Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    So While i really want a Windows 8 device, it seems that VZW grandfathered unlimited 4G LTE data will be long gone by the time a VZW windows 8 device hits, SO...................
    I was reading this:

Pre-order the Galaxy SIII From Verizon and You Keep Your Unlimited Data Plan – Droid Life

I must admit i a very tempted to pre order this, i currently have unlimited 3G data on my vzw wp7.5 device and would love to be grandfathered into Unlimited 4G LTE thru vzw! VZW has said if you pre-order the Galaxy S3 you will continued to be grandfathered in LTE unlimited data...........
    The Specs are awesome DUAL CORE Snapdragon S4 CPU, Adreno 225 GPU, 2GB of RAM!

I guess i can run this Windows Phone 7.5 launcher on my Galaxy S3
    Review: Launcher 7 on Android – Droid Life

Then when Windows Phone 8 hits i can just switch my sim with Unlimited 4G LTE data to a Windows 8 device...........

Anyone else trying this?

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    My understanding is that you can keep your unlimited data plans going forward on Verizon provided you buy you phones outright. So, start saving now and just buy your WP8 device with cold hard cash, and you're golden.
    Regards,
    Joel Rushworth
    Victoria, B.C.

Nokia 6188 - AudioVox PPC6600 - HTC 8125 - Lg eXpo GW820 - Lumia 710 - Lumia 920 - Lumia 1020
    You could always sell the S3 if big red gets an Apollo device you like. As long as you buy your devices outright you're golden!
    Much better to just buy the device outright when it's released than to spend 3 months on an inferior Android device.

Get it, then sell it when WP8 is out.

Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    If you have a 3g unlimited plan you can keep it, but if you upgrade to a 4g device down the road you lose it.
    If you have a lte unlimited plan and upgrade to a new lte device you can keep it, but if you upgrade to an lte2 device down the road, you lose it as well. The plans are built on device capabilities. If they have higher capabilities then they require them as plans, even if those services are not available in your area. So even if you buy a phone outright, it depends on the device whether or not they will allow you to keep the unlimited data. So to keep unlimited data you need to have a 4g phone and plan asap, But they will prolly pull an at&t deal and throttle people anyways since that is becoming the standard

I wouldn't count on being able to keep unlimited data even if you don't get a new contract. If you're on month to month then they can change the terms whenever they want.

Sure, they'll let you keep it at the beginning, but as people sign 2 year deals and switch to limited data there will be fewer and fewer people left on unlimited. At some point there will be so few left that they won't be able to complain loud enough when VZ squashes their unlimited data.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I've had a few Android phones, and used Launcher 7 pro on all of them. Yes, it works better than most launchers, and does a decent job mimicking the WP7 look, but eventually the problems with all Android phones crop up. Slows down, force closes, etc. Also, the smoothness of WP7 just isn't there with Launcher 7 - though the numerous customization options are nice. I especially liked using my own icons and widgets.

Good luck - the GS3 is a nice device. I'll hold out hope Samsung releases a WP8 device that looks similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Get it, then sell it when WP8 is out.
    Seriously, this seems like a no brainer.

Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Verizon has already come out and stated that anyone buying phones outright can keep their plans. There is no "3g/4g" etc plan, just unlimited, 2gb, etc plans. So just wait to buy a phone for somewhere around $5-600 around Christmas time.

if i were you, i would wait till this autumn ! for many powerful products will be released during this time.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Get it, keep it sealed in it's box. Sell it as soon as you get it for as much as you can (value will be high now). Keep the SIM, put it in whatever you have, you can get by on what you've got for a few months yet.

When it comes to Apollo, it looks live Verizon will be releasing a Windows Phone 8 device - get that money you got from the sale of the SGS3 and purchase whatever they've got.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammered Pizza View Post
    Get it, keep it sealed in it's box. Sell it as soon as you get it for as much as you can (value will be high now). Keep the SIM, put it in whatever you have, you can get by on what you've got for a few months yet.

When it comes to Apollo, it looks live Verizon will be releasing a Windows Phone 8 device - get that money you got from the sale of the SGS3 and purchase whatever they've got.
    As far as I know, Verizon phones don't have sim cards. Its more of a pain in the **** than you think to switch phones on Verizon.

Global Posts
    1,933 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    As far as I know, Verizon phones don't have sim cards. Its more of a pain in the **** than you think to switch phones on Verizon.
    Says who ? Verizon has ESN numbers(well all CDMA based carrers do), your right about the SIm, they are added on for world travel. You can go on to their website "My verizon" log in and change your ESN with no issues. I used to swap phones ever other day with no issues (yea, I had different colored WM devices at one point).

Calling them up is not an issue, I have done that as well. They dont (at least they didn't) charge for this.

Only catch, if you do it on line, make sure you do the same type of device, dont go back to a old flip phone or something if you have unlimited data, it will change your plan to reflect the type of phone you have, it does warn you tho...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I'm from Britain where things are simpler, but what DavidinCT says seems legit :P

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Much better to just buy the device outright when it's released than to spend 3 months on an inferior Android device.
    Nah. I just picked up the EVO LTE and its given me a whole new appreciation for Windows Phone more so than before.

And to address the OP's original question, you don't know when a new Windows Device will drop on Verizon. Depending on your usage its possible the capped plans may be a savings for you but otherwise its better to upgrade now and keep your unlimited options wide open. The SGIII should hold decent value until a WP device can ship and you can buy off contract. I'm just going to give my EVO to another family member who wants it anyway and I'll use their upgrade to get a Windows Phone 8... unless they get jealous!

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    Says who ? Verizon has ESN numbers(well all CDMA based carrers do), your right about the SIm, they are added on for world travel. You can go on to their website "My verizon" log in and change your ESN with no issues. I used to swap phones ever other day with no issues (yea, I had different colored WM devices at one point).

Calling them up is not an issue, I have done that as well. They dont (at least they didn't) charge for this.

Only catch, if you do it on line, make sure you do the same type of device, dont go back to a old flip phone or something if you have unlimited data, it will change your plan to reflect the type of phone you have, it does warn you tho...
    Well my only experience with switching Verizon phones is through my work - and it was a pain the couple of times I did it. The first time I could make phone calls out but not receive phone calls. The second time I could only receive phone calls from land lines but not other cell phones. It was really weird.

Just bad luck, I guess.

Kinda bogus that in order to keep unlimited LTE you have to use the GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    I've had a few Android phones, and used Launcher 7 pro on all of them. Yes, it works better than most launchers, and does a decent job mimicking the WP7 look, but eventually the problems with all Android phones crop up. Slows down, force closes, etc. Also, the smoothness of WP7 just isn't there with Launcher 7 - though the numerous customization options are nice. I especially liked using my own icons and widgets.

Good luck - the GS3 is a nice device. I'll hold out hope Samsung releases a WP8 device that looks similar.
    This.

If you want to resign, I would do so pretty soon. Verizon is changing their pricing structure and it doesn't look that good to me.

Verizon hikes data fees in pricing revamp - Yahoo! News

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Wow
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...