Best navigation app?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have Nokia device then Nokia Drive. If not then Turn by turn because you can download the maps off line. and it works well.. Garmin is pretty good too but way more money..

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Navigon is what I use every day. I do have Garmin as well it is a great all around travel app. I have experianced buggy navegation on some devices with Garmin.

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Ever since Nokia Maps added the off-line search capability in version 2 of their free navigation software, it's been serving me well. Consider Navigon if you're not using a Nokia phone - it's expensive, but from what I've seen and read, it's quite feature rich and works very, very well.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was using Navigon on my Titan. It's an expensive but great app. Now my girl has my Titan and I'll be using Nokia Drive, though I'll just re-download Navigon to my Lumia if Nokia Drive doesn't work out for me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nokia Drive and Garmin on my HTC Trophy. The Nokia Drive is nice but, very basic in the navi setup. It does not have the advanced features as Garmin does.

I use Garmin 95% of the time. It finds what I need the best out of both of them. It does need signal, so some questionable areas, I see the main road but, not surrounding roads (as cell service was not great in the area).

If you have a Nokia device, then might as well try the Nokia Drive to see if it fits your needs. I perfer the Garmin, it just seems they have the experiance with these devices and it shows. The price is the problem with it being $30..

I do wish Tomtom came out for Windows Phone 7, That was my favorite on my WM6.5 devices. I would even give up a gig or so for maps...

I would prefer something that fully fits in with Windows phone 7, not just an app. I do wish Microsoft had the right to make a turn by turn navi... Both the Nokia and Garmin feel like what they are, 3rd party apps(nothing from contacts or other parts of the phone, to route to a contact, etc.).

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Navigon is $35
Garmin Street Pilot is $30

You said you wanted the best navigaton app, I think it comes between these two.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Is Navigon actually good? When I used to look at GPS hardware, I always saw Garmin & TomTom as a cut above the rest. Found something very frustrating recently - Nokia Maps has a nearby suburb (where I take the train) spelled wrong, and Bing Maps can't even find the railway station.

gMaps Pro found it instantly.

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
helastfoiter-

Now that I see Navigon is just $35 (it's normally listed at $50, and may easily go back up as they do tend to lower the price every once in while for a very short while), get this one.

If you have a Nokia device, see if you like the free Nokia Drive app instead before purchasing, but if you want the BEST, get the Navigon. If you have an HTC phone, consider their free alternative called Locations

WPCentral actually did a review of the software if you're interested..
http://www.windowscentral.com/navigon-review

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After the reviews here, I'm going to give Navigon a full play, to see if I really like it better than Garmin. As I said, I would buy a Tomtom app tomorrow if it came out, because I liked their feature set better.

Maybe someone knows. During a route, you want to find a coffee shop (dunkin donuts) for example, does any of the systems find it and make it part of your route (the closest one on your route with out taking you too far out of your way)?

I try to do this with Garmin and it will take me 5 miles out of my way, when I get back on the highway, 8 miles down, I can see one off the highway...(pointless)

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
After the reviews here, I'm going to give Navigon a full play, to see if I really like it better than Garmin. As I said, I would buy a Tomtom app tomorrow if it came out, because I liked their feature set better.

Maybe someone knows. During a route, you want to find a coffee shop (dunkin donuts) for example, does any of the systems find it and make it part of your route (the closest one on your route with out taking you too far out of your way)?

I try to do this with Garmin and it will take me 5 miles out of my way, when I get back on the highway, 8 miles down, I can see one off the highway...(pointless)
I like how smooth Garmin is and full featured, much better than standard bing ****, I'll give Navigon a go as well.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
As soon as Navigon Drops to $24.99 I am in. It's been there once before, so I know it can happen again. I know it's only $10, below the current sale but I have a built in Navigation on my car, and wife has Navigon on her....iphone.

I don't need it, but I sorta want it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As soon as Navigon Drops to $24.99 I am in. It's been there once before, so I know it can happen again. I know it's only $10, below the current sale but I have a built in Navigation on my car, and wife has Navigon on her....iphone.

I don't need it, but I sorta want it.

Same here, I have factory Navi in my car as well but, the maps are 3 years old and when they want $300+ for a update, it's much cheaper to use my phone when my factory system does not find a newer road.

My wife does not have Navi, so when in her car, I use my phone...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Navigon. I tried the Nokia Drive, but instead of street names, it just says "Turn left in 50 feet." Maybe it's just my area, but whatever the reason that won't work for me at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa