Nokia sweetens Bing Maps for everyone

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/bing-maps-now-powered-nokia-traffic-and-geocoding

Today Nokia has announced that their mapping data, specifically traffic info and geocoding ability (more on that in a bit) is powering Microsoft's Bing Mapping services. While this collaboration has been in the works since the Nokia-Microsoft partnership was announced, we're now seeing the results of it.

In short, if you launch your Bing Maps (either on the web or your Windows Phone) and enable Traffic, you'll notice two things right away:

New color codes - green, yellow and red (maybe black?)
More detail - Where once only major roads have it, now we're seeing our local streets with live traffic data

Nokia is now offering what was before only available in their Nokia Maps app to everyone who uses Bing. What's more, that info is available in 24 countries including Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, UK and US.

Besides traffic, there's also geocoding which is something that's very important and here's why: geocoding algorithms take latitude and longitude information and connect them to a "readable address"--basically that whole ability to translate your GPS coordinates into a usable street number and name. Many apps use it, including what powers Foursquare or any app that sends your location e.g. WhatsApp. In theory now, it should be more accurate and help with directions too.

All in all this is great news for everyone on Windows Phone and anyone who uses Bing. We're looking forward to more of this Nokia-Microsoft partnership.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I love when Microsoft does things for the Ecosystem. Kutos to Nokia for providing this to all Windows Phones. It seems like the way Windows Phone will go is Nokia Windows phone and everyone else. I don't like how Nokia does this exclusive app thing, in a sense it fragments the ecosystem of a already limited app field.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I love when Microsoft does things for the Ecosystem. Kutos to Nokia for providing this to all Windows Phones. It seems like the way Windows Phone will go is Nokia Windows phone and everyone else. I don't like how Nokia does this exclusive app thing, in a sense it fragments the ecosystem of a already limited app field.
So by offering Clear Black technology, is Nokia fragmenting the ecosystem (your words) but denying other users this technology. Its called competition, and having a competitive edge. Buy a Nokia if you don't want to feel left out.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Aeon2k

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
On a related note, maybe some Bing maps user from the US can clarify: When starting to type in an adress in the standard maps app does it autocomplete/offer a list of possible matches?

Cause my bing maps doesn't do that (in austria) and I use gmaps as it's more conventient and offers the autocomplete feature.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
@jim, that is just a display, I am talking about the apps. I think it is great that Nokia has helped the ecosystem. I don't like exclusive app thing. Please point out where I said anything about the display? I would love to get a Nokia Windows Phone that didn't have any issues, unfortunately I didn't. I understand app that are made by Nokia only for Nokia phones, but 3rd party exclusives I think are bad for the already limited app field.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

johnsonbrown220

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Maps to replace Bing Maps in Windows Phone 8

Apple has unveiled new TomTom powered maps application. Now Microsoft is likely to follow the same footsteps. According to the latest reports, in upcoming Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system Microsoft will replace Bing Maps with Nokia Maps. Pleasing user interface is provided by the Microsoft's Windows Phone but they lag behind in offering some core applications. Microsoft aims to offer top class mapping and navigation in the upcoming Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system. It has been stated that Nokia's mapping service roped to power the maps in the Windows Phone 8 devices......
:mad::lol::straight:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple has unveiled new TomTom powered maps application. Now Microsoft is likely to follow the same footsteps. According to the latest reports, in upcoming Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system Microsoft will replace Bing Maps with Nokia Maps. Pleasing user interface is provided by the Microsoft's Windows Phone but they lag behind in offering some core applications. Microsoft aims to offer top class mapping and navigation in the upcoming Windows Phone 8 mobile operating system. It has been stated that Nokia's mapping service roped to power the maps in the Windows Phone 8 devices......
:mad::lol::straight:

In a roundabout way, Nokia already owns Bing Maps. Bing uses Navteq for mapping data and Navteq is a subsidy of Nokia. Nokia Maps replacing Bing is nothing but a name change at this point. However, I have a feeling that Bing Maps will stay in America but get replaced by Nokia Maps in certain parts of Europe and other developing countries.

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
@jim, that is just a display, I am talking about the apps. I think it is great that Nokia has helped the ecosystem. I don't like exclusive app thing. Please point out where I said anything about the display? I would love to get a Nokia Windows Phone that didn't have any issues, unfortunately I didn't. I understand app that are made by Nokia only for Nokia phones, but 3rd party exclusives I think are bad for the already limited app field.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
If not for exclusive apps, how would you suggest Nokia differentiates itself from other manufacturers using Windows Phone? In the Android sphere, HTC, Samsung, Sony (and others) differentiate their offerings though annoying UI changes which often add more bloat and ugliness than useful features.

I'd much rather Nokia continues to add value to the software and their offerings with exclusive apps, rather than butchering Microsoft's good work.

Edit: Make no mistake, Nokia is competing with other Windows Phone providers. It's not a cosy brotherhood where they hold hands and work together for the platform -- that is Microsoft's concern. Nokia is interested in drawing consumers to its products, not Samsung's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes