Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doublebullout
  1. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm guessing no one has the answer since I haven't seen anything about it but it can't hurt to ask. Apps written for metro are going to be able to be ran on both ARM and Intel W8 tablets. Is Microsoft going to set it up where apps could be coded once and ran on both tablets along with WP8? Also, It would be awesome if the new xbox is able to run the same apps.
  2. occer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I'm guessing no one has the answer since I haven't seen anything about it but it can't hurt to ask. Apps written for metro are going to be able to be ran on both ARM and Intel W8 tablets. Is Microsoft going to set it up where apps could be coded once and ran on both tablets along with WP8? Also, It would be awesome if the new xbox is able to run the same apps.
    Maybe can run on WP but not Xbox 360. xbox 360 supports no upper Api.
  3. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by occer View Post
    Maybe can run on WP but not Xbox 360. xbox 360 supports no upper Api.
    I was talking about xbox 720.
  4. jeremyshaw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    602 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #4  
    I don't see the next Xbox running WP or WinRT apps. It would seriously annoy a large amount of OEMs, as one could simply buy an Xbox instead of a new computer.


    Though.... I'd love it if it could, it's been a fantasy of mine. MS hardware all around for the MS ecosystem.
  5. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    I don't see the next Xbox running WP or WinRT apps. It would seriously annoy a large amount of OEMs, as one could simply buy an Xbox instead of a new computer.


    Though.... I'd love it if it could, it's been a fantasy of mine. MS hardware all around for the MS ecosystem.
    I would agree it won't run Windows 8. I would like the apps to be compatible though.
  6. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    I don't see the next Xbox running WP or WinRT apps. It would seriously annoy a large amount of OEMs, as one could simply buy an Xbox instead of a new computer.
    I think/hope that Microsoft no longer cares about annoying OEMs. Last night's Surface announcement shows that Microsoft can build amazing hardware on their own. And let's face it, the OEMs need that kick-in-the-**** from Daddy every now and then.
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
    wolf1891 likes this.
  7. InfectedPhreak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think the transparency between which platforms will have what, really comes down to what they are designed for. While the Xbox is continuing to have more and more available apps, I just don't see an overload of apps in the future. Whereas Win8+WP8, there will a huge trade off because of apps that are very similar and can run in both phone form and tablet form (like the iPhone and iPad).
  8. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Also, It would be awesome if the new xbox is able to run the same apps.
    The leaked Xbox.Next document suggested that it, like WP8, would have a Windows 8 base. I don't think any of the platforms will run identical apps because it doesn't make sense, but developers should be able to use almost everything but the UI.
  9. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #9  
    I don't see all the platforms running the exact same apps. But I can see a scenario where it would be very easy to port apps to different form factors in the same ecosystem. So once the main app is made, in a matter of days there could be versions running on other form factors.

    But I think we'll likely see some customized apps that are neat by themselves, but become totally awesome when you have their companion apps on other devices. I suppose that's what SmartGlass is all about.
  10. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I don't see all the platforms running the exact same apps. But I can see a scenario where it would be very easy to port apps to different form factors in the same ecosystem. So once the main app is made, in a matter of days there could be versions running on other form factors.

    But I think we'll likely see some customized apps that are neat by themselves, but become totally awesome when you have their companion apps on other devices. I suppose that's what SmartGlass is all about.
    To Winning Guy: Holy s***! Am I seeing a AIM user in the wild in this day and age??? I thought they were extinct!
  11. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    To Winning Guy: Holy s***! Am I seeing a AIM user in the wild in this day and age??? I thought they were extinct!
    Haha.

    I just have it hooked up to my Google Chat. I don't know if I even remember my AIM password.
  12. fatclue_98's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,717 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    To Winning Guy: Holy s***! Am I seeing a AIM user in the wild in this day and age??? I thought they were extinct!
    I wonder if he also has a NetZero account as well. Hee-hee.

Posting Permissions