Windows Phone 7.5 CR3 (Tango) Language Support

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It has been said that nearly 120 languages will be supported in WP Tango. But I cannot find any farther information on this point anywhere. I have some questions regarding this.

1. What is meant by "language support"? Does it mean that key-board for all these languages will be available(read-write), or just ability to read in those languages, or the whole system can be changed into said language?

2. I understand that if it is anything more than "read" support, as in ability to read a webpage in said language, OEMs may remove most languages for localized devices. I want to know that even if additional keyboards are removed, if the ability to read in those languages will remain?

3. I am seeing news of Tango build being pushed and being leaked and customs ROMs. Can anyone please find out personally what additional languages are supported? I am particularly interested about my native tongue, Bengali/Bangla. This site is written in Unicode Bengali/Bangla, গানের কলি (This is a safe site, I promise!). It would be appreciated if anyone could check, please.

Thank you for your patience.

NB: Previously posted on The Verge forums :(

Last edited:

amitsinh.thakur

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
HI... just updated and checked whether devanagari script is displayed on my dell venue pro and no... it is not... MS sucks at this... why cant they provide us with font support... what crap is this about 180 languages being supported... devanagari script is not imp it seems for them...

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some of the fonts like Devanagari are not so easy to implement into the system, that's why they aren't including them into the system, because it would take them so much time, and they're focusing on other languages.
I've googled a bit, and found out that InScript is being used for the standard keyboard layout for Devanagari, and Windows (PC OS) supports it. So maybe they're gonna implement it into Windows 8, and also on WP8, 'cause they share the same kernel.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
When I tried Windows 8, I saw that Bengali (and Devnagari too) is supported in the Metro part, which indicates that they have not removed the font "Vrinda" which enables Unicode support for Bengali. BUT the RT version of Win8, which is more similar to WP8, is different from x86 version, so there are reasons to hold breath.

My wish is, even if they don't implement support for writing in south-east asian languages, as there are considerably more letters in Bengali particularly, at least they would support reading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077