Why does everyone love Nokia so much?

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just love my Nokia for what it is. The fantastic build quality is not something I easily would give up. I don't care enough about the behind-the-scenes stuff to Not buy a Nokia. Well I could, but at least they have not pulled a Sony or anything...

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung don't even release their whole range in Europe, HTC's quality has gone downhill and their commitment to Windows Phone seems half hearted (speaking as a not very happy Titan owner) so when Nokia admit and fix issues on their phones I sit up and take notice. On my Titan there are sound issues, reboots when I use too much storage and the navigation app is a 30 day trial: when faced with these issues it's not difficult to make a decision on my next phone.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Being a T-mobile user, I've been drowning in mediocre Android phone obscurity for some time. The Nokia phones, even the middle of the road offerings purchased by T-mobile where just a fresh change of pace. My only regret is that T-mobile didn't get the 800 or 900.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, well; If any of the others made some decent looking hardware to go with this OS I would propably love them as well. I might even have gone for a HTC if they had made a revamped Legend with WP! But as it is now all the HTCs remind me to much of Android and I never really cared much for Samsung, it feels to much like plastic. And Voila, choosen by exclusion.....

Sure the 800 and 900 are iterations of the N9, but they would have been fools if they had just turned their backs on that design line. It is amazing and I hope they can stay true to it for years to come. (will be hard though if they have to fit a Pureview camera in it)

Besides this there is history, my first (second and third) cellphones was Nokias and through the years of Symbian Sony Ericssons, a Razzr, BlackBerries and back to Sony Ericsson Android I was forever missing some of that simple elegance that the first Nokias had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. well it was 7billion to be exact. lol

by doing this they became the FLAG SHIP for WP and by this they get access to more API's and exclusive apps witch makes them more attractive then other WPs ( just the exclusive apps probably give them 40% of WP shares , just like the first WP to get Dual-core will be probably break all WP records in sales..)

that's not counting all the free publicity they get from AT&T and on their own(with the 7bill from MS )

If HTC doesn't advertise WP as much as they advertise Android .. then to bad for them. until they do ... they can cry me a river for all i care... same thing with Samsung

2. you dint mention it , but I Like Samsung over any phone right now :) seriously Samsung make some of the best hardware and they get no recognition for it ( on WP ) although their second gen WP wasn't that exiting im hoping the WP8 from Samsung will be good :)

If Sammy made a Galaxy Note running WP, I would be first in line to pick one up :D

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, the Radar and the Titan 1, had a marketing blitz. I see no marketing blitz for the Titan 2. They had a bunch of stuff in New York and Europe for the Radar and Titan.... I think what has happened is that HTC has no money to spend, or they have poor relationships with the carriers.

HTC has been the #1 supporter of Windows Mobile and Windows Phone for the Last 5 years. I think it is a great that Microsoft and Nokia have teamed up. I don't think the App Exclusivity to Nokia for 3rd party apps is a good thing for the ecosystem but I also understand they put money up to do this, and I respect that.

I think what would be even better is if Microsoft Bought Nokia and put apps into the marketplace for all users. :)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Pretty obvious at this point: We love Nokia, because it saved our OS. HTC and Sammy will up their game, or get left behind. Nokia will own the market for WP and have a worldwide name to bring with it.

I love my Focus S, but I realize my OS is tied to Nokia's success.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
$1billion dollar is peanuts in this battle of the smartphone OS's. Elop decided to move to WP because after many years, many attempts and billions of dollars burned Nokia still had no viable modern smartphone OS, complete with "ecosystem", and in his opinion no chance to build one itself within a reasonable time frame.

That opinion is debatable and of course was and is fiercly debated, but still there sure is much more behind Nokia's move to WP than simply a payment of a billion from Microsoft.

Nokia had their Ovi ecosystem. The problem was that they let Symbian basically rot. The Version history tells the story. They depended too much on their low margin Feature/Dumb phone market/profits in an era where smartphone adoption rates were astronomical. As a result Symbian plateaued at a bad place and they simply couldn't compete with the Android/RIM/low cost older iPhone models in those lower cost markets as people moved from Nokia Dumbphones to Entry-Level smartphones (Low Cost Androids, Curves, and older iPhone models).

They were too distracted on side-projects like Meego when they should have instead been pouring those resources into revamping Symbian's UI and making it a bit less painful to develop for (standardizing the toolkits, etc.) and use. They lost focus, and they paid for it.

If Nokia had Symbian Belle in mid 2010 I think things could look different, especially if they used competitive hardware and could get their devices subsidized in the US. Their Unlocked device prices were ridiculous. The ecosystem failed because the platform they used to push it was failing.

The payment from Microsoft is something you'd expect, since you cannot expect a company like Nokia to switch platforms and pony up their own money for R&D (Maps, Drive, Music, etc. didn't auto-port themselves to WP7, and Developers have to eat) and Advertising for the new platform, among other things. This is how things work in the business world.

Nokia went with WP7 because they want to be a top-tier player in the ecosystem they choose, and WP7 allowed that.

What will be interesting to see is how things play out once Microsoft stops limiting the hardware that other OEMs can use. When HTC can bring things like ImageSense to WP8 and Samsung can use their own fantastic SoC/GPUs in their phone, use 720p screens, etc. it will get a bit more competitive.

We will see.

I think people like Nokia's devices because they use decent materials for their phones. After enduring a lot of plastic smartphones it can be quite a breath of fresh air for some people. There is also value in some of their OEM apps - moreso than most other WP7 OEMs.

I am not sure how Nokia "saved WP7." That implies the platform is that bad and needs a pretty shell to sell it, instead of on its own merits. It's not like Nokia's marketing here is fantastic.

To me Nokia and Microsoft's partnership isn't much different than Verizon's Droid partnership with Motorola was... Maybe it will have similar effects, only time will tell.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think people like Nokia's devices because they use decent materials for their phones. After enduring a lot of plastic smartphones it can be quite a breath of fresh air for some people. There is also value in some of their OEM apps - moreso than most other WP7 OEMs.

I am not sure how Nokia "saved WP7." That implies the platform is that bad and needs a pretty shell to sell it, instead of on its own merits. It's not like Nokia's marketing here is fantastic.

To me Nokia and Microsoft's partnership isn't much different than Verizon's Droid partnership with Motorola was... Maybe it will have similar effects, only time will tell.
I had Nokia Symbian devices in the past. Nokia Maps/Drive/Transit played a big part in my decision of a Nokia device rather than an HTC device.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There's no "HTC Windows Phone". There's no "Samsung Windows Phone". The only words you'll hear regarding the platform are "Nokia", and "Lumia".

I greatly appreciate HTC as a company and like that they threw a lot of devices behind the platform earlier on. However, they never sold Windows Phones to consumers, they just assumed they would sell / not sell. I've never seen a Windows Phone ad by HTC off the web. They've also done nothing interesting on the software end, where OEMs are supposed to differentiate (unless you count them attempting to port their Sense UI over with their hub).

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the dislike of other OEMs like HTC, Samsung, LG and so on. That ill-will isn't necessarilly as a result of their Windows Phone offerings.

Many people on these forums speak of the terrible experiences they've had with Android handsets, myself among them; and while the majority of their issues stem from problems or things they don't like about the OS, it puts people off the manufacturers too.

I vote with my wallet and there's not a force on earth that could make me buy/use another Samsung/LG/HTC phone. For me it's not that Nokia are the gods of smartphone making; they just haven't pissed me off yet.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
seriously Samsung make some of the best hardware and they get no recognition for it ( on WP )

I suspect that the NoDo upgrade fiasco with the Samsung Focus has something to do with that... At least for me. Amusingly enough my Samsung-made Galaxy Nexus has gotten multiple upgrades without any problem, but WP7 is clearly the red-headed stepchild in the Samsung lineup. So when my ur-Focus started glitching I avoided the otherwise-excellent Focus S and went with Nokia.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
For a while Nokia had proven to stick behind their products. With the rising it still holds true. I like HTC. Bought a few android devices from them. They honestly just have too many phones to stay totally dedicated to them all. And the windows phones seem to be on the back burner. But out of the box HTC makes some decent phones. Nokia is staying dedicated to their WP devices. Yes, it probably because this is their hope for a savior, but oh well it is what it is.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing. I talked to a rep when I got my 800 and he was not to keen on Nokia because, as he claimed, they are doing too many updates instead finishing the product before it was launched.

We all know that is not possible, no matter how much testing is done there will always be small glitches in either the Hardware or the software.

This just reminded Me of My reply at the moment: At least they fix it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the dislike of other OEMs like HTC, Samsung, LG and so on. That ill-will isn't necessarilly as a result of their Windows Phone offerings.

Many people on these forums speak of the terrible experiences they've had with Android handsets, myself among them; and while the majority of their issues stem from problems or things they don't like about the OS, it puts people off the manufacturers too.

I vote with my wallet and there's not a force on earth that could make me buy/use another Samsung/LG/HTC phone. For me it's not that Nokia are the gods of smartphone making; they just haven't pissed me off yet.

I think this is the issue for a lot of people. People have bad experiences with a company/manufacturer and don't touch them ever again. Personally, I've never really had a bad experience with a phone so I don't know what it's like. I go with what my instincts tell me to buy, and what communities say about devices when I'm ready to buy.

Me and my sister both have an HTC Droid Incredible, my DInc is practically perfect. My sisters however is a disaster. Right from the get-go she was receiving storage errors, and issues about applications. Now what does that tell me or her? Since I had a good experience with my DInc I have no problem with HTC, but she has had a terrible experience with HTC and possibly may put her off from ever buying another HTC product.

It really comes down to personal experiences, and we can only put the blame on the manufacturer because if we blame the OS we'll just switch OS's. If you hate Android/iOS/WP, and you end up switching to a different OS/platform... that just starts another reason to ****** one product and hate another. I like Android, but I hate what manufacturers do to them (custom skins, bloatware, etc). What really turns me off is the lack of optimization. Android isn't as clean as WP, and to me that's a huge game changer. I want a WP device, because I've seen how smooth and reliable they are compared to Android devices.

Would I buy a WP device from HTC? No, I wouldn't. Why? because if the community I've invested in is having an outcry of faulty devices why would I take a chance and go down that line. Would I buy a device from Nokia? Not right now I wouldn't because they still have issues of their own to fix. Samsung? I've only owned one Samsung device, and I don't think I'll be returning to Samsung again.

Does the contract make Nokia better then HTC/Samsung? It does, because it makes them a FLAG SHIP provider. Dedication, Advertisements, the whole kit-n-caboodle.. makes Nokia top-notch from what I've seen. WP needs a company that is going to stand behind them 100% and see things through until the end. I wish WP was a one handset type of device, like Apple's iPhone... It would be a lot better to have a low-cost reliable handset available to everyone. Nonetheless, this is reality and here we are.

Nokia is just going to do what they can to make sure they make profit, and Microsoft makes profit from WP. No one can blame them for that. We just have to jump on the bandwagon and make sure Nokia does a good job at getting WP to the goal.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Its because Nokia is putting in work. Hence what everybody is saying they are treating Windows Phone like its their own OS.

Yes they went with Windows Phone which was a great idea. If they went with Android they would have to battle with the big boys right away so Nokia would be pushing high cost dual core phones trying to get recognition against the Galaxy's and the HTC One series and I dont think they can keep up.

Look at Android's refresh schedule its like every 6 months Nokia cant do that right now they dont have the resources. Going with Windows Phone it allows them to focus on 1 - 3 phones a year and apply quality updates to them. They dont need a flood of phones they need flagship phones at every price range and so far they have been doing that.

All I have to say is if Nokia wants to be successful they need to have more than just phones.

People buy iPhones because they see Apple everywhere
People buy Samsung because they see Samsung everywhere

Not everybody sees Windows everywhere. People use Windows but when you look at a Windows laptop you always see the brand name like Toshiba on the back. You never see a Windows logo only when you open it up.

Nokia and Windows branding needs to be everywhere in order for Nokia and Windows to take off.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not everybody sees Windows everywhere. People use Windows but when you look at a Windows laptop you always see the brand name like Toshiba on the back. You never see a Windows logo only when you open it up.

Nokia and Windows branding needs to be everywhere in order for Nokia and Windows to take off.

I would not necessarily say that is the case. If one's laptop is not a Mac, chances are it is running Windows; not many folks run Linux or Unix.

Even if one has a Mac, he could be running Windows on it. I spotted a guy in Starbucks running Windows 7 and Visio on his MacBook Pro. It made sense, since there is no Visio for Macs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon