GPS says in Akron OH until reboot?

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else seeing this? Getting reports from friends and colleagues on AT&T that this started yesterday, and I am seeing it too. Curious if anyone else is, and what phone/carrier too if so.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

BroMarduk

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Both my girlfriend's an my phone are showing the same behavior.

Currently in Houston, TX, but the phone is switching between my actual location and Akron, OH (the same location, near Akron General Medical Center). Rebooting sometimes helps, other times it goes right back to Akron. Sometimes it starts to go to Houston for a brief second then makes the jump to Akron.

Its a Nokia Lumia 900 on AT&T (both of our phones are)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you inside or outside? My GPS shows my proper location when I'm outside or in the car. Reboot isn't needed.

If I'm inside a building it shows I'm in Akron. But I never tried, nor expected, GPS to work inside anyway.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

BroMarduk

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It happens inside, outside, out in the car...doesn't seem to matter. Never used to be an issue as the assisted GPS seems to work (normally) when true GPS does not.

Anyway, at least we know we are not the only ones with the issue.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a weird location reading yesterday when in Atlanta. I think it was Ohio but not sure. GPS has been a little odd in the last week.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's happening to all the LeBron haters out there. Stuck in Akron as payback. I told y'all Karma was a b**ch. Go Heat!!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

I used to have a problem with my Droid, it would always throw me into OH at home (I live in the Detroit area) because of our Network Extender (femtocell). The Trophy/WP7 doesn't. But that is using the geolocation based on IP I believe....I wonder if the AT&T cell system was messed up to a point where the data was all funneling through an OH center or something?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here but it sounds like the problems being reported are due to A-GPS services. My DVP has a stand-alone GPS and I've yet to encounter this problem. What do you guys (and gals) have? Is there any way to switch LBS on WP7 as there was on webOS?

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed it too. My 4th and Mayor app keeps saying Akron, Ohio. I thought it was an app issue, guess not. Hopefully things will get fixed.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I was in California the 8th through the 16th and navigated extensively between Belmont Shore and Carmel. Although I'd ocassionally leave radio range, Bing Maps showed it's stuff all week, including always finding my location -even when our girl announced losing radio contact, I still got the diamond tracking my route throughout. BTW, the accuracy and GPS speed of my Focus easily bested whatever my friend had on his iphone from day 1, and we relied exclusively on Bing all week.

Back home now, I just clicked on Me in Maps and I am where thought I was. (disclaimer: I am pro-LJ)

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I had my phone turned off for a quick minute. When I had turned it on, I was busy watching the tube, (those Spanish soap operas know how to suck you in). Finally, when I turned on the device. I noticed my little AmazingWeather tile saying Akron. Me knowing my states, and some cities in it. I'm a California native. Never been North East ever so I was confused. It refreshed then it said North Hollywood, CA. Weird.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see it's not just me. First started on Saturday. I was located in Ohio as well. Tried to check in on Foursquare and noticed it. Had to restart the phone to correct. Today, my Accucentral started off in Ohio and so did my Craigslist app. Something is going on. I'm pretty sure it isn't the devices if it's so many.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, didn't AT&T just recently launch their LTE network in Akron? I mean, this is only happpening to me on LTE, if I'm on 4G it's normal. Could it be that launch screwed everything up? Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99