Importing favourites

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok folks please don't tell me that Microsoft didn't include a function to import favourites from IE to a Windows phone in Zune.

Nokia Lumina 710

Last edited:

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Possible workaround

Ok, after Microsoft is indeed doomed because of the lack of this functionality, and after no more work can be done there anyway because management was shipped to China for mopping floors there, I would try some workaround as such:

Take a tool like this one here Favorites 2 HTML and host the resulting HTML in some place under your control and within easy reach of your phone's IE browser.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
It is kinds sad that you can sync bookmarks for every other browser, using 3rd party apps, granted, but we can't sync with IE.

However, I'm confident this will be a non-issue once WP8 & Windows8 are released.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Nice, but only halfway there

;)Try Bookmark Manager from the marketplace.

That program certainly looks nice, with the little restriction that the bookmarks are not true IE bookmarks but only data managed by the app itself that IE knows nothing about. (That's not the fault of the programmer, technical restrictions won't allow to do this any other way.)

I am not sure that this will get better with any next version of WP, e.g. WP8. Many detail aspects of WP7 show that Microsoft is very, very careful about security on WP smartphones; some restrictions of the API border on downright paranoid.

Now, if you allow apps access to IE bookmarks this will bring with it many ways of possible abuse and vectors of attack for malware. Even if only IE itself gets a protocol to directly sync bookmarks with its desktop counterpart this could be subverted by malware, i.e. by connecting to the phone and "playing IE".

I am really not sure Microsoft will risk all this.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well...

I would have to assume that some top level officials are on Apples payroll otherwise it just can't be happening.

That's a nice little conspiracy theory that you have there, with extra credibility derived from a larger font. Watch your back, Microsoft is among the readers here :)

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
The truth hurts sometimes, and so does rock bottom

Thanks

That's a nice little conspiracy theory that you have there, with extra credibility derived from a larger font. Watch your back, Microsoft is among the readers here :)

Last edited:

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I can sync documents, emails, photos etc between the phone and desktop via my live account. I see no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with bookmarks. Sync them to Live. Sync from Live to the phone.

I had Windows 8 beta on my old laptop and just got a new laptop. Installed a fresh beta on the new laptop, signed in with live account, and opened up IE. All my bookmarks were there! We're halfway there MS.

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
So just be happy?

Decided to give it another try, its so smooth
>
I can sync documents, emails, photos etc between the phone and desktop via my live account. I see no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with bookmarks. Sync them to Live. Sync from Live to the phone.

I had Windows 8 beta on my old laptop and just got a new laptop. Installed a fresh beta on the new laptop, signed in with live account, and opened up IE. All my bookmarks were there! We're halfway there MS.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy you Android. Now please GTF out of here. Tired of reading your crying crap. You don't deserve anything from Microsoft

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't deserve anything from Microsoft

Smooth
enjoy you android. Now please gtf out of here. Tired of reading your crying crap. You don't deserve anything from microsoft

sent from my htc surround using board express

Last edited:

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
what are you on man, do you only see and read what you want to hear?
Are you living in a state of complete denial, wake up man and pull yourself together?

Curious in what you get from ms as i personally am a good paying customer with several purchased editions of there os dating back to win 95, including the almost forgotten wmill or code name ?/?oh yeah alta vista.
Enough of the insults too fellow and no need for vulgar language as this is a family show.
:lol:
ok got it!

Last edited:

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok two more days with this phone and still its just as bad as on day one.
1st) No bookmark capability on the phone itself.
2nd) Transferring contacts via BT from old phone is unsuccessful
3rd) Phone can not shut off while charging.
MS better get a patch written for this OS ASAP or else its going to bad news for them.
These are basic functions that have either been deliberately messed up to try and capture the online service market and monitor users in a very devious way or they have just gone mad in Redmond.
I was expecting so much from this OS, what a let down!

1. Are you still talking about importing bookmarks or are you saying that you can't save bookmarks? If the latter, that is incorrect. There is an "add to favorites" option in the browser.

2. Nokia has an app called "Contacts Transfer" which has seemed to work very well for many people.

3. Correct. Not exactly seeing the problem.

It seems you just don't like this OS. You really should use a device that makes you happy. If this isn't it (and you're w/in your 30 day limit), just return it and get something else. Android might be more to your liking. Other than that, all I can say is at least you tried it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea