is Microsoft slower than molasses?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
dont get me wrong, i love this platform... but is it just me, or is MS slower than molasses? i kind of feel like i am in a constent waiting game... the progress is definately there, but i dont feel like we're moving in strides, but rather baby steps.

there really hasnt been any major improvements since mango, and that was october 2011... so now they tease us with windows 8 and the surface, but arent going to be available until holiday season of 2012? i get the idea of trying to get the news out asap, but may have been a little early. i just think that coming into this game so late, we need to be on par with competition. and we jumped in behind ,and are now playing catch up. and to play catch up you have to move quicker than this... does anyone else feel like we are constantly waiting?

and so now by the tmie windows 8 comes out, i wonder if that technology will be dated? lets face it technology moves at a very rapid pace

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft never was known for speed. Just consider how often Windows and Office get updated.

Android will always get quick updates, since it is Linux-based. A typical Linux distro gets updated every 6-8 months.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
oh i know, but they better pick it up if they want to be successful.

the reason i bring this up is because i reached out to my IT department about developing a banking app for windows OS, here was our conversation

me - My manager **** informed me that you were responsible for our mobile application developement, and I love it! I actually was hoping we would have one of these very soon, both for me and our customers. So Thank you. I was wondering what it would require for us to develop this application on windows phone operating systems. I currently use one, and it is a rapidly growing platform with millions of users worldwide. With windows phone 8, it uses native coding so it wouldn’t be too difficult to port the app over. It would only extend the conveniences to more of our customers, thus increasing customer retention and cross sell numbers… what are your thoughts?

them - Good question. You are correct the windows platform is growing again. It was an initial success in 2005 or so and then lost users as Blackberry and others started creating mobile functionality. Given the size of our base, 65% are Apple (iOS), 30% Android, 4% Blackberry and 1% Windows, our initial efforts have focused on Apple and Android solutions. Next year we are working a tablet solution and continued enhancements to our existing supported solutions. We will continue to monitor the growth of windows in 2012 and 2013 and look at development opportunities as the market evolves.

Again, thanks for your questions.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone has been a change of culture to Microsoft. They update every 2 years normally. In the phone world that just doesn't cut it, so they will get the hang of it. changing to the Windows 8 kernel will help as kernel developments will have a larger team working on them.

I think when WP8 comes out we will see more progress.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this.

Microsoft already release at least 2 major updates a year. Thats twice as many as iOS users get, and generally they are huge updates. Its not as if they have been twiddling their thumbs. Just look at the Windows 8 announcement, they've addressed an awful lot of the issues people have with WP7.

Lets also not forget the constant battle Microsoft have with Telcos to actually get the updates out. Even though WP is a tiny fish in a huge pond, Microsoft still get 2 worldwide co-ordinated updates out a year. I bet thats a huge struggle, any more, and they telcos would laugh in their face.

Maybe Microsoft should go with the Apple approach. Keep quiet for 6 months, then tell everyone about the new update, and release it the same day.

Or maybe they should take the google approach. Stop forcing telcos and manufacturers to support every update, and just update stuff monthly, but people get lost in every wash.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand this.

Microsoft already release at least 2 major updates a year. Thats twice as many as iOS users get, and generally they are huge updates. Its not as if they have been twiddling their thumbs. Just look at the Windows 8 announcement, they've addressed an awful lot of the issues people have with WP7.

Lets also not forget the constant battle Microsoft have with Telcos to actually get the updates out. Even though WP is a tiny fish in a huge pond, Microsoft still get 2 worldwide co-ordinated updates out a year. I bet thats a huge struggle, any more, and they telcos would laugh in their face.

Maybe Microsoft should go with the Apple approach. Keep quiet for 6 months, then tell everyone about the new update, and release it the same day.

Or maybe they should take the google approach. Stop forcing telcos and manufacturers to support every update, and just update stuff monthly, but people get lost in every wash.

define "major update"? because for me mango is the only major update we've seen since its release.... nodo, 8107, and tango are not major updates...

but not so much focusing on the updates anyway, just its overall growth. it seems a little slow... i am still very optimistic and personally cant wait for windows 8. i hope its what weve all been waiting for

one other thing, i think it is all the hype with google and ios6 right now that are actually present that concerns me... the verge pi$$es me off too btw. after MS keynote and secret event, the verge only had one little tile with the news, and everything else was gs3 reviews ect... yesterday with googles i/o their whole page was covered in google news... and it wasnt anywhere near as exciteing imo... a nexus tablet? big deal...

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To me, Major Updates are the worldwide co-ordinated ones.

Nodo for instance, didn't add many features, but made phones one heck of a lot quicker. Tango may not be massive on features again, but those with lower spec phones should see reliability improvements. If WP7 has been optimised for lower spec phones, i'd be supprised if the rest of us didn't see performance improvements.

Just because i don't see a feature change, doesn't mean i can't appreciate that stuff under the hood can count as a massive change.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
sure, agree to disagree then! :p

but for me even in preformance , they arent real improvements, more so bug fixes.

but MS being slow can be a good thing too!\

the tourtise (<----- probaly spelled incorrectly) and the hare story, lol... we all know who wins.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
sure, agree to disagree then! :p

but for me even in preformance , they arent real improvements, more so bug fixes.

but MS being slow can be a good thing too!\

the tourtise (<----- probaly spelled incorrectly) and the hare story, lol... we all know who wins.

Tortoise. You're welcome. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion