Microsoft on the losing end of full 3D maps?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple announced today that they are bringing full 3D maps to iOS6, and last week Google announced that they will introduce full 3D cities in Google Earth and offline Google Maps.

Nokia offers full 3D maps, but the company they were going through, C3 Technologies, was purchased by Apple. So where does that leave Microsoft?

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
iOS6 does sound/look like it will be pretty good. I hope WP8 software has a lot to offer.

Even the iFanboys are saying iOS6 wasn't a major update and should have been a 5.x build. Nothing amazing on that jeynote IMO. Let's hope June 20 brings more joy.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia & Microsoft are merging their maps, are they not? Nokia licenses the 3D mapping from Apple already AFAIK, so it could just become Microsoft licensing it from Apple or creating its own service.

That said, I find 3D useless. Street view and building floor plans would be far more useful.

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I think MS should go talk to Google now that they have been ditched by Apple. They need to get the full 3d maps, street view, everything built in. If not, get them to make an app. Honestly, Bing maps sucks, especially here in the UK, and at the moment Nokia maps is exclusive to Lumia phones. MS need to take advantage of Apple getting rid of Google Maps.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think MS should go talk to Google now that they have been ditched by Apple. They need to get the full 3d maps, street view, everything built in. If not, get them to make an app. Honestly, Bing maps sucks, especially here in the UK, and at the moment Nokia maps is exclusive to Lumia phones. MS need to take advantage of Apple getting rid of Google Maps.

Or maybe MS should work on making their own mapping solution better.....

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope MS makes their own mapping better. Doesn't Nokia have access or own one of the biggest and best GPS or mapping companies out there? I'm sure MS intended to take advantage of that when they struck the deal with Nokia.

One thing I miss about the Google Map on my old iPhone was drop pins. It seems trivial, but it was an easy way to mark where I parked in the city and find my way back without addresses. I don't see that on Bing or Nokia maps...or am I just missing it?

ilLogikAL

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you hold down a spot on the map...u can pin a location. Only one is allowed per map but what you can do is pin a tile of that location on your home screen. You then can pin other locations on your home screen if you want multiple points of interest.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
what real benefit does 3d mapping bring? honestly? would you use it for navigation?

what we need is a quality turn by turn guidance with live traffic reports. never used nokia drive, but thats all i want.

this 3d mapping is a gimmick just like 3d tv's, it creates hype, but nobody will use them

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
lol wut! No turn-by-turn for the iPhone 4!

iPhone 3GS and 4 won't get turn-by-turn directions and flyover feature in iOS 6 maps | The Verge

While Apple may have the majority of its customers using the latest version of iOS, every new software update typically breaks compatibility with a round of older devices. iOS 6 is no exception — we've already learned that the original iPad and third-generation iPod touch wouldn't receive the update at all, but even devices receiving iOS 6 will miss out on some key features. Most notably, only A5 or A5x devices (the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and new iPad) will get to use the new Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation features in iOS 6. Apple doesn't give a reason for this, so we can't say for sure that the older processor in other iOS devices is the limiting factor here, though it's certainly something all the eligible devices have in common. The iPhone 4 also won't be able to take advantage of Facetime over cellular networks, with the phone's A4 processor again potentially being the limiting factor there.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
how often do you even use 3d maps...... i dont even use street view.. lol

so w/e hopefully it doesn't hurt MS to much ... but MS will probably have it to in WP8

wait till june 20th.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720