Has anyone figured out the MicroSD compatability yet?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
When the WP hardware configuration specs were brought out and the first phones began to appear, there was talk about replacing the MicroSDHC card to increase it's onboard memory. There was talk also that only a few specific cards had been certified by Microsoft to work with these phones. Now that it's been about 2 years or so for all this, I still cannot find anything specific about what cards are /are not truly compatible with the phones.

I've read a few threads where it appears that some of the cards are hit/miss. Will work in some, not others. Same card, same specs will work in one phone but somebody else with the same setup has issues with it. Some say it has to be a class4 others say it doesn't.

I'm interested in increasing my Arrive to a 32gb(or more) onboard memory and with the prices of these cards around $30 or less, I'd like to get one and install it.

Any ideas, input, links to threads that give good information would be greatly appreciated.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I think I may have read that thread about the time I got my Arrive and forgot about it. I really don't get over to XDA that much anymore since I can't really unlock my phone and do anything other than what MS says I can do. It's just not as much fun as my old PDA's were when I could load a program to enhance the ROM, or even modding the hardware. I never really played with the Cooked ROMs but installed quite a few "enhancement" features program and system tweaks.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Individuals figured it out and installed successfully, but there is indeed no generally- or officially-endorsed method or card. Microsoft and Samsung did have short lists early on, but I ignored the one I saw because there were no 32gb-cards included. My task was simple that first week last August: get a 32gb card to work, or return the phone. I've had many device challenges over the years and never really doubted that I could get a card to work, even when I started reading the moaning and warning here and elsewhere. Still, I was not naive about the task, nor was I afraid to fail.

Where in the world are you, John? I agree that lo-"class" cards will work fine. I have a class-less 32gb sandisk that has worked flawlessly since I installed it the first week I got my Focus last August. I had not read any of the card stories before I registered here that first week, and I had already ordered the cheapest sandisk one that was available at amazon. The amazon ad, packaging, and card itself had no class designation and I never cared about write-speed, etc. for a phone.

Just do it/try it. Get the card from where you can return it if it doesn't work so you can order and work fearlessly. If you search for my earliest posts, yo? can read my reports. The installation was tricky, even following the user guide directions, but all it took was patience and persistence. Does your user guide have any expansion guidance? Of course, it would be best to find Arrive-specific reports.

My 36.9gb installation is down to 143mb of free space thanks to my Zune Pass. ;)

Good luck with yours.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded my HTC Trophy to a 32 GB class 4 SDHC card. I would stick to sandisk or other recognized brand names.

I can't find the reference anymore, but one thing you should look into is SDHC vs SDXC. 64GB and above cards are SDXC and I read somewhere that WP7, or at least the Trophy can't support the SDXC.

I did find this, though
http://wmpoweruser.com/certified-windows-phone-7-microsd-cards-appear/

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Upon further review...
isnt this a moot point for the OP...
isn't this sprint's original WP phone...
wasn't the arrive not expandable...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Upon further review...
isnt this a moot point for the OP...
isn't this sprint's original WP phone...
wasn't the arrive not expandable...

well like the XDA link , if your willing to wave your warranty open up your phone and change it you can , lol NOT SUGGESTED! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss