Confirmed: Microsoft releasing their own tablet called Surface

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope MS has something extra special to differentiate their hardware from all the other OEMs that are releasing a Windows 8 tablet this fall.

Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet: meet the new Surface -- Engadget

microsoft-surface-2012.jpg

More Pictures

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Looking quite nice I must say. I like that they've taken basically what 3rd parties had to do for iPad covers and produced them right from the start.

That said, I'll not be getting one. Far more interested in true hybrid devices like the ones ASUS announced at Computex. I want a device that can be both a good laptop and a good tablet. Not a good tablet and a poor semi-laptop; as for me, the laptop element is the more important one.

Really nice to see though, genuinely looks like a lot of thought as gone into the making of it, would be nice to see Microsoft own brand hardware gain some traction, would really force the likes of Samsung, Lenovo et al to up their game.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
As I was watching various live blogs, my macbook shed a single tear. It knew its days were numbered, that it was a failed experiment. It had tried to convert me. It got worried two weeks ago when I started dual-booting Windows 8. Today, when it saw the excitement on my face as the Surface was revealed, it knew it was only a matter of time before it found its way to craigslist and into the hands of some hipster college artist.

I will own a Surface on launch day. Likely an RT, but if it comes in at $800 or less, the x86 isn't out of the question.

PS: Tis thread probably belongs in the Tablet Discussion sub-forum.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Looking quite nice I must say. I like that they've taken basically what 3rd parties had to do for iPad covers and produced them right from the start.

That said, I'll not be getting one. Far more interested in true hybrid devices like the ones ASUS announced at Computex. I want a device that can be both a good laptop and a good tablet. Not a good tablet and a poor semi-laptop; as for me, the laptop element is the more important one.

Really nice to see though, genuinely looks like a lot of thought as gone into the making of it, would be nice to see Microsoft own brand hardware gain some traction, would really force the likes of Samsung, Lenovo et al to up their game.

From some of the pictures I've seen, it appears there will also be a true keyboard dock available similar to what ASUS has done with its Transformer line.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
From some of the pictures I've seen, it appears there will also be a true keyboard dock available similar to what ASUS has done with its Transformer line.

Its not quite the same. It is also a cover (called the Type Cover). It has no ports ot battery like the Asus, but is more portable. It has physical keys but they only have 1.5 mm of travel. I think I'll be getting a Touch Cover in red.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading the comments coming from sister sites iMore and AndroidCentral. Comments on both sites seem very positive. Microsoft may have just created a whole new market. The tablet (iPad and Android tablets) were created to be a consumption device between your phone and your computer/laptop. This seems to go in-between tablets and laptops. Need a new laptop? Sell your tablet (if you have one) and just get the Windows 8 pro model to cover both. This is big.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I like what I see, but wish we had pricing and a release date of around August at the latest.
Seeing as Windows 8 is rumored for October, an August release for these seems somewhat unlikely.

As long as it's out before the next iPad I expect it will do reasonably well. Assuming that Apple doesn't sue them in to oblivion for the magnetic power and case connectors. Or for it having a screen with a bezel around it. Or for whatever other mad reason they can come up with.

Pricing and battery life are going to be massively important though. As more of a consumption device, the RT version has to either match or undercut the iPad's ?479 (wifi)/?579 (3g/wifi) prices which I can't imagine will be an easy task; and must offer at least 8-10 hours of battery life. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's going to be dead on arrival.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As Apple marks up all their stuff 100-200% (hence the huge profits) Microsoft should have no problem competing on price, with maybe a very respectable 25% profit margin.

What does this mean. For the same price, the Surface will be a better value. Think about it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting an ASUS Transformer book as opposed to this. It's more powerful, has more ports, a better keyboard, and a bigger screen. I don't think the "Pro" Surface does enough for me, however, we'll see.

I am thinking I'll get an RT Surface for my dad, who likes to pretty much look at Ebay and surf the web.

Best thing about the Surface IMO is the build quality. Hopefully it gives the other manufacturers a kick in the butt and forces them to start delivering actual quality products. Samsung series 9 is a step in the right direction imo.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting an ASUS Transformer book as opposed to this. It's more powerful, has more ports, a better keyboard, and a bigger screen. I don't think the "Pro" Surface does enough for me, however, we'll see.

I am thinking I'll get an RT Surface for my dad, who likes to pretty much look at Ebay and surf the web.

Best thing about the Surface IMO is the build quality. Hopefully it gives the other manufacturers a kick in the butt and forces them to start delivering actual quality products. Samsung series 9 is a step in the right direction imo.

The Asus Taichi looks pretty awesome too.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting for a replacement for my Gateway E285. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice tablet/laptop convertible but it weights a TON and measures 2" with the extended battery in the back to feed the Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz and dedicated video card for 6 or so hours needed for class notes and such.

I use my laptop for everything(from casual web browsing to designing PCBs and writing code) and ARM options so far haven't offered what I need, such as a true desktop OS. This looks like the perfect upgrade for me as long as it'll work with a stylus for notes in class.

I will miss the 14.1" screen but I'll make the trade for a full HD LCD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes