Planning to buy a WP, help needed!

lilb1190

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to disagree here, a little. The screen on my Titan I showed pixels all day. I could definitely see the jaggies on text. But maybe that's just me.

I will concur, however, that the Lumia is a monster in sunlight. Had lunch at this deli and sat outside, reading my feeds and whatnot, and I saw this table of trophy wives holding their hands over their iPhones so they could look at them. I smiled an evil smile.
Thats something that interests me about the Lumia 900. Being able to use it outside is probably going to be really nice. To my understanding the downside of the display is that if you use a different theme, like a white one, its actually TOO bright. Is that not such an issue if you adjust the brightness?

Also, I have never had a phone with gorilla glass. Between the glass and the polycarbonate will I still need to get a cover to keep it safe?

As far as covers, both phones are already big. Do the covers hug the phone pretty well or do they make them a little too big?

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thats something that interests me about the Lumia 900. Being able to use it outside is probably going to be really nice. To my understanding the downside of the display is that if you use a different theme, like a white one, its actually TOO bright. Is that not such an issue if you adjust the brightness?

Also, I have never had a phone with gorilla glass. Between the glass and the polycarbonate will I still need to get a cover to keep it safe?

As far as covers, both phones are already big. Do the covers hug the phone pretty well or do they make them a little too big?

I have the L800 so I could be wrong but as far as white background goes, its not too bright. They have a layer that blocks reflective light, so they don't really combat the sun by turning up the brightness

as for the case, the gel case that came with my 800 only made it about 1mm~2mm thicker, and whether you use it or not kind of depends on how paranoid you are (i... am...) the upside is if you use the case the silver stripe on the back won't get scratched lol

by the way, im pretty sure there are other free gps apps in the marketplace as ive searched for them before, but i don't know how good they are, and worst case u can always get turn-by-turn or one of the garmin ones (costly... but at least not monthly)

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The GPS apps have gone on sale every so often. I used Navigon on an iphone before and it worked great. I have seen it on sale for $25 in the market place, and next time it goes on sale I am going to pick it up. Not sure how good the WP version is though.

I have the Titan II and I love it. I like the way it feels and looks. I take pictures and videos on it all of the time. I never really did that before with my old phone as the camera was really, really bad. No issues so far. I do not notice any pixelation and I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller screen size after having this one. I don't have any issues looking at the screen outside, but I do live in Seattle, so the sun is not out very often.

lilb1190

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I really cant decide. The only thing it seems most online reviewers can agree on is that the Lumia 900, costs less, but $100 isnt much when you think of it as a 2-year investment. The Lumia 900 SEEMS more durable, which is important. I have had my Palm Pre for 2 years, and it has taken a pounding and is on its last legs. I need a phone that I can drop without thinking its going to be the end of the world. For my Pre, I used to have this huge, ugly case that made the phone look like garbage but kept it safe. The second I stopped using the case, everything went to crap.

For me at this point it is pretty much coming down to camera VS everything else. I havent seen either screen in person yet to decide which one I like better. The support and additional apps for the Lumia is important to me, especially since HTC went crazy with the subscription pricing for Locations. Also, apparently Nokia is going to release new camera modes for the Lumia. The problem with that is that even with the new modes, if the camera is weak, its weak. Do I really want an ugly panoramic shot?

Im assuming that most people who switch between phones fairly often have to pay the full price of the phone when they do so? I guess if you really need the latest and greatest I can understand, but for me spending close to $600 on a phone is too much. Whatever I get on Monday, I am committed to.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I know no one has mentioned the Focus S but I'll chime in anyway. The focus s has a really good camera. A great indoor and outdoor screen. And is the only one with a free unlock. It can hold its own but it's only fall back is not having LTE. If having LTE is a big thing but if not take a look at the Focus S.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I really cant decide. The only thing it seems most online reviewers can agree on is that the Lumia 900, costs less, but $100 isnt much when you think of it as a 2-year investment. The Lumia 900 SEEMS more durable, which is important. I have had my Palm Pre for 2 years, and it has taken a pounding and is on its last legs. I need a phone that I can drop without thinking its going to be the end of the world. For my Pre, I used to have this huge, ugly case that made the phone look like garbage but kept it safe. The second I stopped using the case, everything went to crap.

For me at this point it is pretty much coming down to camera VS everything else. I havent seen either screen in person yet to decide which one I like better. The support and additional apps for the Lumia is important to me, especially since HTC went crazy with the subscription pricing for Locations. Also, apparently Nokia is going to release new camera modes for the Lumia. The problem with that is that even with the new modes, if the camera is weak, its weak. Do I really want an ugly panoramic shot?

Im assuming that most people who switch between phones fairly often have to pay the full price of the phone when they do so? I guess if you really need the latest and greatest I can understand, but for me spending close to $600 on a phone is too much. Whatever I get on Monday, I am committed to.
I think the best thing for you is to use each phone for 30 days during the buyers remorse period and then decide which is better for you. Start with Titan II and then L900 and then compare the difference for your normal life and decide.

lilb1190

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I can return the phone within 30 days? I guess that changes things! Does it have to be in new condition or can it go through the standard wear-and-tear of a month of use?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
  1. How much better is the camera on the Titan iI than the Lumia. I know megapixels are only half the battle here...
  2. How many people here are currently using the first Lumia 900 that they bought?
  3. How smooth is the Zune Player experience? Am I going to be fighting with it or is it pretty reliable?
  4. Which phone has better speakers? I know the Titan II gets louder, but what about clarity?
  5. Since I dont really use facebook or twitter, will the People hub be much more than a contact list?
  6. Is it better to support a phone that nobody knows exists in order to convince the company to continue using WP7, or should I support the phone with the best chance of getting WP7 in to the game?
  7. Do you ever notice lag from the relatively weak processor?

Thanks

I'm sure my comments will duplicate some of the others, but here goes:

1. Stunningly better. I don't have a Titan II, but a friend does. I DO have a Titan, however, and the pics are considerably better on that.

2. On my first Lumia. Why?

3. Zune is very smooth. It's one of the things friends on other platforms envy on mine. Considerably better than Pandora/last.fm is our consensus.

4. Hmm. Clarity. Well, compared to the Titan I, at least, the Nokia seems clearer and has better treble. The SRS/Audio stuff on the Titan gives it a bit rounder sound and more bass.

5. Mostly a contact list with some benefits. You can hit a contact name to see history (email, texts, etc) with that person and photos if any are shared. I was mostly in the same boat as you, but I will say that WP7 does greatly increase my enjoyment of social networks. Try them, I suggest.

6. Have questioned that, as well. I just don't know.

7. Rarely. Sometimes for network actions- but that might be network related, not CPU?

lilb1190

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Some of that is duplicate, but havent gotten too many answers around the audio. One thing I do like aboue the iPhone is the speakers. They are very impressive for a phone. As far as what you said, I guess I would give that point to the Lumia. I think it is important for there to be some bass when listening to music. If you ever hear some speakers that dont really produce it very well, you certainly notice that something important is missing. Clarity, however, is the most important thing. Since the speakers on a phone are relatively small and the phone itself its dedicated to so many other things, its extra impressive when you have a phone that sounds great. I might be able to spend a little bit of time in the store listening to them if any songs a preloaded.

I was worried about not having a free turn-by-turn navigation app (which is odd becase up utiil a few weeks ago I didnt even know there WHERE free turn-by-turn navigation apps), but I see that there is an app in the marketplace called "Navigation". Has anyone used this? It says its only $5, which is nothing to me if it actually works.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Some of that is duplicate, but havent gotten too many answers around the audio. One thing I do like aboue the iPhone is the speakers. They are very impressive for a phone. As far as what you said, I guess I would give that point to the Lumia. I think it is important for there to be some bass when listening to music. If you ever hear some speakers that dont really produce it very well, you certainly notice that something important is missing. Clarity, however, is the most important thing. Since the speakers on a phone are relatively small and the phone itself its dedicated to so many other things, its extra impressive when you have a phone that sounds great. I might be able to spend a little bit of time in the store listening to them if any songs a preloaded.

I was worried about not having a free turn-by-turn navigation app (which is odd becase up utiil a few weeks ago I didnt even know there WHERE free turn-by-turn navigation apps), but I see that there is an app in the marketplace called "Navigation". Has anyone used this? It says its only $5, which is nothing to me if it actually works.

I had a motorola droid and now have and HTC Trophy and to me both phones have louder speakers than the iphone. My wife has the iphone 4 and my Trophy can drown it out. I would think the Titan 2 and Lumia are both louder than the iphone. Play some youtube videos in the store and see what you think.

As far as navigation if you buy an app make sure it stores the maps on your phone so it doesn't require a data connection. I believe Navigon stores the maps on your phone and there are probably others.

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
  1. I'd imagine the titan's would be better... I think it has more features/settings
  2. Ya okay, I wish
  3. Reliable
  4. I don't know, but judging with my eyes, the lumia seems to have larger speakers
  5. YES
  6. support the phone with the best chance of getting WP7 in to the game!
  7. I have an HTC HD7 (1st gen device) and I notice a lag in some third party apps, but the OS is solid.
Also one more thing I'd like to note... I had a hard time wrapping my long fingers around my HD7 (same screen size as lumia 900). The titans bajillion inch screen seems waaaaay to big and will have a low pixel density (ouch)

And please, the titan II is ugly compared to the lumia. The only benefit I see of the titan is a 16 megapixel camera

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I can return the phone within 30 days? I guess that changes things! Does it have to be in new condition or can it go through the standard wear-and-tear of a month of use?

You can only exchange it once, it the 30 days is for the first time you buy the phone, so if you exchange it at 20 days, you only have 10 days but you can't exchange it again.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I found the screen on the lumia 900 made certain colors look really bad, for example in some games reds were really bright and looked almost neon. I find that the only good thing about the L900 screen is during daylight.

The other bad part about the L900 screen is in low light situtations (bedtime/movie theater) it is too bright even on the lowest setting.

One reason why the boards on the titan II are dead is because there aren't many problems with the phone.

For anybody who says that Nokia apps are better than HTC, I have to disagree, attentive phone I really missed when I had a L900, loved it on my HD7 and Titan II, the camera additions are built into the camera app. Those two are the best, and better than anything that Nokia has. Nokia does have some exclusives when it comes to 3rd party apps, ESPN app is horrible and I would just stick to the ESPN scorecenter app. The CNN app is pretty awesome, but so is the USA Today App in the marketplace. Nokia Drive is pretty neat, as it is free, but Bing Maps does the same thing, all you need to do is press the screen to get directions. the other part of about Nokia Maps, they should have installed it over Bing Maps on the L900, and Nokia Drive should be part of Nokia Maps as one app.

In the end, HTC Titan II feels like a more polished phone then any samsung device. There were too many issues with the L900 that I got I just had enough. HTC Builds quality phones, the enhancements are top of the line. The last thing about HTC, they were the last company to support Windows Mobile, I don't think the support issue is going to be going anywhere. I honestly think that they will come out with branding like (one s,x) type of thing for Windows Phone. Just like the branding on Nokia lumia, iphone (it is a brand), Galaxy, and Nexus.

If you do opt for a titan 2, I would suggest getting a case, the only bad thing is the camera does stick out. the cases that they do sell at the At&t stores should be enough to protect it for the most part. The phone does feel solid in your hand, feel premium.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For me at this point it is pretty much coming down to camera VS everything else.

I think that's about right. I would expect the Titan II to be pretty durable too. HTC doesn't build flimsy phones.

Bottom line is the Titan II is going to take better pictures. The Nokia has a nicer screen, more apps and better odds of getting good support and updates in the future.

Again, both are great. I can't see you buying either one and then kicking yourself later for not getting the other. I would be totally happy with a Titan II, I just prefer the Lumia 900.

If you were talking about an Android phone vs. a Windows Phone, that would be something totally different. :lol:

You're choosing between the two best Windows Phone's the world has ever seen. You cannot make a bad decision here, my friend. :cool:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
One reason why the boards on the titan II are dead is because there aren't many problems with the phone.

The Lumia 900 outsells the Titan II by at LEAST 10 to 1.

There's your answer for the lower number of posts.

The Titan II has problems, just like any newly launched smartphone. Don't kid yourself.

HTC Titan II owners – is yours overheating? | Windows Phone Sauce

FYI HTC Titan ii owners. Issue exists. : windowsphone

Already on my second Titan II - xda-developers

Titan II Sound and Heat Issues - xda-developers

Titan II battery drain issues. - xda-developers

Sound Enhancer Updated Fixed Muffled Call Quality?? - xda-developers

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191736.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191640.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191419.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190714.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190513.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/191161.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190065.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190144.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/190568.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/titan-ii/189681.htm

....so the question is, WHEN you have a problem, which you WILL because every phone does, who do you want to deal with? HTC, which still hasn't fixed problems from the Titan I and doesn't really have much invested in Windows Phone, Or Nokia which releases a software update a WEEK after a problem is discovered and reimburses everyone $100?

For anybody who says that Nokia apps are better than HTC, I have to disagree.

Nokia Drive alone is worth the price of admission. It's arguably the best navigation app on any phone, and it's free, versus paying $10 a month for an inferior product on the HTC. That's $240 over the course of a 2 year contract, PLUS the extra $100 for the phone. $340 right there. Is a slightly better camera worth $340? I can buy a digital camera which will take far better pics than any cell phone for less than $340.

And it doesn't just begin and end with Nokia Drive, there are at least 4 or 5 other Nokia apps you can't get on the HTC and more coming, and that's not even counting the third party exclusives for some popular apps that Nokia has, like Angry Birds Space etc. Of course, those will become available for the HTC in a year or so though...

Like I said, both are great phones. I just want people to make an informed decision based on the facts.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
@socialcarpet, the L900 has much more issues than the Titan II. The L900 has too many hardware issues it isn't funny. The purple Hue is a Hardware issue, not software. the camera takes horrible pictures in low light situations. You don't need Nokia Drive when you have Bing Maps which does directions, you just need to click the screen to get the voice to work. The Attentive phone, and camera additional make the Titan II worth the $100 more than L900.

About having a camera on a phone. Most people don't like carrying a 2nd or 3rd device. It is like carrying around an ipod touch, a flipphone and camera just because each device is better than a standalone device. I would rather carry around one device that can take good pics, be a smartphone and make good phone calls.

the titan II is worth not having to deal with the headache that the L900, it doesn't matter if Nokia supports the phone if the phone is crap. These hardware issues are widespread, it isn't a small problem like with what the Titan has had. I haven't experience any of the problems you mentioned above. Sure if the number you state about the L900 selling 10-1 is correct, make the titan II $100 and see what the number would be then.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There are devices that get past QA, no matter what brand.

I do not have any "purple hue" on my L900. That is not to say it doesn't exist; however, it is not an issue I've had.

None of the reported bugs existed on my device. I didn't even have data issues prior to the OS update.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd personally recommend the Lumia 900. Even though It does not have the monster screen and 16MP camera, it's a phone that will receive the best treatment by Microsoft and Nokia. Nokia is committed to offering a luxurious experience on it's phones, through special apps, amenities, and more. You'll be buying more than just a phone with the Lumia, you'll be buying into the Nokia treatment (which is super awesome).

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
lumia 900, better hardware, and better support from the manufacture. 100% committed, whereas htc only cares about android at this time
this is a no brainer

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720