace a bit of change (and they'll be vocal).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The hardest part will be differentiating Windows 8 and Windows RT. The average consumer will probably not know what will and what will not run on RT.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The hardest part will be differentiating Windows 8 and Windows RT. The average consumer will probably not know what will and what will not run on RT.

That's probably the only real concern but what's more important is that people accept the metro UI. If people can accept the metro UI, then Windows Phone has a bright future ahead. As for what and what can't Windows RT run is all up to Microsoft to educate people on that matter

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site

Since apps that run on RT should be able to run on windows 8, I think that developpers will have to make all their apps from now on compatible with both, that way people who buy RT get the simple version and people who buy win8 get the simple version plus the desktop experience (if that can be done of course, but I'm guessing that x86 processors can run programs built for ARM like bluestack does). I think that the bigger challenge is to see how people will react to metro on non touch machines: laptops are still selling in big numbers, and I personally didn't like the desktop+metro experience... I tried the developper preview and now the consumer preview and when using metro I feel as if there are 2 OSes on my PC and one of them (metro) is running in virtualbox.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has said that they will ensure that people know the difference between 8 RT and 8.

Sent from my Titan II using Board Express

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is more important that windows RT (on tablets) be successful, and that's going to be a rough start since people want iPads and not tablets...
But you don't understand. With Windows 8, Microsoft isn't trying to sell you a "tablet". Your laptop is your tablet! (And vice versa.)

Microsoft is working to eliminate the distinction between tablets and computers.

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing some thinking. I realized how important Windows 8 is for Windows Phone's success. Windows 8 will be the first time the metro UI will be introduced to the masses. I don't think we have to talk about how strong Windows OS is as a brand worldwide. Everyone already knows that. The question is how will the masses respond to such a huge change to Windows UI, something completely foreign to most. If it's received well and the majority love it, that could cause a surge in Windows Phone marketshare. People will see Windows Phone and be familiar with it right away cause it looks just like Windows PC. Once they get familiar with Windows 8 and see how integrated Windows Phone is with Microsoft services, it can help push devices. So with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 coming this fall, its now or never. 2013 is Microsoft's year, it's the beginning of a new era for Microsoft

What do you guys think?

I think this is no different than the jump from Win XP to Win 7 ... or Office 07 to 10 ... people have been using different elements of the metro interface so I think once they use it they'll quickly adapt and love it

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think this is no different than the jump from Win XP to Win 7 ... or Office 07 to 10 ... people have been using different elements of the metro interface so I think once they use it they'll quickly adapt and love it

I am not so sure. I've tried Developer Preview and Consumer Preview on a laptop, and I did not like it. Metro is great for touchscreen devices, but not for use with a keyboard and mouse/touchpad.

I will probably skip Windows 8 desktop version and stick with Windows 7.

Windows 8 is as bad as the Unity desktop for Ubuntu. In the case of Ubuntu, I ditched it altogether and use openSUSE instead. Yes, I know there are other desktops for Ubuntu than Unity; however, I just found it easier to choose a different Linux distro.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has said that they will ensure that people know the difference between 8 RT and 8.

Sent from my Titan II using Board Express

That's something Microsoft will need to do. However, I am skeptical, since Microsoft never was good at explaining the difference in Home Premium, Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, Starter, and Home Basic editions of Windows 7.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not so sure. I've tried Developer Preview and Consumer Preview on a laptop, and I did not like it. Metro is great for touchscreen devices, but not for use with a keyboard and mouse/touchpad.

I will probably skip Windows 8 desktop version and stick with Windows 7.

Windows 8 is as bad as the Unity desktop for Ubuntu. In the case of Ubuntu, I ditched it altogether and use openSUSE instead. Yes, I know there are other desktops for Ubuntu than Unity; however, I just found it easier to choose a different Linux distro.

Besides the metro interface, the desktop side is almost exactly like windows 7 (heck all my apps got installed)

Hard to believe you won't want a laptop that can be uses as a tablet....Especially when the desktop part is pretty much windows 7.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Besides the metro interface, the desktop side is almost exactly like windows 7 (heck all my apps got installed)

Hard to believe you won't want a laptop that can be uses as a tablet....Especially when the desktop part is pretty much windows 7.

I have no plans to purchase a new laptop at this point. I will not purchase Windows 8 for a laptop that does not have a touchscreen.

Even if I do get a new laptop, I want an Ultrabook, and those are not touchscreen devices. I do not want to touch the screen on a laptop or on a desktop monitor.

A tablet would be a different story.

Metro UI on desktops/laptops is not something I like, and I do not see businesses adopting it any time soon, either. Heck, many businesses are just getting around to switching from XP to 7.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have no plans to purchase a new laptop at this point. I will not purchase Windows 8 for a laptop that does not have a touchscreen.

Even if I do get a new laptop, I want an Ultrabook, and those are not touchscreen devices. I do not want to touch the screen on a laptop or on a desktop monitor.

A tablet would be a different story.

Metro UI on desktops/laptops is not something I like, and I do not see businesses adopting it any time soon, either. Heck, many businesses are just getting around to switching from XP to 7.

We have executives that use an Ipad and then they realized you can't do real work (without a Virtual desktop).

Business will use this, especially knowing you can create an OS on a portable thumb drive and plug into any device.

Microsoft showed using a Xoom and booting to Windows 8. It was really neat.,

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
But you don't understand. With Windows 8, Microsoft isn't trying to sell you a "tablet". Your laptop is your tablet! (And vice versa.)

Microsoft is working to eliminate the distinction between tablets and computers.
Well for me a tablet is still a tablet, and a laptop is still a laptop. Even if it can twist and turn and slide and glide and fly :p All the transformations in the world won't make any difference. A tablet to me should be:
- Around 10" ( we've seen some hybrid prototypes with 14" screens!!!),
- It should be as light weight as possible (the keyboard, hinge and all the other pars will add a lot of wait),
- It should be fan-less (don't think that's going to be possible with x86/64 processors),
- It should have a 4:3 ratio (that's a personal thing: I use my iPad mostly for studying, and I put books on it. A 16:9 ratio just doesn't feel right when held in portrait so I can read),
- It should be LESS than $500;
- The battery should last for 10-12 hours or more (as I said I use my tablet a lot for reading and studying so that's very important).

These are the criteria that define a tablet for ME, but there are there are 3 of them that define a tablet for everyone: the weight (people complained that the iPad 2 was a bit heavy!), the price, and the battery life. I don't see any x86/64 machines doing this any time soon...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
We have executives that use an Ipad and then they realized you can't do real work (without a Virtual desktop).

Business will use this, especially knowing you can create an OS on a portable thumb drive and plug into any device.

Microsoft showed using a Xoom and booting to Windows 8. It was really neat.,

+1

Same at our business users. They cannot go beyond emailing on the go and using odd bit of apps or iCloud. But cannot do real work without asking for a Windows! Most of our proprietory softwares don't install on iPads either. We have multiple licenses for those and it is a shame that we dont have Windows tablets that could be carried around.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's wise of Microsoft to tie the Metro UI together with the tablets, Windows 8 and RT. I suspect that once people start buying new PC's with Windows 8 and the Metro UI becomes familiar, we will see a corresponding increase in sales for Windows Phone. The Metro UI will make sense to people and be familiar once they are using it on their desktop PC's and it will give Windows Phone a much needed advantage.

As for the tablets, I suspect what Microsoft will do is sell consumer targeted tablets in the $3-500 range with Windows RT (they really need to change that name though, I think Windows Metro has a nice ring to it...) and professional-grade tablets that are more like laptop replacements, running full Windows 8, that will run from $900-$1500+.

It will be tricky to explain the difference to people, but I think making a clear separation between consumer and business models and the prices should make it pretty clear. I also think a name like "Windows Metro" would make more sense to consumers than Windows RT. Windows RT sounds like NT to me, if I wasn't following the news, I would have no idea what that was.

I think Windows RT will have "light" versions of the most popular apps, like Office, IE, and lots of games, so it will be more than enough for most people. If they do it right, Windows RT tablets will outsell the Windows 8 ones by more than 4-to-1 and they should clobber the useless Android tablets and maybe even become competitive with the iPad eventually.

The key is going to be to do three things that Microsoft isn't traditionally very good at.

#1- Make it clear to people what the product is, what it does and who it's intended for.
#2- Have a clear separation between different product lines so people can easily decide which to choose.
#3- Not try to throw everything except the kitchen sink in to a product. What's NOT included is just as important as what is sometimes.

What gives me hope is that Microsoft has finally shown they are capable of making these distinctions with Windows 7 and with Windows Phone. What I hear about Windows 8, sounds like they are getting even closer. There should only be two versions of Windows 8, a Home/consumer version and the Professional version, both 64-bit.

Altogether there should only be 4 mainstream versions of Windows out there. Windows 8 Home, Windows 8 Pro, Windows RT and Windows Phone. And the apps designed for the Metro UI should be able to run on ALL of them. Obviously there would have to be some changes for the phone version of the apps, but they should make them as minimal as possible. Either make one version of the app, that's "aware" if it's running on a phone/pc/tablet and adjusts accordingly to resolution etc, or make one PC/tablet version and one phone version, but let people pay once and have access to both. If they do that, I think we will see a huge upswing in the number of apps available.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm skipping windows 8. desktop metro makes zero sense to me. I don't want a touch computer, or laptop. I hate smudgy screens and touching a 24+" monitor when you have a kb and mouse makes you look like an idiot. forces you to keep your monitor within an arms reach as well. my monitor's further than that. Ts the ergonomic thing to do.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm skipping windows 8. desktop metro makes zero sense to me. I don't want a touch computer, or laptop. I hate smudgy screens and touching a 24+" monitor when you have a kb and mouse makes you look like an idiot. forces you to keep your monitor within an arms reach as well. my monitor's further than that. Ts the ergonomic thing to do.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Not wise to knock something when we don't know how it fully works yet. That's the biggest mistake people made and still are making about WP.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3