So.. Google copied Windows 8... go to Chrome's app store

jkxwright

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Chrome has a brand new app called "Awesome New Tab Page" and it's a dead rip on windows new operating system. I hope microsoft sues their ***. I attached a screengrab of their new tab page / windows 8 rip.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
...have you seen the Android market in the last, oh, 6ish months? Maybe more? They've been using that design language for a long time.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Apparently everyone likes it judging by the reviews.

Meanwhile, when you look at the comments on YouTube videos for Windows 8, everyone's like "Eww, Metro! I hate these tiles!" and "Windows 8 is the new Vista."

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Apparently everyone likes it judging by the reviews.

Meanwhile, when you look at the comments on YouTube videos for Windows 8, everyone's like "Eww, Metro! I hate these tiles!" and "Windows 8 is the new Vista."

its ether: trollers , haters , or just plain stupid people ... you cant avoid them, they are every where. :giggle:

lool

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Chrome has a brand new app called "Awesome New Tab Page" and it's a dead rip on windows new operating system. I hope microsoft sues their ***. I attached a screengrab of their new tab page / windows 8 rip.

...have you seen the Android market in the last, oh, 6ish months? Maybe more? They've been using that design language for a long time.

yeah apparently the OP hasn't been using the google play store much...

H278

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Figured I'd post and clear up some things here.

jalb is correct. Awesome New Tab Page is not created or affiliated with Google, although I have received praise from a number of Googlers (Google employees) on how dynamic, customizable, and extensible ANTP is.

First and foremost, Microsoft published Metro UI as a design language. They begged developers to embrace it when they published it, and are continuing to do so with even more aggressively with Windows 8. You truly can't blame developers for taking inspiration from a design language they asked us to use.

Second, Awesome New Tab Page's stock tiles are only Metro UI optionally. They can be changed and customized extensively, pretty much down to every pixel in the tile. Installed widgets (which are installed separately from the Chrome Web Store and are mostly made by other developers) can look like Metro UI if the developer designs it that way; most do. Some installed widgets let you change the style, for example, the Awesome Weather Widget which I make lets you use an Android style (which is actually the default if I remember correctly).

Similarly, more inspiration is taken from Android than Windows 8 (and similar). The entire tile resizing experience is entirely from Android's Ice Cream Sandwich. Awesome New Tab Page is grid based (like Android), not list based (like W8). What most of you are really seeing in similarity is just colored rectangles (most of which are squares), which is hardly much of anything.

Third, Awesome New Tab Page is a platform. Its usefulness is determined almost entirely by how many useful widgets there are available. Many users like the variety, which for an extension that's less than half a year old with <100,000 users, it's fairly good. Dynamic widgets for the weather, Gmail, Reddit, Steam, etc. all can be installed and added to your ANTP very easily. To be fair, there are lots of often-requested widgets missing, like dynamic Facebook and Twitter widgets, but these could be made by anyone with the time and competence.

Fourth, Microsoft should be thankful of other developers using their design language. It's a great opt-in transition for users that will make the huge jump into Windows 8 a lot easier. I know that ANTP has already inspired a number of Mac users to buy their first Windows PC when Windows 8 is released based purely on the tile and widget concept.

I agree that Awesome New Tab Page and/or Metro UI isn't for everyone. However, Awesome New Tab Page is an opt-in install (which can be easily removed from Chrome's extensions page). It adds functionality and customizability to your new tab page that every other browser lacks, yet should have.

If you don't find it useful, then please don't use it. My goal is to improve the browsing experience, not diminish it.

As you guys have noticed from the hundreds of positive written reviews (thousands of star-only reviews), most people love Awesome New Tab Page. Not necessarily because it's a bunch of colored rectangles (though aesthetics are very important), but because it brings features to their browser that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

Stay awesome ;)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is actually really nice - just not nice enough to make me want to use Chrome. You should make one for Firefox.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Uhhh... you can't go wrong with Metro I guess??

jkxwright

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Figured I'd post and clear up some things here.

jalb is correct. Awesome New Tab Page is not created or affiliated with Google, although I have received praise from a number of Googlers (Google employees) on how dynamic, customizable, and extensible ANTP is.

First and foremost, Microsoft published Metro UI as a design language. They begged developers to embrace it when they published it, and are continuing to do so with even more aggressively with Windows 8. You truly can't blame developers for taking inspiration from a design language they asked us to use.

Second, Awesome New Tab Page's stock tiles are only Metro UI optionally. They can be changed and customized extensively, pretty much down to every pixel in the tile. Installed widgets (which are installed separately from the Chrome Web Store and are mostly made by other developers) can look like Metro UI if the developer designs it that way; most do. Some installed widgets let you change the style, for example, the Awesome Weather Widget which I make lets you use an Android style (which is actually the default if I remember correctly).

Similarly, more inspiration is taken from Android than Windows 8 (and similar). The entire tile resizing experience is entirely from Android's Ice Cream Sandwich. Awesome New Tab Page is grid based (like Android), not list based (like W8). What most of you are really seeing in similarity is just colored rectangles (most of which are squares), which is hardly much of anything.

Third, Awesome New Tab Page is a platform. Its usefulness is determined almost entirely by how many useful widgets there are available. Many users like the variety, which for an extension that's less than half a year old with <100,000 users, it's fairly good. Dynamic widgets for the weather, Gmail, Reddit, Steam, etc. all can be installed and added to your ANTP very easily. To be fair, there are lots of often-requested widgets missing, like dynamic Facebook and Twitter widgets, but these could be made by anyone with the time and competence.

Fourth, Microsoft should be thankful of other developers using their design language. It's a great opt-in transition for users that will make the huge jump into Windows 8 a lot easier. I know that ANTP has already inspired a number of Mac users to buy their first Windows PC when Windows 8 is released based purely on the tile and widget concept.

I agree that Awesome New Tab Page and/or Metro UI isn't for everyone. However, Awesome New Tab Page is an opt-in install (which can be easily removed from Chrome's extensions page). It adds functionality and customizability to your new tab page that every other browser lacks, yet should have.

If you don't find it useful, then please don't use it. My goal is to improve the browsing experience, not diminish it.

As you guys have noticed from the hundreds of positive written reviews (thousands of star-only reviews), most people love Awesome New Tab Page. Not necessarily because it's a bunch of colored rectangles (though aesthetics are very important), but because it brings features to their browser that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

Stay awesome ;)
initial '*****er' here. I'm using and enjoying your platform man. keep it up! just got pissed for the reasons i stated but am over it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786